Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Slimming Pin

Options
  • 02-04-2011 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Has anyone ever bought or heard anything about the Russian slimming pin? I bought it from Ebay recently. My mum told me, I am a freak. :D Does anyone have experience with this pin? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

Is it this http://cgi.ebay.ie/Slimming-PIN-Russian-Weight-Loss-Secret-/320677951417#ht_610wt_1141 ?

It's a safety pin. How is it going to help a person lose weight? It's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

€20 for a safety pin!?! I'm in the wrong business.

Sorry kalina but this is a 'faith' item. Theres no way it coud help you to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭COH

If its Russian then it has to work. Everyone knows that.

You're probably supposed to jam it into your eye everytime you eat sh*t or skip training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

There's one born every minute. :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

215357-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Plump-Angry-Female-Chef-Holding-Up-A-Rolling-Pin.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

you gotta respect people who have the balls to actually sell this stuff!
    Definitely, thinking outside the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

you gotta respect people who have the balls to actually sell this stuff!
    Definitely, thinking outside the box!

And feel sorry for the people silly enough to buy this type of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It still dumbfounds me as the how people think such an item would make them lose weight. As a genuine question, am i missing something?!

OP - think about it - a pin to make you lose weight? Not at all. sorry.

Creating an energy deficit will do that. By that i mean consuming less calories than your body needs. Id suggest you read the stickies here at the top of this forum and in the nutrition forum. That should help clear things up for you. there is no magic pill - eating less, moving more and lifting things is the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Desire. wrote: »
    And feel sorry for the people silly enough to buy this type of stuff.

not feeling sorry whatsoever for anyone that soft to fall for it.....unless theres something properly wrong with them.
    The same people probably have a 6 second ab machine too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

not feeling sorry whatsoever for anyone that soft to fall for it.....unless theres something properly wrong with them.
    The same people probably have a 6 second ab machine too

pah..Next you'l tell me that the perfect pushup machine wont get my upper body jacked like one of those fitness models..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

OP wouldnt be a russian-doll would they?

By doll I mean troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kalina01

Thanks for your responses. I am actually happy with the purchase. It might be scam, but seems to be working for me. At least I eat a lot less the last few days, don't feel that hungry anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

COH wrote: »
    You're probably supposed to jam it into your eye everytime you eat sh*t or skip training.
    That would probably work so, just like my smarties diet, eat 8 smarties a day, spaced 1 hour between each one and always an empty stomach.
    OP - think about it - a pin to make you lose weight? Not at all.
    sure it doesn't even have a hologram on it!

kalina01 wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses. I am actually happy with the purchase. It might be scam, but seems to be working for me. At least I eat a lot less the last few days, don't feel that hungry anymore.
    There is no doubt placebos can have strong effects on some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Maybe if you jab the pin in your arse very time you feel like eating it could help you lose weight..or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

what?, who?, pin? What? Where?

I clicked on that ebay link and I could'nt believe what I saw or read! The neck on that seller for selling that but fair play to them aswell making money off it. How could anybody fall for this, it has to be the worst weight loss gimick ever..... although it is invisable when you are wearing it and you will be anonymous when you buy it from ebay so that other users don't know who you are, It's a pretty good selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

Ben goldacre writes about this a lot and in a very accessible way:
    http://www.badscience.net/2009/11/all-bow-before-the-mighty-power-of-the-nocebo-effect/#more-1403

Basically, it's snake oil (your slimming pin) but it's a snake oil we should try to harness, and here's the kicker....even if we are non-believers it STILL works! :confused:

Still, I find it offensive that people are allowed to sell "nothing" to people who are at the stage where they are willing to try anything.
    Is this not preying on the desperate and vulnerable (just my opinion)?

So, OP, keep wearing that pin and feeling less hungry. Even if it's hokum you're eating less :)

Advertisement