Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooting for a n00b

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Amalgam wrote: »
    As tman said, works with anything, as it dead ends anything listed in the hosts file. Regardless of who or what they are, if it is listed, it'll be blocked. Games or browser.

It is very easy to place the hosts file on the phone yourself. If AdFree kicks up, just dump it into /etc using Root Explorer. Remember to change folder permission to r/w (read/write) to drop the file in, then back to r/o (read/only) when done.

The hosts file has no file appendix, it should just be named 'hosts', no .txt or anything else, after it.

I found a little script to roll your own hosts file using multiple Android sources. I'll dump it in a new thread once I'm done mopping the floors.. :D

EDIT: Be aware, so games and apps are known to blank and\or edit a hosts file, ****ty behaviour, but some do try and edit it. I have seen this quoted over on XDA, but forget the specifics.

I have tried doing this. I downloaded the hosts file to my sd card. Tried to move it to /etc. The old hosts file is renamed. Changed etc folder to r/w. Pressed Paste, but the file doesn't go into the folder for some reason.
    Edit: nevermind, flashing leedroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

If/when I upgrade my firmware, will I have to root again from scratch?

You won't be upgrading your software OTA again. That's really the whole point of rooting. Getting updates earlier etc.

So, the next upgrade might be 2.3 OTA (Summer-time), but if you root and flash CWM you won't need to wait, you can get that as soon as you download the ROM and you flash it then you have it. Also you can try out cool things like CyanogenMod7, it's stock Google but with lots of handy little tweaks.

Most/All the ROM's are based on official/leaked (MIUI excluded) releases by Google and then just cooked to make them faster and stuff.

You won't need to upgrade your firmware ever again, it's not iOS and jailbreaking. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I understood absolutely nothing of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

For my galaxy Europa on Android 2.2 what should i root with? also are there custom ROMS for this phone? Havent a clue of all this rooting business :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I have rooted and installed Leedroid. But I have found that the phone is still S-ON. I rooted using unrevoked3, I thought this should change it to S-OFF? What is the easiest way to get S-Off now?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

http://alpharev.nl/
    Either burn it to a disc, or load the .iso file in VMWare.
    When it asks you (and not before), attach your phone via USB.
    Leave it 3 minutes or so.
    S-OFF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

What are the implications and/or benefits of S-OFF?

I've read that with rooting alone, it's pretty hard to brick your phone (since you can generally restart in recovery mode and just boot an backup), but when you introduce S-OFF it becomes a lot easier to brick unless you know what you're doing.

Advertisement