Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who is Niamh Horan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

As it is of hay fever.
    Hay Fever tends to be a bit different in that there are other symptoms such as sneezing, nasal congestion and sore eyes. Perhaps, much to the disgust of some, she managed to get something right. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

jmcc wrote: »
    Hay Fever tends to be a bit different in that there are other symptoms such as sneezing, nasal congestion and sore eyes. Perhaps, much to the disgust of some, she managed to get something right. :)

Regards...jmcc

And it's possible that the man in question had those sympthoms. I don't care if she's right about this. My point is that she appears to have no definitive evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I don't think the rugby article really reflects her views, she's being paid to write this s*h*i*t,* and debase herself publicly by Tony O'Reilly.

Do keep up. Tony O'Reilly lost control of Independent newspapers three years ago.

Also, as a general principle, the idea that newspaper proprietors have tight contol over every single article that is printed is rather simplistic at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

And it's possible that the man in question had those sympthoms. I don't care if she's right about this. My point is that she appears to have no definitive evidence.
    Why should people accept your opinion rather than was written in the article? She was the one doing the interview and and not you. It was her judgement. You, for all intents and purposes, are just some random reader without any hard data on which to base an opinion. She might have been wrong but your opinion is irrelevant. Perhaps that's the real topic - she's writing for the Sindo and you are not? Is there some jealousy involved? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

jmcc wrote: »
    Why should people accept your opinion rather than was written in the article? She was the one doing the interview and and not you. It was her judgement. You, for all intents and purposes, are just some random reader without any hard data on which to base an opinion. She might have been wrong but your opinion is irrelevant. Perhaps that's the real topic - she's writing for the Sindo and you are not? Is there some jealousy involved? :)

Regards...jmcc

Why are you trying to goad? You are right that my opinion is irrelavant to the reader. I'm questioning, though, whether merely the "judgement" of a journalist is sufficently concrete to base a story on it which makes the claim that cocaine use is widespread in High Society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

"No doubt she is seen as a threat by some of the hacks who are not so young and not able to rely on their looks for getting someone to talk for a story."

Don't want to argue with you. Isn't it kind of demeaning to journalists to suggest that some of them rely on their looks to secure an interview? A wannabe journalist who is good-looking, but has no social skills may find interviewing tough. My first thoughts when I read the adjectives "butch, beer-swilling, men-hating" were "Who thinks that?" "Where did that come out of?"

Yeah, that was the most...wtf moment of the article in my eyes. Where the heck did that come from? And who here was cheering on the Irish women, once they defeated the New Zealand women's team and then thought to themselves 'Well done to the butch, beer-swilling, men hating Irish players'?
    And then asking them about a threesome...was that due to the unnamed but everyone knows who they are Irish rugby players who were involved in a threesome? If so, it was just adding more idiocy to the article. She overly sexualised it so much, I was beginning to think a knuckle dragging Male chauvinist had written the piece. And this is coming from a man, btw.
    This whole article was like throwing a steaming pile of manure on a team who should be getting showered in praises and honours.
    It's almost like there was a hint of jealousy coming from this person, like no matter what she writes, she'll never accomplish anything like the Irish women's team. It was bizarre. Like, if a guy wrote this article, the arguments would be 'they would not say this about the men's rugby team' but a woman wrote it, and she just....gah! That's all I can really say to sum up my reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silverdolphin

"Do keep up. Tony O'Reilly lost control of Independent newspapers three years ago.

Also, as a general principle, the idea that newspaper proprietors have tight contol over every single article that is printed is rather simplistic at best."

Yes, you're right, he did and I made a mistake. Newspaper proprietors can have an influence on how some people see the world, why do you think some people hate Rupert Murdoch? I didn't write that newspaper proprietors have tight control over every single article printed. I guessed that maybe she's forced by someone in the higher echelons to write sensationalist pieces or else she'll lose her job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

"Do keep up. Tony O'Reilly lost control of Independent newspapers three years ago.

Also, as a general principle, the idea that newspaper proprietors have tight contol over every single article that is printed is rather simplistic at best."

Yes, you're right, he did and I made a mistake. Newspaper proprietors can have an influence on how some people see the world, why do you think some people hate Rupert Murdoch? I didn't write that newspaper proprietors have tight control over every single article printed. I guessed that maybe she's forced by someone in the higher echelons to write sensationalist pieces or else she'll lose her job.

Murdoch I think certainly is an example of a proprietor of a controlling type ...e.g. I think it is the case that every single one of his dozens of newspapers advocated in favour of the Iraq war in 2003.

That said, I am sceptical in general of the view that all media moguls operate in this fashion. For example, during part of the period when O'Reilly did own the Independent group, for a while they also owned not only the Irish and Sunday Independents but also the UK Independent - a newspaper which continued to pursue a left wing editorial stance after he bought it (and for that matter still does, under the new proprietor, a Russian businessman).

I remember when Conrad Black owned the Telegraph and Spectator, he once personally wrote a letter to the editor criticising an anti-Israeli column from one of the then contributors at the Spectator, Taki. I think it was an interesting way of a proprietor trying to show his own newspaper had editorial independence.

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/3rd-march-2001/18/my-friend-taki-has-gone-too-far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I'm so delighted that IN&M give their newspapers away free via the interweb and it saves us from parting with good money on the hard copy so that we can read awful tripe like this - penned by Niamh Horan:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/niamh-horan-glenda-gilson-worth-more-than-three-brief-mentions-in-life-of-brian-odriscoll-30693483.html

OMG................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

IRE60 wrote: »
    I'm so delighted that IN&M give their newspapers away free via the interweb and it saves us from parting with good money on the hard copy so that we can read awful tripe like this - penned by Niamh Horan:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/niamh-horan-glenda-gilson-worth-more-than-three-brief-mentions-in-life-of-brian-odriscoll-30693483.html

OMG................

She epitomises everything and anything that is wrong with the mickey-mouse celeb culture in Ireland. Herself and that Egan chap - dreadful thrash altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Just Janice

kstand wrote: »
    She epitomises everything and anything that is wrong with the mickey-mouse celeb culture in Ireland. Herself and that Egan chap - dreadful thrash altogether.

I couldn't agree more.
    I actually thought (when i read the first post) that this thread was a joke and was intrigued to read more.I just don't get it I suppose. She gets paid for this writing this "stuff".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Meastro wrote: »
    MAJ student DCU-has annoyed a lot of celebs along the way by not walking on eggshells around touchy subjects...Bibi Baskin, Chris de burgh, Keith Duffy, the late G Ryan etc. I'm sure you'll be able to see all the hate if u just google her.

What controversy is there about someone like Bib Baskin?? :P

I couldn't agree more.
    I actually thought (when i read the first post) that this thread was a joke and was intrigued to read more.I just don't get it I suppose. She gets paid for this writing this "stuff".

Agreed too, I was about to say hi and assume it was her just starting her own thread, stupid cow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

The "piece" she wrote that time about Sean Quinn Jrs wife visiting him in prison and what she was wearing and the parallels she drew with Princess Diana just summed up the pointless inane thrash that seems to consume whatever she has for a brain. It was cringe worthy stuff from a National newspaper, but hardly a surprise from the Indo and its Z-list celeb infatuation, still clinging to the Celtic Tiger auras they created for these people and their monotonous pursuit to try and keep them relevant within whatever readership actually fawned over them. Sickening sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

IRE60 wrote: »

OMG................
    Can't even spell "Renards" correctly, what kind of D4-head is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Fuinseog wrote: »
    What is her background?

She writes for the Sindo, an attractive blonde who looks as if she is fresh out of school.

a woman of great talent or just a pretty face?

She does not appear to have a Wikipedia entry, maybe because she has yet to make her mark.

You mean the Indo have never heard or seen a paper called the Sindo don,t think it would sell.

Maybe she just looks after herself and likes to look young for as long as she can. I think she has done quite well for herself going by some of the posts. She has a good job and has had a good education to.
    I actually met the girl it must be at least 4 or more years now was doing a bit of work at her house. She was working for the Kildare Post at the time as there motoring journalist and getting to drive some very nice cars. Audi RS4 been one of them. It was just before Nissan launched the Tiida here actually. She seemed to be a nice respectable girl. They were certainly not rich just lived in a housing estae like a lot of other people in the country and with a little bit off money to spend but nothing crazy she was only driving a mk11clio herself.
    I think she is a nice,decent,hard working,intelligent young women just trying to do her job the best she can and get payed so she can live her life too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

AMKC wrote: »
    You mean the Indo have never heard or seen a paper called the Sindo don,t think it would sell.

Maybe she just looks after herself and likes to look young for as long as she can. I think she has done quite well for herself going by some of the posts. She has a good job and has had a good education to.
    I actually met the girl it must be at least 4 or more years now was doing a bit of work at her house. She was working for the Kildare Post at the time as there motoring journalist and getting to drive some very nice cars. Audi RS4 been one of them. It was just before Nissan launched the Tiida here actually. She seemed to be a nice respectable girl. They were certainly not rich just lived in a housing estae like a lot of other people in the country and with a little bit off money to spend but nothing crazy she was only driving a mk11clio herself.
    I think she is a nice,decent,hard working,intelligent young women just trying to do her job the best she can and get payed so she can live her life too.

Hi Niamh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Hi Niamh.

Ha lol I am certainly not Niamh but I would not mind being her for a day a week or even a month think Iwould really enjoy it. Her mother was very nice to by the way. Thinking about it it must be at least 6 years since I done that work at her house. Where does the time go crazy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

wtf...............I call for a urine test.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

It's an abbreviation of Sunday Independent.

Independent - Indo
    Sunday Independent - Sindo

It's in very wide use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 kearnc25

"It is unfounded to say that money was responsible for her education and tasteless to insult her personality as that poster did. "

According to the Newbridge College website, the fees are €3,800; (not a lot of parents can afford to pay €3,800 for their children's education each year). University is also expensive, so without money she wouldn't have an education. The way she has looked down on obese people in the past and recently negatively stereotyped female rugby players has been insulting and tasteless.

I'd have to respectively disagree there mate university isn't all that expensive when the grant is taken into consideration, Ireland is one of the easiest places financial to go to university. As for the private school aspect with private schools on the lower end it can be done by most families I myself went to Castleknock College which was 5,000 at the time my father was the only wage for most of my time there he is a taxi driver it does mean sacrificing some things such as yearly holidays but it can be done.

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/healthy-eating/online-mob-not-interested-in-what-rosanna-actually-said-31488053.html

Her piece on Thursday was just down right foolish. And then she goes and quotes Keith Duffy, and misquotes a doctor as some form of proof, and thinks Davison's degree is legit.

No, just no. You cannot call 'Irish Begrudgery' when her claims are ludicrous, false science. When health, especially autism and mental illness, is her target, we reserve the right to call 'false' on such claims. Especially when she is putting kids at risk too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/healthy-eating/online-mob-not-interested-in-what-rosanna-actually-said-31488053.html

Her piece on Thursday was just down right foolish. And then she goes and quotes Keith Duffy, and misquotes a doctor as some form of proof, and thinks Davison's degree is legit.

No, just no. You cannot call 'Irish Begrudgery' when her claims are ludicrous, false science. When health, especially autism and mental illness, is her target, we reserve the right to call 'false' on such claims. Especially when she is putting kids at risk too.

T'wouldn't surprise me greatly if they knew each other. They seem around the same age and postcode.

Surely the days for begrudging Davison were when she was successful? However, I do think the reaction, as ever, was over the top. The idea that gluten could exacerbate effects of autism isn't as ludicrous as she perhaps made it sound.

Well, the way it works out, from the research anyways (and this includes the doctor Horan misquotes) is that there may be a reaction with those who have Schizophrenia and Gluten. But it's pretty difficult to decipher if Schizophrenia sufferers are reacting to gluten, or gluten is reacting with Schizophrenia.
    One way to imagine it is as an iodine test, the way iodine turns black with starch. Is the starch reacting with the iodine, or is the iodine reacting with the starch. (Okay, that may not be such a good example).
    But eliminating it from the diet doesn't have any noticeable or testable impact. As Dr McWilliams goes on to note, diet will do absolutely nothing without some form of medication.
    The problem with Horan stating that the Autism, Gluten connection is a 'hot topic' is that no, its not. In fact, it's been refuted, constantly. Even as recently as 5 years ago.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-05/uorm-pad051810.php
    In fact, if one were to take her claims that Gluten exasperates autism, then the study showed that it most definitely did not. And some of those in the test did slightly better with the gluten. But that can be left down to chance, because the stats were not enough.
    Horan is getting battered on Twitter because of her article. And rightly so. To start suggesting that parents who feed their children foods with gluten are 'harming them' is just dangerous, and foolish. And when she complained that even the Health minister was mocking Davison...well, he has a reason to. He's the health minister, he has to prevent quacks getting work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Well, the way it works out, from the research anyways (and this includes the doctor Horan misquotes) is that there may be a reaction with those who have Schizophrenia and Gluten. But it's pretty difficult to decipher if Schizophrenia sufferers are reacting to gluten, or gluten is reacting with Schizophrenia.
    One way to imagine it is as an iodine test, the way iodine turns black with starch. Is the starch reacting with the iodine, or is the iodine reacting with the starch. (Okay, that may not be such a good example).
    But eliminating it from the diet doesn't have any noticeable or testable impact. As Dr McWilliams goes on to note, diet will do absolutely nothing without some form of medication.
    The problem with Horan stating that the Autism, Gluten connection is a 'hot topic' is that no, its not. In fact, it's been refuted, constantly. Even as recently as 5 years ago.
    In fact, if one were to take her claims that Gluten exasperates autism, then the study showed that it most definitely did not. And some of those in the test did slightly better with the gluten. But that can be left down to chance, because the stats were not enough.
    Horan is getting battered on Twitter because of her article. And rightly so. To start suggesting that parents who feed their children foods with gluten are 'harming them' is just dangerous, and foolish. And when she complained that even the Health minister was mocking Davison...well, he has a reason to. He's the health minister, he has to prevent quacks getting work.

You seem to be knowledgable on the subject. I wasn't clear in my post: when I said that it wasn't a ludicrous concept, I was just saying widespread ridicule was unwarranted. I think she's wrong but undeserving of that scorn.

Out of interest, what is the misquote of a doctor, that you mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I detest the SI(cant even bring myself to call it the shortened version as it somehow implys affection)and Barry Tosser and niamh horan but I thought the tweet that Leo retweeted was a bit nasty and personal and unbecoming of a minister.

qweerty wrote: »
    You seem to be knowledgable on the subject. I wasn't clear in my post: when I said that it wasn't a ludicrous concept, I was just saying widespread ridicule was unwarranted. I think she's wrong but undeserving of that scorn.

Out of interest, what is the misquote of a doctor, that you mention?

In her article, she quotes Dr Steven McWilliams, from St John of Gods.

'Afterwards a leading consultant psychiatrist, Dr Stephen McWilliams, the clinical lead of the Psychosis Programme at Saint John of God Hospital, said: "Ms Davison is not necessarily wrong in her assertions about gluten sensitivity and schizophrenia."'

'He cited a study which observed a link between a reduced supply of wheat and rye during World War II and a lower incidence of first-episode psychosis.'

The article she quotes from is from the Irish Times.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/recovery-from-psychiatric-illness-getting-the-ingredients-right-1.2330628

Yet in the article, he actually says 'There is limited and conflicting evidence in relation to gluten sensitivity and schizophrenia. Small studies published in the 1950s found a link between reduced supply of wheat and rye during World War II and a lower incidence of first-episode psychosis. Subsequent epidemiological research in Denmark has found that coeliac disease predates schizophrenia in some patients, while other studies have found slight improvements in the psychotic symptoms of a subgroup of patients on a gluten-free diet. Other research has refuted these findings, while the studies overall are limited in number and often of poor quality.'

In essence, if she was truthful in her quoting, she would note when he says 'However, most doctors and dieticians would advocate a low fat diet high in fibre rather than placing the emphasis on gluten-free options.'
    Coupled with
    'No doubt there are many people who feel the benefit of a gluten-free diet. But it is important that we take celebrity endorsements of the “simple cure” with a pinch of salt. This is especially true when more novel approaches may displace treatments that have a much firmer basis in science. Recovery from psychosis has a number of ingredients. It remains to be seen whether it should be gluten free.'

Essentially, what he is saying is that there is no reliable information, or scientific information, to even claim that gluten affects autism or schizophrenia. He actually refutes the Autism link completely. He also references Doctors and dieticians, not nutritionists. Meaning he talks to folks who are actually qualified to give out advice, rather than people who claim to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

May I respectfully suggest that people stop wasting their time quoting conventional (i.e. non-quackery) science in a thread about Niamh Horan? It's pretty much like trying to discuss astronomy in a horoscope forum.

It's pretty clear that Rosanna Davison has a pact with the Indo group - she gives them access and gossip about herself and her 'celebrity' friends' in return for which they give her friendly coverage. Call it a pact with the devil but that's the gist of it.

But who benefits from this devil's pact? There is a certain degree of responsibility in reporting on facts. Yet the Independent just seems set on backing up this rubbish.
    If she turns around, and starts bleating crud about vaccines, as her supposed 'college' does...will they then report on this rubbish and allow her more headlines?

There needs to be some accountability against spreading dangerous misinformation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But who benefits from this devil's pact?

It's a mutually beneficial pact . The Indo gets easy access to 'celebrity' rubbish, she gets some level of control about what they write about her.
    There is a certain degree of responsibility in reporting on facts. Yet the Independent just seems set on backing up this rubbish.

A few years ago a glowing report appeared in the Sunday Independent about a plastic surgeon called Michael Evan Sachs in NY. As a direct result of that article, a woman from Limerick called Kay Cregan went over to have a cosmetic procedure done by that guy and she died as a result of his incompetence. It later transpired that (1) he was the most sued doctor in the state of NY and (2) a journalist from the Indo had had a minor facelift done by the same guy and the positive article in the paper was the payment for his services. Paper never refused ink!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/nyregion/01plastic.html
    There needs to be some accountability against spreading dangerous misinformation.

When it comes to medicine and quackery, you can stuff any notion about accountability, there is none. Medicine is an inexact science so you can write pretty much anything you like and claim that it's scientific fact.

Advertisement