Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eriksson Fantasy Series

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭fitz

While some passages can be a bit dense, or might seem like there's too much time spent on them, I've never found Erikson to be "inaccessible." It's no more difficult to keep track of characters than in Martin's ASOIAF or Jordan's WOT.

I found his style of exposition only through characters experiences and thoughts to be really refreshing. He doesn't manufacture situations where his characters get to explain the minutiae of how magic works to the reader, for example. I thought it was enjoyable to piece together how things worked, as if you were travelling through the world and learning by observation. It's far less forced than traditional fantasy.

My only criticism is around pacing. As I said, some passages can seem slow, or overlong, and I can see why that might put someone off. But despite that, as pissed off as I've been by character deaths in ASOIAF, nobody has ever upset or delighted me more with what he's done with his characters than Erikson. I think that's the real strength of his writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've been reading this series for so long that the biggest problem I have is remembering all of the characters and their relationships with each other when I pick up the latest book (always wait for the small paperback version for my collection). Some sections can be tough to get through, but when it's good it's really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

One of my favourite series though there is a relative decline in the quality of the books after he gets past number 3. That's not to say the others aren't still quality.

Advertisement