Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors in two hit series

Options
  • 01-04-2011 11:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Most of the time when a major hit series comes to an end half the cast disappears into oblivion, one or two make a few films and the others bounce around from one failed venture to another. To my mind it's rare to find an actor who comes right back to star in another hit series.

Ones that spring to mind are David Hasselhoff (Knight Rider, Baywatch) and Teri Hatcher (Lois and Clark, Desperate Housewives).

I thought of Matthew Fox but Party of Five didn't really kill in the ratings. Lee Majors (6 Million Dollar Man, The Fall Guy) at a stretch but the Fall Guy didn't last too long for whatever reason.

What obvious ones am I missing?
    Bryan Cranston maybe - I don't know what the viewing figures for Breaking Bad are like.
    Michael C. Hall (Six Feet Under, Dexter)
    Rowan Atkinson (Blackadder, Mr. Bean)
    Ed O'Neill (Married... With Children, Modern Family)
    David Duchovny (X-Files, Californication)
    Alyson Hannigan (Buffy, How I met Your Mother)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Joshua Jackson.

Dawsons Creek, Fringe. I prefer the latter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Ricky Gervais.

The Office - Greatest TV Show Of All Time
    Extras - Pretty darned good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The likes of Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert started out on Saturday Night Live and ended up on successful TV Shows. Not sure if SNL really counts though, as many comedians started out on it.

Edit: Edie Falco-The Sopranos, Nurse Jackie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

David Boreanaz - Buffy/Angel, Bones
    Michael Chiklis - The Commish, The Shield, No ordinary Family
    Bill Bixby - My Favourite Martian, The Hulk, The Magician
    Larry Hagman - I dream of jeannie, Dallas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The greatest TV actor of all time Michael Landon 3 decades as a leading actor in a prime time role in 3 differant televison shows.

Bonanza 1959 - 1973
    Little House On The Prairie 1974 to 1984
    Highway To Heaven 1984 - 1989

Another great TV actor Tom Bosley

Happy Days 1974 - 1984
    Murder She Wrote 1984 - 1989
    Father Dowling Mysteries 1987 - 1991

Hugh Laurie House and Blackadder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How about Neil Flynn? The Middle does well and Scrubs was a hit show (at least I think it was :pac:)

Katey Sagal is another siccessful cast member from Married With Children. how does Sons or Anarchy do? She was in that Godawful comedy with John Ritter too, and Futurama obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

These two sprung to mind for me. Both of them have a bit of a cult following from the shows they were on etc..
    Kelsey Grammar - Cheers and Frasier (Playing the Same Character counts right?).
    Richard Dean Anderson - Stargate and Macgyver.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    These two sprung to mind for me. Both of them have a bit of a cult following from the shows they were on etc..
    Kelsey Grammar - Cheers and Frasier (Playing the Same Character counts right?).
    Richard Dean Anderson - Stargate and Macgyver.

Oh Richard Dean Anderson well what about Amanda Tapping - Stargate and Sanctury

Kelsey Grammar doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

John Cleese- Monty Python and Fawlty Towers

The guy who played Angel in Buffy was in Angel and Buffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Scott Bakula - Quantum Leap and Star Trek: Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

David Jason - Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses, Darlings Buds of May and A touch of Frost
    John Thaw - The Sweeney, Home to Roost, Inspector Morse and Kavanagh QC
    Dennis Waterman - The Sweeney, Minder, On the Up and New Tricks.
    Kevin Whately - Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Inspector Morse and Lewis.
    John Nettles - Bergerac and Midsomer Murders.
    James Bolam - The Likely lads, Only when I laugh and New Tricks
    Peter Davison - All Creatures Great and Small, Dr Who and The Last Detective
    Todd Carthy - Grange hill, EastEnders and The Bill.
    Joanna Lumley - The New Avengers, Sapphire and Steel and Absolutely Fabulous
    David McCullum - The Man from Uncle, Sapphire and Steel, The Invisible Man and NCIS
    Trever Eve - Shoestring and Waking the Dead
    Ricky Tomlinson - Brookside, The Royle Family and Cracker
    Sue Johnston - Brookside, The Royle Family and Waking the Dead
    Martin Shaw - The Professionals, Judge John Deed and Inspector George Gently
    Gordon Jackson - Upstairs Downstairs and The Professionals
    Dennis Franz - Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue
    Paul Eddington - The Good Life and Yes Minister
    Penelope Keith - The Good Life and to the Manor Born
    Edward Woodward - Callan and The Equalizer
    Leonard Rossiter - Rising Damp and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perin
    Richard Beckinsale - Raising Damp and Porridge

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Adewale Akiinouye Agbaje (Oz, Lost)
    Harold Perrineau Jr (Oz, Lost)
    David Boreanaz (Buffy/Angel, Bones)
    Alyson Hannigan (Buffy, HIMYM)
    Seth Green (Buffy, Family Guy)
    Mila Kunis (That 70s Show, Family Guy)
    Ed O'Neill (Married With Children, Modern Family)
    Katey Sagal (Married With Children, Futurama)
    Jesse Spencer (Neighbours, House)
    Ryan Kwanten (Home and Away, True Blood)
    Neil Flynn (Scrubs, The Middle)
    Tiffani Amber Thiessen (Saved By The Bell, Beverly Hills 90210)
    Alison Brie (Mad Men, Community)
    Jensen Ackles (Dark Angel, Smallville, Supernatural)
    Michael C. Hall (Six Feet Under, Dexter)
    Lauren Velez (Oz, Dexter)
    David Zayas (Oz, Dexter)
    Edie Falco (Oz, The Sopranos, Nurse Jackie)
    Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break, The Walking Dead)
    Steve Buschemi (The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire)
    Michael K. Williams (The Wire, Boardwalk Empire)
    JD Williams (Oz, The Wire)
    Seth Gilliam (Oz, The Wire)
    Wendell Pierce (The Wire, Treme)
    Clarke Peters (The Wire, Treme)
    Lance Reddick (The Wire, Lost, Fringe)
    Kirk Acevedo (Oz, Fringe)
    Christopher Meloni (Oz, Law and Order: SVU)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's plenty more.

Courtney Cox is another one, Cougar Town is successful right? And if she counts then Christa Miller does too.

Marcia Cross was in an American soap for years and years, as well as being in Desperate Housewives now. Kyle MacLachaln has been in a ton of successful programmes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Tom Selleck.

Magnum P.I.
    Blue Bloods.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Some good suggestions there, and some terrible ones. Bear in mind the two basic criteria are 'star' and 'hit' so characters like Frasier in Cheers and Mr. Eko don't count, nor do shows that are scrapped before the end of the first series!

Basically, if the actor's name is not in the first couple of credits, or if he/she only appeared in a few episodes, forget about them - we could list thousands of those.

It's obviously easier to star in multiple hits in the UK, as exemplified by Rubik's list, with the smaller pool of talent, shorter series and lower number of channels, although I'd have my doubts about how many of those actors would be recognised outside of the UK and Ireland. Lumley most likely, possibly Jason, maybe Thaw.

I didn't include Gervais because I thought Extras was kind of a niche show but that was probably harsh. Bakula, Boreanaz, Bixby, Boxleitner would all have appeared early in the credits one way or another :) so those are all good shouts.

Michael Landon is a brilliant example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Nathan Fillion - Firefly & Castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

sink wrote: »
    Nathan Fillion - Firefly & Castle

I was just about to post that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Matt Le Blanc in Friends and Joey....riiiiiiight?

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    Matt Le Blanc in Friends and Joey....riiiiiiight?
    oh no you didn't!!!!!!!! *finger snap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Juliana Marigules (ER/The Good Wife)
    Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal/Brothers & Sisters)

are about the only two i can think of that haven't been mentioned already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dennis Waterman has made a career of long running hits - Sweeney and Minder were nearly back to back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Steve Buscemi-The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire.
    Although he may have directed more episodes than starred in with regards to The Sopranos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

phasers wrote: »
    How about Neil Flynn? The Middle does well and Scrubs was a hit show (at least I think it was :pac:)

Katey Sagal is another siccessful cast member from Married With Children. how does Sons or Anarchy do? She was in that Godawful comedy with John Ritter too, and Futurama obviously.

how dare you, i will always love that show because its how i first fell in love with my future wife kaley cuoco:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

James Garner - Maverick and The Rockford Files
    William Shatner - Star Trek, T.J. Hooker and The Practice/Boston Legal
    Rodger Moore - The Saint and The Persuaders

how dare you, i will always love that show because its how i first fell in love with my future wife kaley cuoco:pac:
    They carried on after John Ritter died. On set. shudder.

And Kaley Cuoco is another one who's been in more than one hit show! :cool:

Roger Moore is an interesting one. The Persuaders was kind of a flop in the US and only lasted one season, but it was huge in Europe.

Steve Buscemi? He had a mid-sized role in one season of the Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire has had a total of 13 episodes so far. Besides, he's been a famous film actor for years. Absolutely does not fit the criteria. Nor does John Lithgow, for much the same reasons.

Katey Sagal is an interesting one. I was under the impression that Futurama was a bit of a niche series with poor viewing figures but it went for 6 seasons and picked up a few Emmys so she should be inducted. Shatner, also no doubt. Sci-Fi seems to be something of a theme. Which reminds me of Dirk Benedict (The A-Team, Battlestar Galactica). James Garner has had a string of successes, he makes it.

Two of you suggested Nathan Fillion, citing Firefly as a hit :confused:

Blue Bloods - hit series? Let it at least finish out the year!

We actually need Richard Dower to confirm whether the likes of Cougar Town and Brothers and Sisters are considered hits :D

I'm going to say Marcia Cross is a yes. Over a hundred episodes in two major soaps (which is what DH has been reduced to) - hard to argue that's star quality right there.

Matt LeBlanc is more or less the ultimate example of how difficult it can be to go from one hit show to another.

I'm on the fence about Lance Reddick. He shows up in everything but only The Wire and Fringe could be considered starring roles for him. How popular is Fringe?

How big was The Commish? I remember catching a few episodes on late night TV about 15 years ago but that's about the extent of my knowledge. No Ordinary Family is not, and will never be, a hit.

I personally gave up on The Middle after 10 episodes, assuming the network would follow suit. If it's a hit, so be it. Do we count Sarah Chalke for Roseanne (Scrubs was obviously a hit)?

I was thinking about Sarah Chalke, but IIRC she was kind of a replacement actor for another character so I couldn't decide whether to mention her.

The Middle is doing really well in the US it seems (I think it's total crap and want to murder the little kid in it but what the hey)

Patrick Duffy came to mind today 1977-78 Man From Atlantis then Dallas from 78-85 and 86-91 then Step by Step from 91-98, Step by Step wasn't a sucess over here but was well liked in USA. So 20 years 3 differant leading roles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

How about Lucy Lawless?
    Xena: Warrior Princess, (the new) Battlestar Galactica, Spartacus (2 series to date).

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    How about Lucy Lawless?
    Xena: Warrior Princess, (the new) Battlestar Galactica, Spartacus (2 series to date).

She wasn't a major cast member in BSG, only appearing in 16 episodes. Put her on the 'pending' list as Spartacus has only had 1.5 seasons.

Man From Atlantis seems to have been popular outside the States, where it only lasted one season; I'm not sure about Duffy in this respect. I'm going to allow Roger Moore, having thought about it a bit as having played Bond in seven films he's proved he can go on from being associated with one famous character to incarnating another (with mitigated success).

Advertisement