Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show 08/04/11

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

miriam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Moncreiff would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Vincent Browne!

I'm not so sure about his political views but after watching bits of the first couple of his Friday night shows (which are meant to be more "light entertainment"), I think he might be just what the LLS needs.

He would certainly ask the "difficult questions". And he doesn't have the same smugness and sense of being totally out of touch that we've seen Tubridy display.

He's an experienced journalist who, in the past has put his neck on the line for the sake of his work.

I've just noticed on his Friday night shows (when he's not banging on about politics!) that he seems to be a likeable sort, down to earth.

Of course though, it'll never happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

starryeye wrote: »
    Who would be a really good host for the LLS?

Paul Stokes :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Flimbos wrote: »
    Vincent Browne!

I'm not so sure about his political views but after watching bits of the first couple of his Friday night shows (which are meant to be more "light entertainment"), I think he might be just what the LLS needs.

He would certainly ask the "difficult questions". And he doesn't have the same smugness and sense of being totally out of touch that we've seen Tubridy display.

He's an experienced journalist who, in the past has put his neck on the line for the sake of his work.

I've just noticed on his Friday night shows (when he's not banging on about politics!) that he seems to be a likeable sort, down to earth.

Of course though, it'll never happen!

Omg Vincent would be brilliant!!!! And hilarious!!!

Love it!!!!

Seriously, my vote is for Vincent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I know we joked about bringing back Gay, truth is stranger than fiction:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1375361/Roll-Colette--Gaybo-light-Friday-night.html?ITO=1490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He's dead!
    Poly wrote:
    I know we joked about bringing back Gay, truth is stranger than fiction:

He's not dead?!

Rather than devising a whole new show for the summer, surely it would make more sense to run the Late Late all year round, with guest presenters whenever Tubridy goes on his holidays. This would make it easier to eventually find a new permanent presenter. Because Tubridy is clearly unsuited to the genre.

RayM wrote: »
    He's dead!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055889359&page=3

Oh Jesus, you're right. I did not know.

No laughing matter.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

starryeye wrote: »
    Who would be a really good host for the LLS?
    Sean Moncreif and vincent brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It'll be great to see Gay back in a chat show again. If they can get some good acts in (not stuff Crystal Swing and Jedward), it could be a great show.

Yeah,it would be great to see Gaybo back, even at 76 he could still inject a bit of youthful exuberance, controversy and energy back into the LL show.

Imagine he brought all his auld cronies back on, Parkie, Billy Connelly, Lenny Herny....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

He's dead.

He'd still probably do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Poly wrote: »
    Yeah,it would be great to see Gaybo back, Imagine he brought all his auld cronies back on, Parkie, Billy Connelly, Lenny Herny....
    and don't forget Sinead O'Connor. Uncle Gaybo loved her too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Sean Moncreif and vincent brown
    And Jedward could be roving reporters...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

"Ryan Tubridy has boosted Late Late popularity."

If the Late Late Show is getting more audience figures now it's because of the greatest recession since the 1921! They might as well claim that Tubridy is responsible for people not going out on Friday nights anymore.

Honestly, I would expect more reliability from The Daily Mail (seriously!).

I don't know what's going to happen to Tubridy, it's hard to imagine him doing this for the next 10+ years (and if he does then God help us all). I hope he throws in the towel soon and says he wants to go on to do "different things".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

amdublin wrote: »
    Well there's been no change from when you used post...

Hey, come on back, you were great craic :)

Why, thank you very much. :)
    It's been particularly bad for the past month.. The show about "The Irish - A great bunch of lads" was nauseating and cringey.. The show with Keating was always gonna be judged on that interview and whether Tubridy asked the question, which he didnt... And last night's show had effectively no real guests aside from Jessie J, who Tubrity felt obliged to ask about her illness (i.e. she had a stroke when she was 18) and her Irish connections..

RTE are gonna have to have a sit down with Tuberity when this season is finished.. The Ronan Keating interview was a real lowpoint for Tubridy, it needs to be put to him that if he is not prepared to ask the hard questions, then he is not the right man for the job.. A new host who is a bit risqué, is what the show needs.. With Pat and now Tubridy, the show is too much interview by numbers and not enough spontaneity.

I thought the furore over the Ronan Keating was massively overblown tbh. Tubridy's been getting away with avoiding asking the tough questions to his buddies for years. If anything, the controversy over the Keating interview was a culmination of all the times he has repeatedly wimped out and people have finally had enough of it...well, thats what I'd like to believe.

The fact that Ronan Keating is a dislikable tit had a lot to do with it too I would imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

He's dead!

nre.
    amdublin wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055889359&page=3

Oh Jesus, you're right. I did not know.

No laughing matter.

RIP.

Oh gosh, I didn't know this.

Didn't mean to disrespect the dead.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

telekon wrote: »
    Why, thank you very much. :)

I wouldnt read too much in to the compliments here Tele.. given that it is the Late Late Show thread, people have a tendency to fall into the same fawning mannerisms as the host... I think you're wonderful as well, btw.. you're "just what the country needs right now".. :D
    Tubridy's been getting away with avoiding asking the tough questions to his buddies for years.

I completely agree with you on this one.. Not asking the question of Keating was the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of people.. His prime focus in all his interviews seems to be to avoid confrontation, not to ask interesting, probing questions... After a series of soft soap interviews, people wanted Keating grilled if he was going to get air time to promote his album.. And this interview completely brought to a head his lack of courage as an interviewer....

And it's kind of ironic that he's pissed off more guests by licking their boots (like Juliette Binnoche) than he has by asking them uncomfortable questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Yes he did mention his new venture, its what business people do and especially in a recession. More power to him. A genuine good guy. the best of luck to him.

No, what business people do is pay large sums of money for 30-second TV slots. They don't get handed 20 minutes to talk about it to dlb.
    Perhaps they are just trying to give us an indication of the serious jobs crisis in this country when the hurlers cant get jobs.

Yeah, after all, sideline cuts are a much sought-after skill in the modern economy.
    daddydick wrote: »
    People here who are ridiculing the likes of Larry Corbett and Padraig Maher for going on the LLS and telling their story need to ask themselves two questions:

1) what went wrong in my life that I find myself sitting in on a Friday night watching a show I hate while moaning and complaining to strangers over the internet?

better than moaning and complaining to strangers that your amateur sport doesn't pay you a salary. Why not quit the gaa and set up a professional league, see how far they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/news/gaa/Ewan-MacKenna-blog-The-Late-Grate-Show.aspx

It’s almost all as galling as Ryan Tubridy’s ignorance and lack of research into a sport which clearly doesn’t impact his circles. If the GAA wants to help their inter-county players financially, then that is their business, yet the players agree that they don’t want that. But if the GAA thinks inter-county players deserve to get work ahead of everyone else based purely on status, then that’s my business, it’s your business, it’s everyone’s business. Plenty of inter-county players have been looked after for years with jobs they aren’t qualified to do but that Ireland is now over and they need to compete with the rest.

I wish Lar Corbett well and hope his pub thrives. And I wish all GAA players out of work a job. But no more so than anyone else, because just like sport, getting on top in the real world should be based on skill and talent and ability. Not on a reputation some think should get them ahead of the curve.

i like lar corbetts models!!
    http://tipptatler.ie/2011/04/2010-hurler-of-the-year-lar-corbett-launches-new-business/

Advertisement