Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright Legalities

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Leaving everything else aside, in terms of the end product that you seek, there is something very telling in the photographers reply as quoted by you. Personally, I would suggest to forget about it and move along. You indicate they say;

Plus, you indicate that you have asked to get him to do the canvas (assuming he would be compensated for doing so), and he wouldn't bite. This is a little unusual as if he is depending on image sales for his livelihood.

Both the above points combined, and reading through the lines, he (presuming it is a he) is telling you here - he has snapped a wide scene and cropped the bejaysus out of it to come up with the image which your husband has become the subject of. You are down now to a technical level - something that will produce at most a 6x4 print or is suitable for web page usage only won't go (enlarge) to something that is going to hang proudly on your living room wall.

In simple terms, the available digital data which makes up the photograph won't "stretch" large enough to give a reasonable print.

I would humbly suggest that even if the law was on your side or if the decency of mankind was at play here and the photographer was willing to gift you the source image, that it still wouldn't be possible to get what you are seeking.

Sorry.

You mean it would be too pixellated (?sp) for publishing on canvass

I actually do understand the technical stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

angelfire9 wrote: »
    You mean it would be too pixellated (?sp) for publishing on canvass

I actually do understand the technical stuff :D

Yup, unfortunately so.

Even though canvas is more forgiving than for normal print purposes, something that will only produce a 6x4 scaled to even 8x12 wouldn't work at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Do as suggested above and hit print screen and then goggle artist's in your area and ask them to 'proper' paint it onto a canvas for you. I'm sure you'd get it reasonable enough and i've seen it done for a mate of mine who's parents had no wedding photo of them together and the artist took 2 photos and done and outstanding job on it for about €200(i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

WIZE wrote: »
    take a print screen then paste into paint and save as jpeg
    lucyfur09 wrote: »
    Do as suggested above and hit print screen and then goggle artist's in your area and ask them to 'proper' paint it onto a canvas for you. I'm sure you'd get it reasonable enough and i've seen it done for a mate of mine who's parents had no wedding photo of them together and the artist took 2 photos and done and outstanding job on it for about €200(i think)

Don't do either of these things. They are examples of violation of copyright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement