Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway safety campaign launched

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

There's no issue with speed on motorways in Ireland. Motorways in Ireland have a design limit of 160kph.

That's some urban myth. I've never come across that. The design speed is 120 km/h. And was always so, even when the speed limit was 70 mph or 113 km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I don't think we've ever been able to find a reliable reference for the 160km/h figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That's some urban myth. I've never come across that. The design speed is 120 km/h. And was always so, even when the speed limit was 70 mph or 113 km/h.

OK. But what required changes to motorways would be needed to increase it to a design limit of 130kph which is standard in a lot of European countries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the design speed cannot be 120 as safety margins would not allow it. Every engineering project will have minimum margins built in, usually 25-50% when the public are involved. If the design speed was only 120 then you wouldn't be able to easily negotiated corners at 160 on motorways for example as the banking would be all wrong and you'd drift out of the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Badly needed!!! Driving northbound today on M50. Woman in car pulled up in hard shoulder, in car, no hazards on. Applying make up in vanity mirror. I nearly crashed from the shock!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement