Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poisoning/Shooting of Birds of Prey - Please read guidelines in first post

Options
  • 13-11-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

This thread is for discussion and reports on poisoning and shooting of Birds of Prey in Ireland. We feel that it is important to have a venue for this discussion. However, given that such discussion in past threads has led to emotions running high and invariable dispute we are outlining guidelines and restrictions for this discussion.

1. Discussion is to focus on the whole of Ireland only, with links to reports.
    2. No discussion with regard to birds outside of Ireland.
    3. No speculative comments on what may or may not be happening without supportive evidence/ reports.
    4. Refrain from emotionally reactive comments. (e.g. saying what you would like to happen to people who carry out the poisoning. a comment such as "My heart sank when I read that." is fine).
    5. Advocating illegal actions is not allowed.
    6. Any threads created about this matter will be merged with this one.
    8. Use appropriate language for all readers.
    7. The above guidelines will be amended at our discretion if deemed necessary.

Also note general Boards.ie guidelines
    a. Insults and personal abuse of other posters will not be tolerated.
    b. If you have an issue with something that has been posted do not discuss it on thread but use the Report Post function. That’s the Red Triangle symbol that appears underneath the posters details. report.gif

Posts that don't follow the above guidelines will be deleted and may result in warnings/ infractions/ bans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how fast acting is that poison? killeter is less than five miles from the border, so it could be hard to tell where the poison was laid if it takes several hours to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It was definitely a strange time to have poison laid out. Usually poisonings happen in the springtime.
    I wonder should there be an amnesty to help get rid of banned substances like carbofuran?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

i would think that some people might be poisoning rats or maybe a fox this time of year due to them venturing towards humans for sustenance.

just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

My heart sank when I read that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

trebor28 wrote: »
    i would think that some people might be poisoning rats or maybe a fox this time of year due to them venturing towards humans for sustenance.

just my two cents.

Apparently the bird was found weeks before the hard weather hit, which makes this case even more disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

29blyft.jpg
    The mudered five month old Golden Eagle chick:(

The mudered five month old Golden Eagle chick:(

What a waste - I remember chatting to Lorcan O' Toole last spring after yet more eagle deaths and he speculated that they have lost nearly 50% of the stock to illegal persecution. Unbeleviable that this kind of thing could still be happening in 2010:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Latest poisoning on BirdwatchIreland website

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

A terrible thing to happen it will take a while for these poisonings to stop.
    I think it was Lorcan o Toole who said in the RTE series that it boils down
    to education.Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later:mad:

• Advertisement

Having spoken to a source close to this issue last night I am confident that some good will come out of this tragedy in that both relevant authorities and NGO's here and in NI will be working much closer together to close the net on the criminals involved in this outrage and other suspected incidents in this area and elsewhere in NI. Already some progress has been made on this case though for obvious reasons I will not be going into the details for now:)

bogtreader wrote: »
    A terrible thing to happen it will take a while for these poisonings to stop.
    I think it was Lorcan o Toole who said in the RTE series that it boils down
    to education.Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later:mad:

Good point - the ongoing failure of our education system to cover the vital areas of environmental resource mangement, valueing biodiversity etc. particulary at secondary level is shamefull in this day and age.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know this sounds a bit reactionary, but you probably need a qualification or licence to do most jobs in this country, so does the idea of a phased system of licencing farmers - the main idea being education - sound absurd?

i know this sounds a bit reactionary, but you probably need a qualification or licence to do most jobs in this country, so does the idea of a phased system of licencing farmers - the main idea being education - sound absurd?

Not at all and to be fair this already happens to some degree during REPS training courses and farm walks etc. . - but to quote a line in a famous Paul Newman film"theres some people you just can't reach".;)

PS: Don't make the mistake of assuming all these incidents are connected to rogue farmers - the details of this case which as I said earlier I can't divulge too much about would suggest the culprit was not from the farming community - that is as much as I can say for now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Is it the general belief that the eagles are specifically being targeted?

not as far as i understand; it's more that they're scavenging on poisoned carcasses left out for foxes and crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Ohh, I thought most eagles would only eat what they caught. I thought it was birds, rats, eating the poison and it moving up the food chain.

not as far as i understand; it's more that they're scavenging on poisoned carcasses left out for foxes and crows.

Now thankfully illegal on both sides of the border though why it was only banned here last month (over 3 years into the project) beggars beleif:rolleyes: - I suspect it was to avoid a large fine from the EU.

PS: To be fair most sheep farmers do not use poison and instead use safe methods of vermin control such as shooting, trapping, better housing etc.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Ohh, I thought most eagles would only eat what they caught. I thought it was birds, rats, eating the poison and it moving up the food chain.

Most eagle spp. are carrion feeders in the harsh winter months - thats why Sea Eagles tend to move to the coast at this time of year to scavange seal carcasses and the like:)

Scotty # wrote: »
    Diet of Golden Eagles
    Its main food preference across its range is medium sized mammals such as hares and Rabbits and a variety of birds including seabirds. Carrion including dead sheep and deer can also be an important part of the diet especially in winter.
    My emphasis

• Advertisement

Indeed MM - the WTSE in particular is more a vulture then an eagle as most people understand the term:)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

I'm ashamed that this has happened in my own county and hope the culprit or culprits are swiftly caught and either educated or punished if it was done on purpose. Anyone I have ever spoke with here, that had any knowledge of these birds looked forward to seeing them or had already enjoyed seeing them, including farmers, shooters, a gamekeeper and other country folk. I had the pleasure of watching one some years ago crossing my ground.

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

do the leaders of our government do any training for their jobs?

to become a farmer these days you have to go to farming colleges around the country and study for several months, afaik.

this is obviously only a quite recent occurrence.

trebor28 wrote: »
    to become a farmer these days you have to go to farming colleges around the country and study for several months, afaik.

this is obviously only a quite recent occurrence.

No, one does not have to go to college to be a farmer, but to avail of certain grants/reliefs a farmer needs to have completed some education. This can be done from home. This or something similar has been in place for at least 25 years

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭puheen

+1 To what Mallards said. As a fellow member of the Hunting Forum I can truly say that it has been a great pleasure to see an increase in the larger raptors over the past 15 or so years. I would ask anyone who has a problem with vermin to contact their local Gun Club to help with the problem rather than using poison as we are only to willing to help out, and the methods employed are very target specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

RonMexico wrote: »
    It says in the report that another sea eagle was shot. Another two birds murdered:(

i read that as 'this is the second bird killed in this area', but not necessarily in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

What a pity, and a waste.eaglef.gif

• Advertisement

The noose is tightening around the Eagles. Not only are they being attacked by people poisoning them, they are also being shot. The criminal who poisoned the eagle might not have intended the poison for foxes or crows (still illegal however). But the shooter who shot the sea eagle knew full what they were doing and that makes it more disturbing:mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement