Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

words?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Whenever my da would put a plate of food down for ya he'd accompany it with "Get on the other side of that". :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

This thread is golden! I still use about a third of the phrases mentioned already, I picked them up from my grandparents and parents and thankfully never lost them.

Anyone remember any words/phrases used years ago in total innocence that would be a no-no nowadays or just not really p.c.?
    Such as - he was a "dark fellow" to describe a black man.
    Or my Granny used to call people with Down Syndrome/special needs "dummies" but it wasn't meant with malice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Galkeifer, your sig is not seriously proposing that we should donate our cc numbers to a random site on the interwebs, is it? Is the next step 'oh yes and we need your security code as well'?!

Edit: ok, I was codded!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

No looksee, it's just a joke. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

GalKiefer wrote: »

Such as - he was a "dark fellow" to describe a black man.
    Or my Granny used to call people with Down Syndrome/special needs "dummies" but it wasn't meant with malice.
    Used to hear of dark skinned people being referred to as "tawnies."
    And a person with Downes Syndrome was referred to as a "Duinne le Dia," Irish for God's person I think.
    But they were very seldom seen in public because it was classed as some sort of a stigma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not so sure how appropriate it is to introduce non-PC terms into the thread, tbh. There are too many, and posting them here is effectively using them. Let them stay in the dark, distant past where they belong.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement