Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butterflies 2011

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fish hook

not many butterflies around in my garden this year but plenty wasps

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Mothman wrote: »
    if the blackcurrants were totally denuded of leaves then this may have been sawfly larvae.

no they just look like they've been tasted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

ID help required please..

I was thinking it might be a Small Heath because of small eye pattern on wings, but it might also be a Meadow Brown....also in the last photo, is that a Large White (female)......

smallheath2.jpg

smallheath.jpg

largewhitebtmsmallheath.jpg

Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

V Bull wrote: »
    ID help required please..

I was thinking it might be a Small Heath because of small eye pattern on wings, but it might also be a Meadow Brown....also in the last photo, is that a Large White (female)......
    Meadow Brown. Small Heath is small and rests with wings closed. Nearly safe to say, that Small Heath is never seen at rest with wings open.

The white is Green-veined white

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Seen a tortoiseshell today basking in the sun, didn't think they'd be still out this late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I saw 2 over the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I caught a glimpse of a butterfly over the weekend- a large one, brown looking at a distance but I didn't see any detail. Dark green fritillary- like in size and in a place where there were lots of them through the summer so that's a possibility. Lovely, though surprising, to see in November:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Saw a Tortoiseshell today (Dublin) and 2 Red Admirals yesterday (Kildare). The Red Admirals were doing a dance together - courtship? Is this not very late in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Spotted a red admiral and a cabbage white today.

I spent a few minutes just watching them flit to and fro, and then came back to the humdrum of the real world when they were out of sight. Think it is the first time that I have seen a cabbage white this late in the year. I'm guessing the lack of any hard frost is what is keeping them around that bit longer this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

March 23rd 2011

A male tortoiseshell trying to impress a female in my garden

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Today's glorious sunshine has brought the butterflies out in abundance :). Lots of Brimstone in the woods this morning and also a Peacock and Speckled wood.

Advertisement