Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAGE CONTENDER X : DUBLIN : 23 JULY 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I had a great night at this. Huge respect to every fighter who got in there. Not one staller among the bunch, all gave it every ounce they had. The atmosphere was electric and I'm proud of my teammates and coaches for their displays.

I couldn't fault the event much apart from one or two little things. I thought not having the houselights up before the card started was a bit annoying as it made it quite hard to find seats. The national anthem was a bit naff too.

Otherwise, it was a fantastic event and a night I shan't be forgetting anytime soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Full review and pics are up on fightireland

IMG_8424.JPG

http://www.fightireland.com/2011/07/cage-contender-x-reviewed.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

SDTimeout wrote: »
    The patented McGahon report will be uploaded tonight. I'm just going for my chinese now!

Excellent night, got to put a few faces to usernames. Great fights, obviously I'm gutted about the Torres loss but I always said the SBG guys have gameplans down to a T. Very similar to how Chris beat that blackbelt in his last fight.
    Yes my very own thoughts. Not taking away from Chris Fields - excellent fight, my fight of the night - but he seemed to have John Redmond well sussed out. For example, when John Redmond had Chris Fields in the clinch and started throwing knees, Chris Fields almost timed it perfectly each time to trip up the supporting foot and John Redmond then to land on his back. Excellent perparedness in my 'expert' opinion :)

To be honest, I thought Chris Fields had too many tools in the box for John Redmond, though by no means would I say we have heard the last of the man from Rush.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Why was it played at all? Complete cringworthy. I hope at least the fighters were informed that they would have to stand an extra few minutes in the ring.

On another note, it was a fantastic event, very well run. All the fights were great, some great finishes, fair play to all involved. Hope it comes here again soon. Look forward to watching it again on Setanta next week.
    Best organised MMA event I have been to, and that includes Cage Rage down in the Point a few years ago. Excellent, every detail taken care of, hats off to John Ferguson, even complimentary's for the after party !!! Met some MMAers down from Rathmelton in Donegal in the night club, good to see MMA clubs starting to branch into the small towns around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yay, I'm awake and alive - but still hanging!.

Right, fantastic event last night.. Any MMA fan's who don't checkout a Cage Contender event must have a hole in their head - its a brilliant display of Irish MMA talent.

I met a few new boards.ie 'friends, its always nice putting a face to a username - I wonder if the f*ckwit who kicked over my my three bottles of €5:50 Carlsberg is a boardsie :mad:

Can't recall any particular highs as it was rocking from the opening bell, loved Richie Gorey's victory celebration!.

On a personal level I'd like to extend a deep appreciation to John Fergusion from me & my wife for all you done for us last night, thank you - I won't forget it, we'd a ball and my wife left asking when is the next event - I'll never get a post-fight night out with the lads again :(

SDtimeout ya fecker, I don't have a swastika on my chest :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mate of mine had never been to a martial arts fight let alone MMA and I dragged him along. He loved it, he's a fan now! He took this pic of the calm before the storm.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

This is the full fight from start to finish.

Its very dark as the fighters make their entry but from then it should be pretty much great quality.

The sound will clear up too.

Sorry I couldn't edit out the anthem :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curious100

What a night for Cage Contender, some great fights. Once again SBGi fighters put on a fantastic show, if any team deserved to celebrate they did, they are a different class. Well done to John Kavanagh and his fight team, an absolute pleasure to watch. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 listen to me now

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    Phil via TKO

Davern needs to find a new sport !!:o:o:o

An ignorant statement indeed, probably from a fierce keyboard warrior!. I couldnt understand how everyone was favouring gorey for this fight. ok fair enough he won and congrats to him, but from what i hear from people who have rolled with both Davern is by far the better grappler on the ground and against the cage...even with goreys judo black belt. Davern just didnt get a chance to get started. It was a shot that anyone could have been caught with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 meerkatmark

Don't know how everyone else thought but i had a great night of entertainment and fights.

Really enjoyed the fights with most of them not even getting past the first round.

Was delighted to be out of the place and on my way to NV by 10.30, can't wait for the next one, the tallafornia boys are going on tour to belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

An ignorant statement indeed, probably from a fierce keyboard warrior!. I couldnt understand how everyone was favouring gorey for this fight. ok fair enough he won and congrats to him, but from what i hear from people who have rolled with both Davern is by far the better grappler on the ground and against the cage...even with goreys judo black belt. Davern just didnt get a chance to get started. It was a shot that anyone could have been caught with.

What about without my judo blackbelt?

Gorey_R wrote: »
    What about without my judo blackbelt?
    Sorry not trying to disrespect your black belt or take from your win man. Maybe i should have rephrased that. I simply meant that davern, from what i see and hear is very good against the cage and i dont think judo skills would have been a problem for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

Sorry not trying to disrespect your black belt or take from your win man. Maybe i should have rephrased that. I simply meant that davern, from what i see and hear is very good against the cage and i dont think judo skills would have been a problem for him.

I don't care. I have loads of belts, that's not even my favorite one.

Ya Davern is a bear sure. I've never even done judo with a bear before! I don't think judo skills have ever been a problem for any bear before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hats off to the ring girls, lovely bottoms on all of them

Dave! wrote: »
    Hats off to the ring girls, lovely bottoms on all of them
    Anyone got any good pics of them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Anyone got any good pics of them ?

281421_188897231171787_100001545336203_520881_4492782_n.jpg281396_188909781170532_100001545336203_520958_7935273_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

283264_188897307838446_100001545336203_520882_4278901_n.jpg282036_188910027837174_100001545336203_520963_1701900_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Creepy this thread has gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

exciting this trend has become

i seen on twitter from the bald commentator i think it was that the standing area had a carnival type atmosphere, i have to agree. We all had to go through this area to get to our seats, they were right beside the bar, had access to the food, grand view of the cage and or screens (unless your a midget) and had a machine to punch

heres all that was missing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vINCq_IAI

oh yeh, and all for €12 i think it was

p.s. i heard some foreign bloke asking where the "standing seats are" priceless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

i seen on twitter from the bald commentator

He's gonna love that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

So he's reading my twitter, where you can't avoid reading my name, but he's decided to act all casual and pretend he doesn't know who I am lol.

I'm only called baldy by those who love me the most.

;) thought youd enjoy that one barry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

;) thought youd enjoy that one baldy

i'd say he did!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

haha, nice

i`d have to say that there always seems to be a bigger crowd in the dublin shows..especially if u compare to cc ix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Hi Folks

Sorry that it has taken me a while to get around to this but it has been a pretty manic few days with one thing and another.

I just want to say a massive personal thanks to a few groups of people, without who CCX would not have been our most successful event to date.

Firstly to the fighters and coaches, each and every time I deal with you guys it reminds me of how lucky I am to be in this industry. Your passion, professionalism and dedication to what you do is inspirational - as I say time and again without you there is no show. - Thanks

The CC Officials - Refs, Judges and Time keeper - It's an often thankless job that you do, but you just get on with it and make it happen. The CC officials are a close knit team and it shows more and more every time - Thanks

CC Staff and Production team - You guys are working closest with me in the run up to and during the event, inevitably this means that you have to put up with my OCD demands and more often than not my temper :p , you know its for the right reasons but I would like to take this chance to thank you publicly for all that you do - Thanks

The fans - What can I say? You are amazing!!! You seen the Fightcard..... You read the Hype...... And you BOUGHT THE TICKET!!! you come back to CC time and again and for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

If I have missed anybody, forgive me please and thanks!

See u all soon

JF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The Left Hook

Great night ,the atmosphere was fantastic too.

i seen on twitter from the bald commentator i think it was that the standing area had a carnival type atmosphere, i have to agree.
    Is this him ? The Baldy Man ?

the-baldy-man.jpg

( also known as Rab C Nesbitt !!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Not Just Judo Skills.. "Souza" managed to win the Absolute and his weight division in Blue belt this Year at Munster Open. With some very Talented irish competitors in those divisions.
    Hes not all IPPON! .........well ........not all the time.;)

And also like to say. This was a Fantastic Show! Very well run.

Advertisement