Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALERT for strong winds 30-31st March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

The OH rang me a while ago to say he was watching what looked like mini tornadoes going on in the sea & back fields in Greystones.
    He said the only way he could describe it was like two winds in opposite directions meeting each other in the middle & swirling the sea up into the air. The same is happening with the soil in the back field.
    Amazing to watch apparently, of course I'm in work. :( Have asked him to take a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Again thanks to the boardsies here, I had things secured for the night. When I was out in the garden around 11.30pm there was not even a breeze... literally the calm before the storm..it seems.

Such a pity about the ship on the rocks in Galway, hope they can get it refloated and on its way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yer man is right up on the rocks near the old coastguard station pier at the mouth of the Casla Bay , I make it around HERE not inside the bay further north.

000467db-640.jpg

Least a lifting barge could be gotten in if required. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Windy here at the moment, was very bad earlier I heard.
    I also heard a few saying it wasnt forecasted by ME, MT wins this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

couple of trees and branches down around here. It had calmed down a while ago but seems to be picking up again. Thanks to MT I had secured the garden furniture pity I forgot about the bag of clothes pegs they are all over the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Garden absolutely trashed with other people's rubbish. Better than a tree on the head I guess.

That ship is so high on the rocks that the Coastguard now fear it will keel over when the tide comes in, they may start taking ballast on shortly or transferring ballast to the seaward side.

I must line up more doggerel for my new song,

The Wreck of the Evelyn Cusack.

(To the Tune of :D )

Twas one balmy March night when the seabreezes light
    Were forecast to go stiff not to go slack
    And a gale it would be not a storm on the night
    Ye'll be grand said the Evelyn Cusack.

A while it would blow off shore on the seas
    And on deep water it wouldn't be much crack
    But inside Galway Bay there should be a lee
    Don't worry said the Evelyn Cusack

Some poor German chap not knowing about crap
    Forecasts from the Met Éireann work shack
    Set his anchor in sand and went for a nap
    He now wants to strangle that Evelyn Cusack

OHHH oh oh Ohhh I'll strangle that Evelyn Cusack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Was the tide out when that photo was taken Spongebob?
    The ship looks completely grounded. At least the tides are getting slightly higher each day now for the next few days.
    They should be about 45cm than last nights high tide on Sunday. Lets hope thats enough to move it back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Video of the ship aground

Link: http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0331/connemara.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Windy here at the moment, was very bad earlier I heard.
    I also heard a few saying it wasnt forecasted by ME, MT wins this one.

Senor Pangea, is your favourite tree okay?:)

The gusts between 5-7 this morning were almost of the same strength as from the system last November. Still despite the battering, no trees were whipped.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That ship is so high on the rocks that the Coastguard now fear it will keel over when the tide comes in, they may start taking ballast on shortly or transferring ballast to the seaward side.

I must line up more doggerel for my new song,

The Wreck of the Evelyn Cusack.

(To the Tune of :D )

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Brilliant

I'd say it was max low tide around 10am when that was taken. Towing operation #1 at morning high tide

http://www.galwaynews.ie/18617-pantanal-towing-operation-begin-dawn-tomorrow

The Wreck of the Evelyn Cusack ( Redux 1)

On a friday at dawn a big tug boat did schteam
    To pull her arse off of the sea wrack
    In Galway she lies with the quayside abeam
    And in hiding is the Evelyn Cusack

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

Few pictures i took of the boat from Sruthan harbour about an hour ago, looking across Casla bay.

Nice pics conamara do you think they will get her off, she looks to be up quite high on the shore.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Nice pics conamara do you think they will get her off, she looks to be up quite high on the shore.

Ah yeah i'd say so. Looks like the plan is at high tide Friday morning.

Im in Florida right now, near Clearwater, we've had some mental T-storms. Under Tornado warning now. Im hoping one comes thru :)
    Beautiful lighning show last night. Its rained up to 5 inches they are saying.
    Bliss:)

conamara wrote: »
    Ah yeah i'd say so. Looks like the plan is at high tide Friday morning.

Meant to ask you how close can you go to see her, can you go in by the ferries or is it cordoned off, was going to take a spin out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Jake1 wrote: »
    Im in Florida right now, near Clearwater, we've had some mental T-storms. Under Tornado warning now. Im hoping one comes thru :)
    Beautiful lighning show last night. Its rained up to 5 inches they are saying.
    Bliss:)

I'm here watching those updates occuring !, hope ya see a funnel cloud at least! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

dloob wrote: »
    Woken up around 5 -5:30 in Galway as well by the noise.

Am out in West Connemara, same as yourself the wind woke me up around that time. One small window open, rattled the hell out of the bedroom door, wasn't a happy camper :D

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Meant to ask you how close can you go to see her, can you go in by the ferries or is it cordoned off, was going to take a spin out tonight.

If you head down to the Pier in Ros a Mhil and keep going as far as the road will take you, you will end up right next to this. You can go down by the side of the old boat factory and get closer - they have cordoned off some of the sea shore but you can go pretty close - great view if you head towards An Cheathrú Rua and look across - like in the pictures.

Great Shot Conemara! , hope the get to refloat the boat during high tide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

, but the wind gusts were a lot stronger than the weather system's appearance on the charts. Surf on the west coast should be interesting today.

The surf on the West coast today is only slightly bigger than yesterday and weak as anything, basically because the waves were generated so close to Ireland. When I say weak, I mean they won´t wrap around a headland and keep travelling into a bay such as Clew Bay.

In contrast on the finest of autumn days a swell that was created from a tropical strom off the east coast of the states will send a much stronger swell that will keep wrapping around a headland and break on a beach deep inside a bay.

15 years of surfing have taught me something:D

Also shame on Met Eireann and well done M.T., is it too much of a claim to say that thats the reason there is a boat grounded this morning?

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I'm here watching those updates occuring !, hope ya see a funnel cloud at least! :D

To be honest Ian, I didnt see too muc, visibility was shoite:) lots of local damage though, semi truck blown over on a bridge nearby, roofs blown off. But fair play, they give constant weather updates.

http://www.baynews9.com/weather/klystron9?animate=pinellas

To be honest Ian, I didnt see too muc, visibility was shoite:) lots of local damage though, semi truck blown over on a bridge nearby, roofs blown off. But fair play, they give constant weather updates.

http://www.baynews9.com/weather/klystron9?animate=pinellas

So the front main risk has passed for where u are then?
    The radar shows some decent rain clouds but nothing really for a bow echo appearing , could be straight lined winds tough or a funnel cloud that caused the tornado warning to be issued.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    So the front main risk has passed for where u are then?
    The radar shows some decent rain clouds but nothing really for a bow echo appearing , could be straight lined winds tough or a funnel cloud that caused the tornado warning to be issued.

yeah, the worst is past, for us here anyway, unless more come in later today. Supposed to be nice and sunny for next few days. :):D

yeah, the worst is past, for us here anyway, unless more come in later today. Supposed to be nice and sunny for next few days. :):D

http://www.accuweather.com/video/90462062001/tornado-warnings-near-tampa-and-orlando.asp

LOOK AT THE AMOUNT OF LIGHTNING HITS! :eek::eek: !

So people, what was the highest gust recorded? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Ian, when I was checking reports around 0400 (summer time) I saw Mace Head something like 44 kt gusting 62 kts, and the following hour just about the same. I think I saw 52 kts at Shannon and 54 kts at Dublin at various times as this blew through. I don't know if I missed the peak at Belmullet or Malin Head but I recall seeing 51 kts there.

TBH, when I saw the 62 kts report at Mace Head I was a bit surprised, was expecting maybe 50-55 kts there, but realized that the rapid pressure falls further north had pulled in this low-level jet, then I think the topography across central Ireland from west to east tends to pull that stronger wind field through various channels including Dublin.

Anyway, this is one of those situations where the GFS model does well, at least as I saw the various models, it had a more developed look to the trough 24h in advance when this alert was issued. Again to be frank, the models were backing off this development as we got closer to the event, and I was starting to think the alert would bust which is why I said "no big deal" ... well it seems to have been a fairly big deal locally, on a national scale maybe no big deal. But if you get a chance to look at a satellite loop today while last night is still part of the animation, it's quite striking how fast the cloud mass moved across Ireland. Sometimes we see that with higher based cloud and there is no connection to surface winds, but these clouds were fairly low-based and moving well in excess of 60 knots, possibly closer to 100 knots. Anyway, the thing to be remembered by all weather fanatics is this -- pressure falls are an important factor in weather, it's not only about the gradient.

Advertisement