Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Vudgie wrote: »
    I am really liking this album, their strongest in a long time. Did anyone read that bullsh1t review in the Irish times yesterday? It is at odds with everything else I have read about the album and a real attempt at standing out from the crowd...pathetic. Everyone knows what to expect from the foo fighters by now and this album gives fans everything they could want. Shame they are only playin oxegen this summer.

Was going to mention that review. seemed very harsh alright. They'll be back at end of year on their inevitable arena tour. I nominate the O2 on 6th November...its always used on that day (Muse and Paramore being the last two).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Vudgie wrote: »
    Did anyone read that bullsh1t review in the Irish times yesterday?
    Mushy wrote: »
    Was going to mention that review. seemed very harsh alright.

Is this the same review? - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2011/0408/1224294175764.html

It bares no resemblance to the album that I've heard...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Penfailed wrote: »
    Is this the same review? - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2011/0408/1224294175764.html

It bares no resemblance to the album that I've heard...

Thats the one. Then again, a greatest hits got album of the week lark...inspirational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It's a brilliant album.

Alandria is instantly one of my favourite ever Foo songs.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Alandria is instantly one of my favourite ever Foo songs.

These Days for me :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Awful, just bloody awful

That was my favourite line ha. How can you call it awful when they prob loved albums by 2 Door Cinema Club where pretty much each song sounds the same

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The entire albums been a grower for me. Thought a lot of songs were weak at a few listens but Dave's writing is always getting better. After In your Honor, the Echoes album was a slight improvement but still left me with doubts whether they can truly get the glorious praise they deserved and hads a decade ago.

Now I think they have hit those notes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

That was my favourite line ha. How can you call it awful when they prob loved albums by 2 Door Cinema Club where pretty much each song sounds the same

Agreed. I decided to email the 'author' and basically tell him what a retard he is! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

checked spotify today and it was there, happy days.

Its definitely better than recent efforts but not as good as first couple of albums, its damn close though.
    I think its a grower (have already listened to it 5 times today)

Loving , Back and Forth, Rope but think the opening track (Bridge Burning) is my fav at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

the third guitar really puts a different spin on things, but at the same time, it feels like a follow up to the first album. havent gotten all the way through it, but really impressed so far, especially with the drumming, taylor has really upped his game.

that irish times article is a heap of ****, they cant have been listening to the same album!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I'm by no means a big Foo Fighters fan and this album is blowing me away! Completely hooked on it, the sound punches you in face continuously from start to finish (in a good way, of course). That review in the Irish Times is a bag of wank, clearly just the writer trying to seek attention. Famous bands like the Foos, Oasis and Pendulum (just a handful I've noticed) seem to garner scathing reviews for good albums that really say nothing at all. That Times review mentioned next to nothing about Wasting Light except that it was "awful", simply because if he went into detail his argument would fall apart. It's a fantastic record.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Another thing i feel is great is that the all the songs flow through the album . From beginning to end all the songs flow well after each other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I see they'll be playing the Roundhouse, London on the 11 July. Now thats' a venue to catch then in I reckon.
    http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/itunes-festival-2011?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=SM&utm_campaign=itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I had gone off Foos a little (last 2 albums just poor) but looking forward to giving this a spin.
    old gregg wrote: »
    I see they'll be playing the Roundhouse, London on the 11 July. Now thats' a venue to catch then in I reckon.
    http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/itunes-festival-2011?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=SM&utm_campaign=itunes
    Nah, Dingwalls is a venue to see them in :D (Pics from 2007 show, didn't bring camera this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I just read the review, how does it even count as a review? I don't care if the reviewer doesn't like the album, but awful is all he said about it. He didn't mention songs or why he didn't like it, its like it wasn't even listened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

If anyone who bought the album was wondering what the little piece of tape in the book was http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/foo_fighters_hide_master_tape_in_album.html

Just proves why the Foos are so awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

iangobl wrote: »
    If anyone who bought the album was wondering what the little piece of tape in the book was http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/foo_fighters_hide_master_tape_in_album.html

I was wondering what that was alright! Though it got in by accident in production, or was some security tag thing.

Thats kinda cool, if it is for real and not some random bit of tape :)

Thats kinda cool, if it is for real and not some random bit of tape :)

I think it is for real because those old style tapes are massive. Plus theyd have one for each guitarist, drums, vocals etc. Thats a lot of tape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

People getting annoyed by a review always makes me laugh. It's just one person's opinion, it's not the gospel truth. For contrast, read the review in NME which is even more absurd as it would make you think this album is up there with the best albums ever released. Again, it's just one person's opinion so you just take it with a pinch of salt.

read the review in NME

Link?

• Advertisement

Thanks!
    For contrast, read the review in NME which is even more absurd as it would make you think this album is up there with the best albums ever released.

Having read it, I wouldn't say the journalist thought it was up there with the best albums ever released...they said that it's their best record since 'The Colour and the Shape'. It's a glowing review...but I think it's a fair representation of the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Here is the album as performed for the cinema audiences last week. Sound is in mono though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Here is the album as performed for the cinema audiences last week. Sound is in mono though :(

Loving that thrash segment bolted on the end of Rope :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

iangobl wrote: »

I got no bit of tape :(
    Was it supposed to be in all of them or was it done at random?

I got no bit of tape :(
    Was it supposed to be in all of them or was it done at random?
    Think it was in all of them. It should be in the middle of the little booklet thing you get on the left hand side of the case when its open.

I hadn't heard about the bit of tape so just presumed it was a piece of rubbish so threw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I hadn't heard about the bit of tape so just presumed it was a piece of rubbish so threw it away.

I dunno, I ordered it off Amazon and definitely didn't get any :(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

Having listened to it a few times now, it sounds like t kind of album one by one threatened to be if it had been done properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Their documentary 'back and forth' was on the other night so I said id watch it.

It served to remind me how great the foo fighters used to be and how bad they have become. At the start of the doco the music was great and the story was interesting but as it progressed i realised how much i hate everything since the second album, I mean every single has been so boring that they are firmly in RHCP and U2 territory now.
    I cant believe this is the same guy who wrote xstatic, stick around, everlong and hero.

Advertisement