Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ras 2011

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

Any idea when this might be on the RTE Player anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Junior wrote: »

Usually takes a couple of hours - two or three.

There you go now - http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099612

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

It's up now.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099612

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

If anyone missed this - this is a message from David McCann

"Missing / Stolen Giant TCR advanced bike. Distinctive Square shaped Down(Diagonal tube), Sram RED shifters. Mavic Carbon cosmic rear wheel with PowerTAP hub.shallow alloy front wheel. distinctive 'Ridea' brand oval shaped TT chainset"

This was after the RAS on Sunday.

Also, for those interested, I have my race files (inc power) up for the RAS. I set no power PBs (or close to it) this year. Less sustained climbing would be the main reason for that. (395W for 12 minutes @ 73kg to stay with the front 20 riders over a 5% 'Cat 1' for example) HR data is off for a few of the days (interference)

http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2011/05/2011-anpost-ras-race-files-and-articles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nattefrost

had great crack down in kildare town on sunday morning. any rider that i approched was happy to get pictures taken and have a chat. everything went smoothly apart from the olde lad on his way home from mass who managed to get in amongst the cars and couldnt take the hint to pull over, funny stuff. nice way to spend a sunday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Ok. Maybe it was in the video blog, but I think he has expressed that sentiment a few times. I hope it's not taken as criticism - it's probably the 'professional' way to ride, but I am just wondering if the 'county team' category actually means anything to many of the 'county teams' as they are are not actually county teams at all??

Pat ,
    I think the county prize was in the bag when the Dan Morrisey guys made the split in the cross winds out of Gort?

There is still plenty of pride within county teams, on the second last day the Mayo team with kanturk drove a group for about 100K, the mayo guys to defend second place in the county competition and kanturk to jump up a place from near the bottom of the county teams.

But for the most part county riders are hanging on? None wear able to compete with the pros. I think County riders are now just a bit of filler to bulk out a mainly Pro race?
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Many of the guys I know who are on county teams are also full time cyclists be it through choice or are unemployed etc. Donegal Spotactiv had at least three full timers UCD had 2 and that's of the ones I know.

What sort of numbers are guys with full time jobs kids etc?

Why not ask some of the county riders instead of spouting endless speculation about what they or don't think of themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Why not ask some of the county riders instead of spouting endless speculation about what they or don't think of themselves.

You don't mean talk to them face to face do you ????

This is the internet and we don't usually interact like that ;)

Seriously though, Plenty of the Guy's I met this year were working full time (some in high profile jobs) and has kids, mortgages, wives etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

There are a bunch of county riders that are basically full time cyclists (unemployment, former Pros etc...), there are also a hell of a lot that work part time of varying amounts. Me, I work 3-5 days per week depending if I'm abroad etc... And then the bulk that have a pretty normal work/family life that make it through by sheer determination - hats off to those guys.

My health wasn't the best this last while, but I don't think podiuming on a stage or Top 5 overall in the Ras is not possible for a county rider. It would have been my goals which I wouldn't have seen as unrealistic if I was in my top form. On stage 7, I was hoping we would stay away over the cat 1 climb as me sprinting from a bunch of 20 climbers is much nicer than a bunch of 60 with sprinters thrown in. I also messed up big time in stage 4 with 500m to go in the sprint... a lost top 5 chance for me. That's racing :)

Sean Kelly and others have talked about this many times, but I believe a later Ras would help the county riders a huge amount... Say, mid July - 2 weeks after Nationals...

For people working full time, putting the training in needed for a late May race in the winter is so difficult - it is bright now till 10... easier to fit the long rides in around work. You could see from day 5 on that the built up fatigue was setting in - county riders where VERY competitive for the first few days.

Another thing to consider is that in general the county teams don't ride as a team - for instance, no leadout trains for guys in races etc... like the Pro teams do - not because people are riding for themselves, just not organized enough... How many times have I seen a leadout of more than 1 rider in an Irish race for a sprinter? With the amount of bunch sprints we have... crazy...

Also, the county GC/Team stuff was very important but a top placing was gone after split on the second stage (yeah, I was devastated) - from there, you ride differently, your focus is more, 6 1 day races, less a continuation. On Stage 3 I was in a break of 6 for 80km (reeled in with 40k to go) - when we hit the Crag Cave climb, I wasn't in the position to contend for a win, so you don't kill yourself so you can be better the following day in the mountains (where I was in the lead group). If I was up on GC, it would have been different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

I though it was still called the 'Milk Rás'? Or is the Milk Rás a different race?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Worztron wrote: »
    I though it was still called the 'Milk Rás'? Or is the Milk Rás a different race?

Same race, sponsor changed over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A1s_Tailteann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

There are a bunch of county riders that are basically full time cyclists (unemployment, former Pros etc...), there are also a hell of a lot that work part time of varying amounts. Me, I work 3-5 days per week depending if I'm abroad etc... And then the bulk that have a pretty normal work/family life that make it through by sheer determination - hats off to those guys.

My health wasn't the best this last while, but I don't think podiuming on a stage or Top 5 overall in the Ras is not possible for a county rider. It would have been my goals which I wouldn't have seen as unrealistic if I was in my top form. On stage 7, I was hoping we would stay away over the cat 1 climb as me sprinting from a bunch of 20 climbers is much nicer than a bunch of 60 with sprinters thrown in. I also messed up big time in stage 4 with 500m to go in the sprint... a lost top 5 chance for me. That's racing :)

Sean Kelly and others have talked about this many times, but I believe a later Ras would help the county riders a huge amount... Say, mid July - 2 weeks after Nationals...

For people working full time, putting the training in needed for a late May race in the winter is so difficult - it is bright now till 10... easier to fit the long rides in around work. You could see from day 5 on that the built up fatigue was setting in - county riders where VERY competitive for the first few days.

Another thing to consider is that in general the county teams don't ride as a team - for instance, no leadout trains for guys in races etc... like the Pro teams do - not because people are riding for themselves, just not organized enough... How many times have I seen a leadout of more than 1 rider in an Irish race for a sprinter? With the amount of bunch sprints we have... crazy...

Also, the county GC/Team stuff was very important but a top placing was gone after split on the second stage (yeah, I was devastated) - from there, you ride differently, your focus is more, 6 1 day races, less a continuation. On Stage 3 I was in a break of 6 for 80km (reeled in with 40k to go) - when we hit the Crag Cave climb, I wasn't in the position to contend for a win, so you don't kill yourself so you can be better the following day in the mountains (where I was in the lead group). If I was up on GC, it would have been different.

A very good post Ryan!.

I think a county rider can compete but you really need to be dedicated from the day you start winter training. Paddy Moriarty was a good example of a good rider who was working full time as an engineer and consistenly finished best domestic rider.

You have to accept the guys you are racing against have a couple of races similar to the ras in their legs already in that season so it is difficult. Added to the fact that it will be the first time you do a (real) long race you can guess how difficult it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

My missus used to work for the National Dairy Council when they sponsred the Ras. Stages were picked to be in towns with big creameries. Then FBD became joint sponsors and the NDC phased back. NDC now focus on more high profile sports using FAI and Paul O'connell for example.

I still hear it called the Milk Ras but probably 10 years since they sponsored it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    My missus used to work for the National Dairy Council when they sponsred the Ras. Stages were picked to be in towns with big creameries. Then FBD became joint sponsors and the NDC phased back. NDC now focus on more high profile sports using FAI and Paul O'connell for example.

I still hear it called the Milk Ras but probably 10 years since they sponsored it.
    So who are you riding it with next year ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

What does "Rás Tailteann" mean?

I know that Rás means race but what is "Tailteann"?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

What does "Rás Tailteann" mean?

I know that Rás means race but what is "Tailteann"?

Tailteann were an ancient Irish sporting games like the highland games. The race hasn't been called that since at least 1984 AFAIK and certainly not any time recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

http://goireland.about.com/od/historyculture/qt/gg_tailteann.htm

Games held to honour the ancient celtic Queen, Tailte, mother of Lugh of the Silver Arm.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The ancient games were named in honour of Queen Tailtiu. They revived them for a while, a kind of Irish Olympics, for a while in the 20s.

EDIT: Damnit, pipped on the line by ROK_ON.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

when I saw the picture on http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/ of the finish during the Mondello Circuit Race july 26th, I couldnt help but think of the comment above
    Absolutely no one working for anyone else in this finish its hilarious could they be anymore spread out.
    I dont think amateur,sportif Irish cyclists are very good at sharing and working for a common goal for one person. Its a GAA mentality .

• Advertisement

when I saw the picture on http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/ of the finish during the Mondello Circuit Race july 26th, I couldnt help but think of the comment above
    Absolutely no one working for anyone else in this finish its hilarious could they be anymore spread out.
    I dont think amateur,sportif Irish cyclists are very good at sharing and working for a common goal for one person. Its a GAA mentality .

Pardon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Pardon ?

He's managed to insult the cycling and the GAA communities in the one post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

why would you help your mate when you can chase down them when they areup the road!
    Its not a GAA mentality its a club league mentality imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Since when are Cycling Ireland governed road races defined as sportifs? They are amateur sporting events!!

Sportif indeed ssshesh

Advertisement