Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing where a velux meets the plasterboard to stop draughts?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I would safely bet I was on building sites before you were born and judging from your post will be on sites after you.

I do not want any references but I would like the details of the person that signed off on a single boarded 70 mm metal stud partition and the details of architects that specify single leaf boarding for partition walls.

Intel - 146mm stud with 2 layers of 15mm fireline board per side
    Superquinn Rathgar - 70mm stud with single layer of 12.5mm board
    Creche Aungier Street - 50mm stud with 2 layers of soundblock board per side
    BNP Bank - 70mm stud with single layer of GTEC Aqua Board
    Cuisine de France - 70mm stud with double layer of 12.5mm board
    School Balbriggan - 70mm stud with one layer 12.5mm board and one layer of 12.5mm duraline board per side
    Apartments Hanover Quay - 70mm stud with one layer of 12.5mm board per side
    Ladybird Blanchardstown - 146mm stud with single layer of 12.5mm board per side

Just off the top of my head brendan.
    Ring a few architects to see if they specify single layer of 12.5mm board on to a 70mm metal stud partition.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/WB09_Partition_and_walls_systems_09.pdf

Give that link a quick read.........it's the gypsum white book detail for single layer of plasterboard on to 70mm stud walls......has all the details you'll need from fire ratings to sound insulation.

Why would you like the details of an architect who signs of on a single boarded wall?
    Do you not think a fully qualified architect would not know the difference in specs on different wall designs - board types, metal thickness etc?
    Most of the architects i worked under knew the gypsum white book inside out - often climbing up though scaffolds to check deflection head details on partition walls we built - which by the way (for a "so called" conman) we never had a single wall condemned on any project we ever worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

snyper wrote: »
    MF, the "second" coat is and isnt a second coat. The second coat is applied alot lighter than the first coat, - i prefer to use a pvc float on for the second coat, essentially you are using it to even out the first coat, its done as the first layer begins to dry - now ive seen plasterers use the steel trowel on the second coat, but i fnd its not as good at evening out the skim as it doesnt pull out the humps and fill the hollows as well because the steel trowel is smooth - its my fathers way and now my way and hes old school.

Im sure that there are skimmers that night not apply a second coat, i wouldnt judge them until ive seen their work, but in essance, one two or 12 coats is not the problem the op has its the fact the crack has appeared at the window, and the only fault i can really make (other than the way the slab is fitted) is that the skimmer didnt pull the trowel from the windows edge enough hence its a bit rough looking (granted ive seen worse)

Brendan,im not overly familiar with airtightness, but as far as i know - and i stand to be corrected, the air tightness membrane is enveloping the habitable areas of the house - the house fabric ie the roof, still needs to breath, so as far as i know the attic space if not a habitable one is outide of the membrane, in which case the velux flashings will be too.

The more i think about it the more i suspect if there is a draft, it might be comming from the vent in the window

That's what i've seen all plasterers do snyper - i wasn't aware that a second coat was being applied at that stage but it makes sense with the way you have described it.
    Good to see somebody with a brain posting here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

mfceiling wrote: »
    Intel - 146mm stud with 2 layers of 15mm fireline board per side
    Superquinn Rathgar - 70mm stud with single layer of 12.5mm board
    Creche Aungier Street - 50mm stud with 2 layers of soundblock board per side
    BNP Bank - 70mm stud with single layer of GTEC Aqua Board
    Cuisine de France - 70mm stud with double layer of 12.5mm board
    School Balbriggan - 70mm stud with one layer 12.5mm board and one layer of 12.5mm duraline board per side
    Apartments Hanover Quay - 70mm stud with one layer of 12.5mm board per side
    Ladybird Blanchardstown - 146mm stud with single layer of 12.5mm board per side

Just off the top of my head brendan.
    Ring a few architects to see if they specify single layer of 12.5mm board on to a 70mm metal stud partition.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/WB09_Partition_and_walls_systems_09.pdf

Give that link a quick read.........it's the gypsum white book detail for single layer of plasterboard on to 70mm stud walls......has all the details you'll need from fire ratings to sound insulation.

Why would you like the details of an architect who signs of on a single boarded wall?
    Do you not think a fully qualified architect would not know the difference in specs on different wall designs - board types, metal thickness etc?
    Most of the architects i worked under knew the gypsum white book inside out - often climbing up though scaffolds to check deflection head details on partition walls we built - which by the way (for a "so called" conman) we never had a single wall condemned on any project we ever worked on.

You are proving my point for me.

Intel Double board
    super quin Single board (Just a supermarket)
    Crèche Double Board
    Bank Single board (toilets)
    Cuisine de France Double board
    School Double board
    Apartment Single board (Maybe you should check this one again)
    Ladybird 146 stud and single board.

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's what i've seen all plasterers do snyper - i wasn't aware that a second coat was being applied at that stage but it makes sense with the way you have described it.
    Good to see somebody with a brain posting here

What a u turn. Now all are putting on two coats. But you did not know what they were at.

You should just admit you were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

What a u turn. Now all are putting on two coats. But you did not know what they were at.

You should just admit you were wrong.

70mm stud with single slab each side is the most common type of partition being used these days and would be considered standard. While it's obvious you have great knowledge of plastering, you let yourself down when it comes to partitions and ceiling systems:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

70mm stud with single slab each side is the most common type of partition being used these days and would be considered standard. While it's obvious you have great knowledge of plastering, you let yourself down when it comes to partitions and ceiling systems:(

What is used for door frame with 70mm stud and 2 x 12.5mm slabs?

Ive never actually used metal stud, i always use 4" timber stud and use the ordinary internal doorframe, but with a 70mm what doorframe is used?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well holy mother of God, the innocent OP starts a thread regarding gaps in his plasterboard and the world implodes. For the record it doesn't seem a big job to me, a bit of white silicone would keep me happy, but we are all allowed our opinions as to how to sort an issue. One thing the OP will not do I assume is refit the whole window, now that would be a bit much imho.

And opinions is what it comes down to really, from the simple to the complex, to the measured. What I don't like however is piss taking and provoking of peoples opinions. While a lot of ideas differ, its how you present them that matters and brendankelly I'm looking in your direction. Having looked over the thread, you are rude, insulting and can't seem to stop poking people in the eye. I'm not one who knows you but having looked over your history I can see what you have been up to in other forums. Consider this your one and only warning. There won't be any infractions, just a short ban for your next misdemeanor, then a perm ban for the one after that. This is a relaxed forum and the last thing I need if an upstart like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

snyper wrote: »
    What is used for door frame with 70mm stud and 2 x 12.5mm slabs?

Ive never actually used metal stud, i always use 4" timber stud and use the ordinary internal doorframe, but with a 70mm what doorframe is used?

The frames are 103 mm usually. I don't personally fit the frames, just leave the openings but no complaints yet;)

As mfceilings says the partitions are as called up, be it 70mm or 90mm stud, single or double slab, moisture, fire, sound or plain slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The frames are 103 mm usually. I don't personally fit the frames, just leave the openings but no complaints yet;)

As mfceilings says the partitions are as called up, be it 70mm or 90mm stud, single or double slab, moisture, fire, sound or plain slabs.

Ah, a 103 by 44 i assume.. Its a very light frame for a door.. esp when you have wild kids and an angry woman slamming doors!

With respect Delly the thread started with the OP asking for advice. He clearly had a bad plastering job done which I said (the truth) and it then developed into whether plastering should be done in one or 2 coats. I pointed out (again the truth) that it should be done in 2 and others said it should be done in one coat. Snyper, saltandpepper, Ordinaryman and someone else agreed with me while MF ceilings said his plasterers from Cork to Donegal were doing it in one coat and they were right. There was a debate and I admit I wrongly snapped at snyper for which I apologised for and to snypers credit he did not run to you telling tales.
    I have 5 daughters and I gave the OP the exact advice I would give them and I would have hoped that if they had asked for advice they would get honest and direct advice and that was to rip it out and get the job done properly. My daughters or in this case the OP would have the option as to whether take my advice or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

I thought this discussion would go on forever! Glad the questions were put to rest. 2 coats, not one! Hope the OP got their window sealed, please let us all know of the outcome. I am sorry the banter has ended, it was one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 leet44

Err...........my roof window has a fecking big crack beside the plasterboard abutment & I'm sure it's where there was a mouse stomping about on me roof the other night....................mind you it was a hippopotomouse:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 phil mccrackin

did it get two coats of plaster leet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 leet44

just some lime mucker..........d'ya think the mice like lime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

great post folks.... sorry, haven't been on for awhile. I got around the window filled in with painters caulk and by using masking tape as a guide so as to keep it off the timber in the same way that painters would do skirting and architrave. it looks much better now and has stopped some of the draughts.

Advertisement