Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Dares to Speak of the d-Connector...

• 03-04-2011 1:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

It is a fact of life now. It may not be the answer. It may have been almost distroyed by IE management...

But you can't and will not kill it.

Especially now as it is the only option now to get "something". It was created by people who understood that Ireland was a land of liars and fantasists and the only way you develop rail infrastruture is playing games and working within the paradaigm of the corrupt world of Irish politics, the insane world of Irish journalists and the surreal world of CIE.

It's all we have left. The last 10 years will looked upon a public transport planning and development LSD trip.

However all is not lost. There is still one option on the dusty shelves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I do dare speak of it. There was the budget "cheapo" option of using the Phoenix Park Tunnel, which I regard as a false long term solution, since in my experience, the cheap short term solution tends to become the permanent one in Ireland.

I have a rough knowledge of economics, but I cannot comprehend the almost endless amounts of money shoved into Banks, yielding no tangible economic benefit whatsoever. However, thats a tired cliche, which is barely relevant to the Interconnector project.

In both 2005 (*When Transport 21 was unveiled), and 2007 (The end last General Election), I supported Fianna Fail on the basis that "Better the corrupt ones with the contacts who can get things done, than the honest ones who do not have a clue". So, I admit that much, and say "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

It is a case that for a myriad of reasons, too long to explain here that Ireland does quite well on the micro side of things, when it comes to initiatives such as the plastic bag tax and smoking ban. However, on the mega-project side, there is a reluctance, because of Nimbyism, political interference, an excessive deference to property owners, businesses and planners that hampers any kind of progress.

The question now needs to be asked, how is it going to be financed? How can it be built? Considering that it has been proposed in various incarnations since 1855, and its still not there yet, I am now convinced it will never happen in my lifetime.

Those responsible will ride off into the sunset with fat pensions and payoffs. Ireland is not unique in that matter, there is always a carrot dangled before election time in various countries, America and Britain come to mind, because they are the countries we see the most in the media.

Invariably, it is cancelled in "the national interest"

Which - in the past meant

"For my friends at the racetrack"
    "For my friends in IBEC"
    "For my friends in Slipthru"
    "For my friends in the Motor Industry"

Theres no point in being bitter about it. Bitterness and anger will not solve anything. A resolve to expose, to show newspaper articles, archived year after year, after decade, on the other hand........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

By way of explanation , "The D-Connector For Dummies"

We have a station on Docklands nowadays. That plus KRP2 ( minus the electrification component) could be useful as it spreads the load coming into Heuston platforms at peak by diverting some of it.

They could be considered as ye olde enablinge works for a future DU project ...that is at least 10 years away now if not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

This was 8 years ago this month. Here's the official report;

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/TRJ/2003/04/15/00003.asp

The money has gone and we are now back to basics.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

DWCommuter wrote: »
    This was 8 years ago this month. Here's the official report;

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/TRJ/2003/04/15/00003.asp

The money has gone and we are now back to basics.:D

Not THAT was a rail lobby.

FACT.

Advertisement