Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying In Finglas

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

^ this is totally true. Majority of the people who have said negative things on here dont or have never lived in Finglas in their life. They might as well not know their arse from their elbow.

The majority of people in the thread who have said they lived/from Finglas have said that it is ok place to live in. I have to agree that the people I met there have been really nice people. I went to school there and still in contact with Primary and Secondary school friends. Like I said before they have normal jobs and live a normal life just like any other Irish person.

Theres very few people I know from Clare, Galway, Cork etc who can say they still kept in contact with school friends from their area. There are alot of community associations in the area, garden shows etc. So there is a sense of community.

As for Bono from Finglas. I dont think he ever covered up the fact he was from there. It was because that part of Finglas East got renamed in the 80s as Glasnevin North. As a result its most likely journalists who claim he is from Glasnevin/Old Ballymun. When he would have grown up there Ballymun didnt even exist, they were just building the high rise flats etc. Majority of Glasnevin "North" is actually the original Finglas. However during the 80s with the "newer" Finglas West and South, some people wanted to distance themselves from the area and called it Glasnevin North. It is now officially recognised as Glasnevin North...but as I said from 1940s - 1985 it would have been original Finglas. Original Finglas went as far as Ballymun Avenue down to Ballygall East...but sure everyone now knows most of that has been renamed as Glasnevin North! So go figure...so many snobby people or people just too embarrassed to admit they are from Finglas which I am not suprised by the snobbery that has been displayed on this thread.

I know a guy from Glasnevin who's brother bought a flat in Premier Square and sold it off as being in Glasnevin. Thats typical of property around this area (and might be true of other areas in Dublin). Majority of properties are sold off as Glasnevin, or Dublin 11 instead of mentioning the true fact that they are actually in Finglas.

Anyone else who wants to tell me Finglas is full of crime and murderers on this thread, well I should offer you to PM me for a drink...to find out what a "normal real" person from Finglas is like.

I used to go out and tell men chatting me up in pubs I was from North County Dublin or Ashbourne road instead of telling them Finglas. Now i dont give a ****e and say Finglas. Lump it if people are on their high horse and think they I better then me because they dont live in Finglas. I couldnt give a ****e, if they are that small minded, they are people I dont want as friends anyway. Id rather Finglas people over them any day.

Sure there are council houses in Ballinteer, Blackrock, Shankill, etc the list goes on. Not all of this area's are "posh" at all by any means. Ive lived in posh rich area's in Palo Alto California, Cambridge/Cornwall England and Bordeaux, France and nowhere in Dublin comes anywhere near the same level. I would regard the quality of life in Dublin to be the same standard regardless of the suburb you live in. Its much the same. This is based on the other area's I have lived in. I mean in Palo Alto it was standard to have a huge mansion, swimming pool and live next door to Steve Jobs (founder of Apple)...those area's were really WOW. Nothing in Dublin is really wow, and even the coast/mountains are very easy and quick to access. So it nonsense making out one suburb is more brillant then the other because Dublin itself is a teeny tiny city anyway and every "area" is on top of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Anyone else who wants to tell me Finglas is full of crime and murderers on this thread, well I should offer you to PM me for a drink...to find out what a "normal real" person from Finglas is like.

If you think people were actually saying that I think you need to re-read the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

Falconhoof wrote: »
    Cheap fuel at the tesco there as well if you can live with the double murders.

complete fallacy, tesco has the more expensive fuels in the area

check pumps.ie to inform yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I think the crux of this argument (and of the safety of any other area) lies on the experiences of people who have actually lived there. For those that've lived there and haven't been the victims of local crime then things will appear hunky dory and they'll come on here and say so. I too would have said that 6 months ago, in fact I was saying it to friends, sure Finglas is grand, it's just got a bad rep, etc., etc.

But since then my motorbike has been nicked on no less than 3 occasions. So my viewpoint has shifted- dramatically. I'm moving away and I wouldn't advise any of my friends to live there.

It's all down to individual perspectives but at the end of the day when you look at the crime stats Finglas is a dodgy suburb, period. You might live there your whole life and nothing will ever happen you. But the chances of something happening you or your property are higher there than in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

RATM you,re right..it is down to experience and your own perspective... and i,m sorry bout your bad experiences..whats annoying is people tarnishing the whole area.., I dont mean yourself...its a huge suburb stretching from Charlestown all the way to Ballymun bordered by Glasnevin ,Cabra etc...I appreciate your point though and I understand your annoyance..but there are scumbags everywhere..oddly enough I,ve had someone recently tell me Charlestown wasnt part of Finglas.. good luck ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Hi OP, I rented in Mayeston Hall on St. Margarets Road for a year, only moved out a few months ago.

Nice apartment block, mostly privately owned, but crime was through the roof up there. Our neighbours were drug dealers and were raided by the drugs squad a few times, the guards confirmed to me that they were well known crims. There would be a constant stream out of their apartment at night with taxis calling at all hours etc.

Our car was broken into twice, most people had 3 or 4 break-ins (one night alone had 27 cars broken into, in the "secure" basement carpark). Turned out that some residents were behind it and they were arrested but there is still major problems up that way.

Even if all the residents are ok, Poppintree and Ballymun are only a few minutes away and druggies etc from there pay regular visits. The estate across the road, Hampton Wood, has an even worse time, apartments and houses are broken into there quite regularly and there has been some muggings etc.

Someone posted the link for www.neighbours.ie earlier, wherever you are thinking of, check out the local neighbours forum first, that will tell you what the problems in the area are.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

TBH i wouldnt go near Mayeston Hall or Hampton Wood but they in St. Margaret's rather then Finglas, which the residents will go out their way to tell you.

I have friends living in Hampton Wood - jaysis the places is like downtown Haiti most nights

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

The postal address for Mayeston Hall is St. Margarets Road, Finglas.

I'm not here for a boards debate about geography, I'm informing the OP of a part of Finglas that has problems he/she should be aware of, that's all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/finglas-assault-victim-fighting-for-life-502618.html
    Gardaí investigating a serious assault in Dublin over the weekend are still questioning a 27-year-old man.

The victim is fighting for his life in hospital, after an attack at an apartment in the Premier Square complex in Finglas on Saturday night, during which he suffered serious head injuries.

The 37-year-old is now relying on a life support machine at the Mater hospital.

The man in custody is being held at Finglas garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Hey there - I lived in Premier Square a couple of years ago (the apt is actually for sale now). It was ok but was glad to get out of there and move to a nicer area (Kilmainham). There is only one parking place per apt and very few visitor spots so its a bit of a pain if you have anyone calling over etc. Also some of the neighbours I had were absolutely hellatious noise wise etc. The apartment I lived in as well had a very small box room and a massive double room so that might not suit some ppl.

One of the girls from work just moved out of there recently. She said the fire alarm was constantly being set off at night - this was a problem when I lived there too.

Finglas has good facilities like shop, gym etc but I never went out for a drink there or anything (too many shootings etc at the time!)

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »

a good point..but two weekends ago woman was butchered in her own home in Donaghmede,last weekend two people were killed in a possible arson attack in Cork....and on we go..crime exist in most large suburbs..I,ve lived in Finglas ,im not from there and its one place I,d move back too...I, ve drank in lots of the pubs, still do occasionally ,have lots of friends from there and family too...
    I was there today ,yesterday ..last week etc ..and nobody shot at me..saw no drug dealing..didnt even see any Gardai....
    If you are going to live there ask somebody who lives there or is actually from the area what its like....dont just randomly rent an apartment or house without enquiring first...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Lived in Finglas for a couple of months, the video shop had a doorman in the evening times when i was there! I could not go down to the shops without some young idiot making a comment....

Moved out after 2 months.

Living in a dream area now compared.

Give me a nice sheltered life in a quiet area any day of the week!!

Lived in Finglas for a couple of months, the video shop had a doorman in the evening times when i was there! I could not go down to the shops without some young idiot making a comment....

Moved out after 2 months.

Living in a dream area now compared.

Give me a nice sheltered life in a quiet area any day of the week!!

no way..a doorman in Finglas !!!!! imagine that....where ya living now...? wrapped up in cotton maybe,,,Finglas is not for the faint hearted...its a big suburban area..with every type of person living ..good and bad...ya lived there for two months,,maybe you should apply for a Purple Heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

mattjack wrote: »
    no way..a doorman in Finglas !!!!! imagine that....where ya living now...? wrapped up in cotton maybe,,,Finglas is not for the faint hearted...its a big suburban area..with every type of person living ..good and bad...ya lived there for two months,,maybe you should apply for a Purple Heart

Oh for the love of Jaysus, this thread was started by a non-Dub asking advice about Finglas. In that context it would be mind-bogglingly irresponsible to say anything other than Finglas is a one of the roughest and least desirable districts in Dublin to live in. That doesn't make illegitimate your right to live there, nor change the fact you might like it there, nor that there are lots of decent people there. I'm sure all those things are true. But for a new arrival in Dublin, it is a no-brainer to advise avoiding the place by as wide a margin as is practicable.

Oh for the love of Jaysus, this thread was started by a non-Dub asking advice about Finglas. In that context it would be mind-bogglingly irresponsible to say anything other than Finglas is a one of the roughest and least desirable districts in Dublin to live in. That doesn't make illegitimate your right to live there, nor change the fact you might like it there, nor that there are lots of decent people there. I'm sure all those things are true. But for a new arrival in Dublin, it is a no-brainer to advise avoiding the place by as wide a margin as is practicable.

rubbish

rubbish

It's not rubbish.

Look, 2 bed apartments in Premier Square rent for around 900 a month.

There are much much nicer areas in Dublin just as convenient to the city centre etc where you can get a 2 bed apartment to rent in and around the same price.

Take this place as just one example:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1039048

The chances of you having any hassle relating to violence, anti-social behaviour, theft etc are infinitely lower in that location, for the same price.

I lived in Finglas for a year. It wasn't "hell" though it was a very negative experience. Given the choice I would not live there again.

It comes down to an informed choice.

I give up....a few ppl had bad experiences and its one of the worst places in Dublin to live..it has nothing good to show for itself...no soccer or Gaa clubs,no pool ,no library ..no parks or golf clubs...no shopping centres,,,nothing at all....in fact im sorry I ever commented at all on Finglas......

I give up....a few ppl had bad experiences and its one of the worst places in Dublin to live..it has nothing good to show for itself...no soccer or Gaa clubs,no pool ,no library ..no parks or golf clubs...no shopping centres,,,nothing at all....in fact im sorry I ever commented at all on Finglas......

I don't recall seeing anyone say that Finglas had nothing positive going for it.

As I said earlier, it's about making an informed choice. If the availability of those positive amenities outweights the potential negative aspects of the area, then hooray, you have found a place to live.

ok ..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bikerknitter

Iago wrote: »
    So that's one example of a problem.

What would you define as "more than it's fair share" what is the average number of anti-social incidents in any area over the course of a year and how many were in that area?

That's not a dig at you btw, but more a comment that we all allow selection bias to cloud our judgement about these things. I mean I could say "don't forget that a young lad was kicked to death oustide the Burlington so I wouldn't live in the Ballsbridge area" but that wouldn't really paint the full picture.

I've lived in that area for over 4 years now and I haven't had a single issue or reason for complaint. I'm from the south side originally so it's not a case of defending my patch, just my personal experience to date.

I am from the Southside Ballinteer/Dundrum area I moved to the northside to East Wall about a year ago and I have not got any trouble at all. I remember when a member of my family said they didnt like where i live because it was Dodgy. (considering they only been to the place once its hard to judge) I have not got any trouble from people in the area. I find alot of people who are south siders originally tend to not venture to far north unless they are going to the Airport.

i agree with Iago I went to college in Dun Loaghaire and worked in the Burlington (at the time those Bastards beat a guy to death) I knew before this incident happened that something like this would happen. and what did they get just under 1 year and grants for college but if something like that happens in Finglas 'ooh such a dodgy area I'm not surprised.' While i worked in Anabels found myself being assaulted many times by customers and I Wasn't permitted to defend myself as the rich customer is always right. As for Dun Loaghaire Its not a good place to live, I seen a lot more Violence happen there than in Finglas. I dont see myself moving back to the south side at all not that i hate the south side I just love living on the northside.

Since i moved to the north side i found the people are alot more genuine and are friendly and look out for their neighbours. I have friends who have lived in Finglas West all their life and don't have any bother on their road. But there are some areas are dodgy. (like everywhere)

I am considering of buying in Finglas

Like all areas there is Good and bad there are bad areas. For instance in Dundrum and in Ballinteer despite what you hear from people calling it posh, some areas are not that great good few council estates in those areas too. Kids loitering around the shops and teenagers Drinking the cheap stuff like dutch gold and I have seen Fires be lit on the field near where i use to live ( not just at halloween) more times than i have when i visit my mates in Finglas which happens quite frequently.

As for the "drug problems" in Finglas the Drug dealers are everywhere not just in Finglas and are killing their rival drug dealers.

Its hard not to choose an area in Dublin that doesnt have bad parts.

There is good and bad everywhere.

As for buying a house anywhere you should check the area out first go there at different times of the day get a feel for the area. Ask the neighbours if the have any problems in the area etc... Even Visit the local Garda Station and Ask about Crime rate trends etc...

I think if you keep to yourself and not look for trouble it goes with out saying you will be fine.

Areas are changing all the time people grow up or move on to other places.

I hope this makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask the Finglas heads which area is bad. I know a few heads who I won't invite back to the house for a few drinks, and they themselves would consider a section of Finglas dodgy. The heads that live there see the dodgy slant as a badge of pride. I forget which area it is, as my mate no longer lives there (upgraded to Crumlin), but the heads that still live there will defend it if you slant it. Personally, I think it depends on what you're used to.

You may see somewhere as cold and a run down, where in fact it could be a close knit community wary of strangers who put what little money into their place looking good.

I also note that this thread is nearly two years old, and the OP has probably bought his house already.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Mate lives in finglas in Lanesborough
    He calls it Saint Margarets as he in his own words "ashamed to say he lives in finglas"
    Anything outside not screwed to the ground has been stolen
    Patio set taken and BBQ. he chains his new patio set to a ground anchor,
    Car broken into twice. Plenty of Hooded gangs hanging about.
    Wouldnt be my cup of tea!
    He doesnt even bother looking his small outside shed as they just have their locks broken too see whats inside, despite being full of junk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sorry, I live in Lanesborough, and have never had any problems. I am a director on our management company and have also been involved in the Lanesborough resident's association.

Nothing like you are describing is going on.

Yes, like everywhere in Dublin there are breakins. Yeah, like every part of Dublin there are some drug issues, but nothing at all abnormal.

I don't know anyone who has had their home broken in to. I do know someone who had their car broken in to, but then again, when I lived in Dun Laoghaire I knew someone who had their car broken in to too.

As for the name, well, Finglas falls under Dublin city council, while Lanesborough falls under Fingal Co Co, and is marked as Meakstown on the maps.

Have a look on a site like neighbours.ie and you will see more accurate information than some things posted on here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

He calls it Saint Margarets as he in his own words "ashamed to say he lives in finglas"
    Patio set taken and BBQ. he chains his new patio set to a ground anchor,
    Car broken into twice. Plenty of Hooded gangs hanging about.
    Wouldnt be my cup of tea!
    He doesnt even bother looking his small outside shed as they just have their locks broken too see whats inside, despite being full of junk

lanesborough isnt really Finglas, but i have a good few friends living there and they havent had any problems.

I have driven and walk around at various times of night and day and i have never seen any of these hooded gangs you talk about :rolleyes:

Paulw wrote: »
    Sorry, I live in Lanesborough, and have never had any problems. I am a director on our management company and have also been involved in the Lanesborough resident's association.

Nothing like you are describing is going on.

Yes, like everywhere in Dublin there are breakins. Yeah, like every part of Dublin there are some drug issues, but nothing at all abnormal.

I don't know anyone who has had their home broken in to. I do know someone who had their car broken in to, but then again, when I lived in Dun Laoghaire I knew someone who had their car broken in to too.

As for the name, well, Finglas falls under Dublin city council, while Lanesborough falls under Fingal Co Co, and is marked as Meakstown on the maps.

Have a look on a site like neighbours.ie and you will see more accurate information than some things posted on here.

ok I stand corrected

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/86740

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=finglas&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&tbm=isch&tbnid=FmJn9x1kCpBnYM:&imgrefurl=http://www.flickriver.com/places/Ireland/Dublin/Dublin/Finglas/&docid=MEVLejO2ZNQtXM&imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2340947107_1bd81ab324.jpg&w=500&h=332&ei=lnr-UJq9O8WJhQfho4HIBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=155&vpy=226&dur=131&hovh=183&hovw=276&tx=184&ty=105&sig=101320581205996214132&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0,i:163&biw=1024&bih=653

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=finglas&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&tbm=isch&tbnid=cmKwVrfk6hWexM:&imgrefurl=http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/finglas/interesting/&docid=NLMfdQEaZz9M4M&imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/2483931976_0e25969361.jpg&w=500&h=333&ei=lnr-UJq9O8WJhQfho4HIBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=194&vpy=272&dur=284&hovh=145&hovw=218&tx=157&ty=64&sig=101320581205996214132&page=2&tbnh=145&tbnw=218&start=15&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:26,s:0,i:228&biw=1024&bih=653

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=finglas&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&tbm=isch&tbnid=0Quke2KyaLh-eM:&imgrefurl=http://www.flickriver.com/places/Ireland/Dublin/Dublin/Finglas/search/&docid=lWQTj7tZvRSBpM&imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2483167629_12f3606b9b.jpg&w=500&h=333&ei=lnr-UJq9O8WJhQfho4HIBg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=563&sig=101320581205996214132&page=5&tbnh=138&tbnw=200&start=75&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:75,s:0,i:375&tx=99&ty=51&biw=1024&bih=653

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=finglas&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&tbm=isch&imgrefurl=https://www.indymedia.ie/article/74220%3Fauthor_name%3D,%26condense_comments%3Dfalse&tbnid=azQaP1qFrAOGjM&docid=mVhWllW0emDhGM&ved=0CHUQhRYoAA&ei=lnr-UJq9O8WJhQfho4HIBg&dur=1273&biw=1024&bih=653

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55429773

http://www.google.ie/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=653&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=finglas+riots&oq=finglas+riots&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.9079.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.BiToc6zh4Yg

I could sit on here for the next 4 hours putting up more pics and stories.....

He was sitting in the Deputy mayors when a guy had his hand chopped off.......with a samurai.
    Thats how far from lanesborough?.....oh yes.............30 seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Paulw wrote: »
    I am a director on [Lanesborough] management company and have also been involved in the Lanesborough resident's association.

I don't know anyone who has had their home broken in to.

That seems a bit odd...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That seems a bit odd...

What seems odd? There is no Lanesborough management company. It is made up of a number of different managed developments and housing areas. So, there are 6 management companies (that I know of) and then a resident's association for the whole area.
    ok I stand corrected

I could sit on here for the next 4 hours putting up more pics and stories.....

He was sitting in the Deputy mayors when a guy had his hand chopped off.......with a samurai.
    Thats how far from lanesborough?.....oh yes.............30 seconds?

Not a single one of those stories/photos are in or even near Lanesborough. They are all Finglas West. :rolleyes:

Yeah, one major incident in the Deputy Mayor. Nasty event. But, have no other pubs in Dublin have had incidents? I could name some pubs in town or outer areas where there have been shootings. Would that mean the whole area is bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

the_syco wrote: »
    Ask the Finglas heads which area is bad. I know a few heads who I won't invite back to the house for a few drinks, and they themselves would consider a section of Finglas dodgy. The heads that live there see the dodgy slant as a badge of pride. I forget which area it is, as my mate no longer lives there (upgraded to Crumlin), but the heads that still live there will defend it if you slant it. Personally, I think it depends on what you're used to.

You may see somewhere as cold and a run down, where in fact it could be a close knit community wary of strangers who put what little money into their place looking good.

I also note that this thread is nearly two years old, and the OP has probably bought his house already.

Stay away from Finglas South, so anywhere along St. Helena's Road (Valeview, Berryfield, Kippure, Barnmore, Hazelcroft, Cloonlara, Fairlawn) and certain areas of the West would have a bad reputation also... around An Cappagh Nua pub (which is Barry Rd area) would have a bad reputation.

Anywhere else would be quiet enough and OK to live in, although you'll get break ins anywhere there's not much trouble around Deanstown, Cappagh Road, Casement in the West... I'd say Finglas East is probably the best place to live though out of all the parts of Finglas.

January wrote: »
    Stay away from Finglas South, so anywhere along St. Helena's Road (Valeview, Berryfield, Kippure, Barnmore, Hazelcroft, Cloonlara, Fairlawn) and certain areas of the West would have a bad reputation also... around An Cappagh Nua pub (which is Barry Rd area) would have a bad reputation.

Anywhere else would be quiet enough and OK to live in, although you'll get break ins anywhere there's not much trouble around Deanstown, Cappagh Road, Casement in the West... I'd say Finglas East is probably the best place to live though out of all the parts of Finglas.

Finglas South is that basically immediate locality of the back side of Tesco Clearwater roughly?
    Finglas West Im assuming is up near cappagh...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Finglas South is that basically immediate locality of the back side of Tesco Clearwater roughly?
    Finglas West Im assuming is up near cappagh...?

Finglas South would be at the back of Clearwater yes. Wellmount to the right of St. Helena's Rd coming from Clearwater (so where the big park is that they play football in at the weekends) wouldn't be included in that though.

Finglas West is Deanstown, Abbotstown Ave, Ratoath Rd, Cappagh, Mellowes, Barry Rd, Casement and Plunkett.

Advertisement