Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best possible ab routine to get a noticable set of abs

Options
  • 08-04-2011 9:45pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭

i'm going to make a fresh start at the stronglifts program in the next coming weeks and this time im going to leave out the ab exercises out of stronglifts and follow a different routine for abs

I really want this six pack now more than ever, so even if i dont manage to keep up the stronglifts due to college, work, study etc etc (even though i hope to keep it up) i can do my best to continue with the the ab routine

as far as i can tell about myself i have not got a stitch of fat on me, im about 57 kg (just over 8.5 stone) and about 5"8 so very skinny

i know about the link between muscle gain and diet and food so i hope to improve my diet a fair bit too (going try and start drinking 2 litres of milk per day to help with the calorie intake)

preferable if the abs routine didn't contain equipment it would be handier because i could do the any time or anywhere

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

If you don't have a stitch of fat on you, you should already have visible abs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

If you don't have a stitch of fat on you, you should already have visible abs.

its a figure of speech. either way i am very skinny. at the minute i might have a one pack if theres such a thing, it becomes a bit more visible if i try and flex alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Do you mind me asking why you want a six pack?

It is quite unhealthy to have one for more than a week or two... unless you are genetically gifted and have been lucky enough to be one of those people who have abs quite easily, which by the sounds of it you're not...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

OP can I ask your sex & height?

I am guessing male, as the acquisition of a six pack seems to be a male preoccupation :) and as you are in college, I am guessing around 20 ish for your age.

So if I am correct you are a 20 yr old male, 5' 8" tall and weight 57 kg. IMHO you would be better forgetting about a six pack for the time being and concentrate on building yourself up a little.

Although I am more than twice your age, I am 2 inches shorter than you at 5' 6" and weigh about 80kg @ about 13% body fat with a 31" waist and I would not be considered to have an overly muscular build.

57kg at 5' 8" if you are indeed a 20 yr old male sounds really really light to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Do you mind me asking why you want a six pack?

It is quite unhealthy to have one for more than a week or two... unless you are genetically gifted and have been lucky enough to be one of those people who have abs quite easily, which by the sounds of it you're not...

This IMO is not correct. On average a male will have visible abs at around 10% body fat and a female at around 14% body fat. I do not think that either of these figures are unreasonably low, or would be considered dangerous. So anybody male of female who was consistent with their training and ate a clean, balanced diet 95% of the time to support their training, could easily walk around with a six pack 12 months of the year, without any adverse effects to their health.

Taking it to the extremes the way professional body builders do for competition would not be advisable as they are usually down to a figure that would be close to that considered to be essential body fat, which I think is about 3%-4% for a male and 6%-8% for a female. To get here they have pretty much starved and dehydrated themselves, so you could not stay at this level for long. And they don't. within a couple of days of the comp they will be no where near as ripped as they were on comp day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Yeah i've had a visible six pack for the past few months and i'm far from unhealthy. I'm 94 kgs and under 10% BF.

I've had them before but what really worked for me this time was carb cycling. I lift 3 days and do cardio for 3 days. I would eat carbs around workouts on days that i lift weights. On cardio days i would eat a tiny amount of carbs at breakfast and after the workout. And on the rest day i'd avoid carbs.

I don't follow a program but i focus my week around deadlifts, squats, shoulder press and bench press. Recently i've got into adding assisstance exercises to build up muscles needed to perform the above lifts such as dips, using the smith machine, pull ups, low rows, high pulls, face pulls, etc. And on cardio days i'll a lot of bodyweight exercises such as burpees, squats, dips, push ups before doing maybe 15-20 mins of straight cardio.

Since changing to the above i've been in the best shape of my life. And i've been lifting weights for years.

Advertisement