Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Sea-Eagle killed by wind-turbine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 romulus augustulus

That's awful . I read somewhere that one reason why birds are often killed by the turbines is because they're painted white . This attracts insects , which in turn attracts birds who get killed . I would have thought that there must be some way of detering some birds whether it's using a different colour , ultra-sound or something like that . Unfortunately, you rarely hear this problem discussed - most people think , so what ,it's only a few birds being killed . It seems that this is a subject that very few care about :confused: .

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Birdnuts wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfojaucwsnkf/rss2/

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0404/1224293734180.html

As if these birds don't have enough going against them:(

How this heavily subsidised form of energy can be counted as green given the way it is being developed in this country is beyond me!!:rolleyes:

If you read the articles quoted you'll notice that 9-times as many of these birds have been killed by poison than by wind turbines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Poulaphoca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na6HxKQQsAM - another example of how "green" wind turbines are!

Sadly I'm not suprised that this has happened. In an area of Norway 100s of eagles have been killed by turbines. These turbines are real killers of wildlife and are also a blight on our landscape. And on top of all that they don't work when you need them most - i.e. in frosty calm weather

One wonders how many migratory birds are being killed by the wind-farms out at sea. Its a depressing thought.

I think they are a real scam and a total waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Would prefer them to what they use in Japan.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Poulaphoca wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na6HxKQQsAM - another example of how "green" wind turbines are!

Sadly I'm not suprised that this has happened. In an area of Norway 100s of eagles have been killed by turbines. These turbines are real killers of wildlife and are also a blight on our landscape. And on top of all that they don't work when you need them most - i.e. in frosty calm weather

One wonders how many migratory birds are being killed by the wind-farms out at sea. Its a depressing thought.

I full agree - also the amount of destruction their construction inflicts on blanket bog habitats in upland areas actually leads to the release of many tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere:(

• Advertisement

thebishop wrote: »
    Would prefer them to what they use in Japan.......

A bit of a red herring - its increasingly obvious they are responsible for the deaths of ever growing numbers of endangered raptors and other birds worldwide. This begs the question as to why this industry continues to masquarade under the title of "green energy" - on that basis BP could claim their activities in the GOM are also "Green":rolleyes:

PS: The latest copy of Irish Birds published by BWI has a shocking account of at least 2 Sparrowhawks killed by the same Wind Turbine in Co. Tipperary in the space of 48 hrs just last Springeek.giffrown.gif - just makes you wonder what is going on in the rest of the country and why no extensive studies have been done by the industry into this major threat to some of our most iconic and fragile bird species:mad:!!
    progress.gif

I suppose we should mention that 9 times as many Sea Eagles have been killed by humans laying bait than have been killed by inanimate wind turbines.

Then again - lets keep ignoring facts in order to pursue narrow-minded policies.

parsi wrote: »

Then again - lets keep ignoring facts in order to pursue narrow-minded policies.

The facts on bird deaths from wind turbines are already out there based on extensive studies in Europe and the US - I'm simply questioning this heavily tax-payer subsidized form of power'ss "Green" credentals, which IMO look shaky to say the least!!

The facts on bird deaths from wind turbines are already out there based on extensive studies in Europe and the US - I'm simply questioning this heavily tax-payer subsidized form of power'ss "Green" credentals, which IMO look shaky to say the least!!

It seems strange that attention would be focussed on the item that killed 1 bird but the killers of 9 birds are ignored.

It suggests that the outrage, shock and horror is based on something other than rationality.

parsi wrote: »
    It seems strange that attention would be focussed on the item that killed 1 bird but the killers of 9 birds are ignored.

It suggests that the outrage, shock and horror is based on something other than rationality.

Its based on concerns relating to the sheer amount of our uplands earmarked for these developments in many County plans including Donegal, Clare and Kerryetc. All areas that harbour signficant populations of endangered raptors.

• Advertisement

and yet the greatest proven threat (by a massive factor) is from humans laying bait and not inanimate turbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Facts would make for a better read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

At the risk of killing the thread stone dead, I'm adding a mod note :)

I appreciate its hard to keep discussion solely to wildlife without bringing the wider picture of wind-turbines into, but the wider picture is for environment issues forum

Poisoning of raptors has been extensively covered here including the outrage

I don't mind contributors expressing their thoughts without factual backup, but statements are best supported with references.

I will try not interfere further as mod, but off topic posts may be deleted without warning.

Continue :)

In an area of Norway 100s of eagles have been killed by turbines.
    I would like to see references to back this up.
    I assume there have been studies in regard to this. Can anyone point me towards any?
    The facts on bird deaths from wind turbines are already out there based on extensive studies in Europe and the US -
    I'd like to see these for myself
    Its based on concerns relating to the sheer amount of our uplands earmarked for these developments in many County plans including Donegal, Clare and Kerryetc. All areas that harbour significant populations of endangered raptors.
    Certainly some high profile cases during past few years. I would hope that the authorities will have learnt, that appropriate impact assessments are conducted and that the planning process rejects proposed developments that have a significant negative impact on wildlife.

I use electricity from the national grid. I feel every source of this electricity has a negative impact on wildlife....I've cleaned birds caught in an oil slick :mad::mad: brought tears to my eyes...I want my electricity from renewable sources which includes wind turbines. I accept that there is collateral damage to wildlife but I want the relevant authorities to keep this damage to an acceptable minimum. I appreciate that an acceptable minimum differs between everyone. :)

Mothman, I shall answer your query with this link;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article721400.ece

As to the studies about migratory birds being killed at sea by turbines; well unfortunatly I don't have any evidence for you. But I guess that suits the wind movement just fine. Who can measure how many Barn owls are killed by turbines out at sea migrating to this country, right?

Maybe I did come on too strong with my opinion, and I am sorry for that. But I do feel strongly that these turbines are detrimental to our birdlife, and they need to be challenged.

Thanks BN. I'm including a quote from each of the wildlifeextra links.
    The new study should help developers planning renewable energy projects by offering greater certainty as to likely impacts so that they can quickly progress acceptable proposals in appropriate locations by avoiding important areas for birds.....Our results emphasise the need for wind farms to avoid areas with high densities of potentially vulnerable species such as curlews and golden plover, and help offer a way forward by informing the likely extent of positive habitat management which may help to offset the impacts of development. In conjunction with the Scottish wind farm sensitivity map which we produced three years ago, these findings will aid planners and responsible developers in enabling Scotland to meet its renewable energy targets and avoid the most sensitive sites for birds."
    The RSPB believes climate change poses the greatest long-term threat to wildlife and strongly supports the development of renewable energy including wind farms, so long as they are well sited. The Norwegian government ignored warnings of the consequences for wildlife of the Smøla wind farm proposal before it was built. Dr Mark Avery, Conservation Director at the RSPB said, ‘The eagles’ deaths confirm the fears we expressed at that time and show how devastating a poorly sited wind farm can be.’

‘Wind farms can and should be helping us tackle climate change and can do so without affecting important wildlife sites. It is vital now that environmental impact assessments take full account of conservationists’ advice and that those assessments help form the
    backbone of future decisions on wind farm applications.’
    ‘We understand the problem and we know the solutions. American Bird Conservancy supports wind energy, and some operators are already working to protect birds, but we need to make all wind power bird-smart.'
    My interpretation of the above is that there is a place for wind farms, but it's the siting that is key to avoiding a large negative impact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Who can measure how many Barn owls are killed by turbines out at sea migrating to this country, right?
    i thought barn owls were a non-migratory species?

Mothman wrote: »

My interpretation of the above is that there is a place for wind farms, but it's the siting that is key to avoiding a large negative impact.

Maybe - but how much faith can we put in the planning system in this country after decades of scandals and c*ck- ups??:(

Who can measure how many Barn owls are killed by turbines out at sea migrating to this country, right?
    Well considering that there is only one off shore windfarm in Ireland, the 7 turbines on the Arklow Bank, I would think the numbers of Barn Owls killed is next to none. Perhaps I'm missing something....I'm not privy to the migration route or the height that Barn Owls migrate en route to and from Ireland....or whether they migrate at all (Ref MB's post above)

I am aware that there are proposals for much more turbines in the Irish Sea and I'd find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a significant impact to some kind of wildlife that may be above my "acceptable minimum", should these proposals go ahead...but then this is just me surmising and has no basis in fact

• Advertisement

Maybe - but how much faith can we put in the planning system in this country after decades of scandals and c*ck- ups??:(
    I agree that is open to question....

Mothman wrote: »
    Well considering that there is only one off shore windfarm in Ireland, the 7 turbines on the Arklow Bank, I would think the numbers of Barn Owls killed is next to none. Perhaps I'm missing something....I'm not privy to the migration route or the height that Barn Owls migrate en route to and from Ireland....or whether they migrate at all (Ref MB's post above)

I am aware that there are proposals for much more turbines in the Irish Sea and I'd find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a significant impact to some kind of wildlife that may be above my "acceptable minimum", should these proposals go ahead...but then this is just me surmising and has no basis in fact

Barn owls migrate to Ireland all the time but yes, it was a bad example, as they are infrequent migrants. But I hope you got my point nonetheless. I should have said Barnacle geese or Arctic terns.

I hope you are not going to nitpick on me how high and fast these birds fly? Surely?

Barn owls migrate to Ireland all the time but yes, it was a bad example, as they are infrequent migrants. But I hope you got my point nonetheless. I should have said Barnacle geese or Arctic terns.

I hope you are not going to nitpick on me how high and fast these birds fly? Surely?
    My knowledge of bird migration routes and heights is very limited and I'm happy to be enlightened by someone in the know.

Here is my reasoning for raising flight heights.
    I do have some knowledge of insect migration heights. These can be monitered by radar

The findings is that much of the insect migration is probably above turbine height
    The results showed that the larger insect fauna (b10 mg) tended to migrate at altitudes of300±500ma.g.l.(Fig.4)in the warm air near the top of the nocturnal temperature inversion (Fig. 5).
    Quote from here This studied high altitude migration of Diamond-back Moth.

So I reason that birds may follow a similar pattern in their migration?

As for local movements, ie. breeding to hunting grounds, I would think that turbines could have a significant impact if sited in flight paths...if there are known flight paths.

Here is a study that may be worth reading, about bat mortality at wind-turbines
    Haven't read it myself yet, just came across it

This link does not inspire confidence:(

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/bird-strike-video.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 frostfrosty

Thats sad to hear. I was in Spain recently and there was a similar report in the local paper. It seems to happen alot. :(

Its a wonder there isn't more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bobbytwo

www.goldeneagle.ie have a big topic about how they feel wind turbines ARE a danger to the raptors of Ireland. and separatley the poisons and windturbines were man made remember!!!!:rolleyes:

bobbytwo wrote: »
    www.goldeneagle.ie have a big topic about how they feel wind turbines ARE a danger to the raptors of Ireland. and separatley the poisons and windturbines were man made remember!!!!:rolleyes:

What a horrific death!!:(:mad:

Advertisement