Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino de Santiago queries, info ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Anywhere to get a Camino Passport between now and the weekend? Will be starting from Sarria.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Anywhere to get a Camino Passport between now and the weekend? Will be starting from Sarria.

Thanks

Not sure if you are anywhere near St James church in Dublin 8, you can pop in and buy one there and if you fancy your first stamp to be irish, pop around the corner to the Guinness Storehouse and just in the door where yo0u pay in, you can get the Guinness stamp. You don't have to pay any entrance fee

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Just recently decided to switch from Camino Frances from Sarrio - hoping to start 13 Sept from Ferrol or A Coruna.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gmm fan

HELP!
    Last ditch attempt but here goes anyway. Does anybody who has been in Santiago know of an Irish / sports bar that might show the all Ireland final today!! Can find historic references online to somewhere called Murphys but nothing recent. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kieranmof

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    Just recently decided to switch from Camino Frances from Sarrio - hoping to start 13 Sept from Ferrol or A Coruna.

4 of us finished the Camino Ingles two weeks ago. We loved it - it was our first. We avoided the Francais due to the crowds. Started walking on 25th and didn't have any rain - really lucky I think. How did you get on? Kieran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Kieranmof wrote: »
    4 of us finished the Camino Ingles two weeks ago. We loved it - it was our first. We avoided the Francais due to the crowds. Started walking on 25th and didn't have any rain - really lucky I think. How did you get on? Kieran

I loved it - I started in A Coruna, stayed Sergude and Sigueiro, and arrived in front of the Cathedral entrance at 11:45 so got the Pilgrim's Mass in as well. Next morning, early queue for Compostela and then started to Finisterre. Got there with enough time to tack on the day to Muxia as well - enjoy it a lot, although there was a bit of pressure to make the last bus out of town! I had heavy rain one night after Dinner on the way to Finisterre, and was ready for a day in rain gear, but got away with odd showers/mist and a lot of fog. I think I made the right choice of route, could have stayed in the albergue in Sergude, it's new and very quiet, but I had a pension prebooked. Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gavincfc1990

Hi how are ye's.im thinking of doing the camino from Porto onwards in 2 weeks time the end of November start of December.does anyone have any info on places open to stay and will there be some other walkers aswell as weather this time of year thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samanthadavies

Yes I have done it three times and can´t wait to do it again! From my experience, if you´re planning on walking I´d highly recommend you to train and make sure to bring the appropriate outfits and shoes. Also, right now it's quite cold over there, so unless you want to do a shorter Winter Way, wait from March on. June - August are the busiest months by far. 
    I found this article quite useful as a quick guide to get ready for the long journey ahead:

Also if you don't feel like walking you can ride a bike, which makes it way easier to complete. 
    Hope you find this useful x

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samanthadavies

We walked about 24k a day on average. It was tiring but we all had a great time. When we got to Santiago we were ecstatic to have reached our destination. It is an unbelievable feeling.

Blisters, cuts, aching knees and feet...it was all worth it, an amazing experience!

Thanks to those who posted giving their experiences.
    Yes I have done it three times and can´t wait to do it again! From my experience, if you´re planning on walking I´d highly recommend you to train and make sure to bring the appropriate outfits and shoes. Also, right now it's quite cold over there, so unless you want to do a shorter Winter Way, wait from March on. June - August are the busiest months by far. 

Also if you don't feel like walking you can ride a bike, which makes it way easier to complete. 
    Hope you find this useful x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

has anyone done this route in April? was the weather tricky? would i be best waiting until june

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Did a week of it one June, starting in Santander. Found it surprisingly hard, much more difficult than the Camino Frances. Lots of road walking so tough on the feet. Nowhere near the level of infrastructure as the Frances, albergues were way more sparse and often closed (apparently early June is still off season).
    Albergues are not reserved for peregrinos either, we arrived at one and it had been block booked by a youth club group on holiday. We had to camp a couple of nights and pay for hotels on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

loobylou wrote: »
    Did a week of it one June, starting in Santander. Found it surprisingly hard, much more difficult than the Camino Frances. Lots of road walking so tough on the feet. Nowhere near the level of infrastructure as the Frances, albergues were way more sparse and often closed (apparently early June is still off season).
    Albergues are not reserved for peregrinos either, we arrived at one and it had been block booked by a youth club group on holiday. We had to camp a couple of nights and pay for hotels on others.

interesting! that does indeed throw a bit of a spanner in the works. i had moved my dates now to May Bank Hol - but if June is still tough for accom, may have to think again

what year was this by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

The weather could be hit and miss. If it rains, it will b proper rain cats and dogs. It could b mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Did Sarria to Santiago to Santiago in April 2016...to say it rained is an understatement ...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Hi, I'm planning to start my camino frances journey this October with 7 days walking from SJPDP to Logrono (fingers crossed).

I am flying into Biarritz, thats a no brainer.
    However, my question to the forum is this: I have a choice of flying back to Dublin from either Biarritz Airport or Santander Airport on Day 8 - so which is easier to travel to from Logrono? And is that by rail or bus?

tks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Google maps can help, I also find this site helpful for planning
    https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Logroño/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Hi, I'm planning to start my camino frances journey this October with 7 days walking from SJPDP to Logrono (fingers crossed).

However, my question to the forum is this: I have a choice of flying back to Dublin from either Biarritz Airport or Santander Airport on Day 8 - so which is easier to travel to from Logrono? And is that by rail or bus?

Best of luck with it. Finishing in Logeomo it’s best to take the bus to Madrid for the sheer volume of flights to Dublin with Aer Lingus, ryanair and Iberia. Buses take only a couple of hours and can be easily booked on www.alsa.es

Best of luck with it. Finishing in Logeomo it’s best to take the bus to Madrid for the sheer volume of flights to Dublin with Aer Lingus, ryanair and Iberia. Buses take only a couple of hours and can be easily booked on www.alsa.es

Interesting. I’d have never considered Madrid before. Not sure why! Tks will check out that possibility too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@Huntingdrog

That is a lovely section of the camino to do. Depending on when you go in October there is the possibility that the higher path over the Pyrenees will be closed (due to snow). You can always take a lower path.

Lots of ways to fly in and out.
    From Logrono you can also get a bus to Bilbao and then another out to the airport. Bilbao is a great city to spend a couple of days in with a lovely walk along the river with cafes and places like the Guggenheim museum and San Mames stadium (home to Athletic Bilbao soccer club).

You could also fly into Bordeuax and get a train down.

• Advertisement

Logrono to Biarritz is a nightmare. Santander every time. Or Bilbao as above poster suggested.

@Huntingdrog

That is a lovely section of the camino to do. Depending on when you go in October there is the possibility that the higher path over the Pyrenees will be closed (due to snow). You can always take a lower path.

Lots of ways to fly in and out.
    From Logrono you can also get a bus to Bilbao and then another out to the airport. Bilbao is a great city to spend a couple of days in with a lovely walk along the river with cafes and places like the Guggenheim museum and San Mames stadium (home to Athletic Bilbao soccer club).

You could also fly into Bordeuax and get a train down.

Tks for that. I’m trying to tie the whole trip away from home at 9 days (2 for traveling and 7 for walking). Will check out Bilbao too. Tks

I plan to start walking on the Sun 14th, so I hope the higher path is open when I’m leaving SJPDP.

Logrono to Biarritz is a nightmare. Santander every time. Or Bilbao as above poster suggested.
    That’s exactly the answer I was looking for. How easy/hard to was to get to an airport from LogroCheers!

Will leave out Biarritz from my return options so

Logrono to Bilbao or Santander simple, regular buses direct.
    Logrono to Biarritz involves bus to San Sebastian, train to somewhere on France/Spain border, don't remember name, another train to Biarritz with long connection and then a bus to airport. Tickets are not integrated, each leg needs to be bought seperately. This was the case in 2012, it might possibly have improved since.

Logrono to Bilbao or Santander simple, regular buses direct.
    Logrono to Biarritz involves bus to San Sebastian, train to somewhere on France/Spain border, don't remember name, another train to Biarritz with long connection and then a bus to airport. Tickets are not integrated, each leg needs to be bought seperately. This was the case in 2012, it might possibly have improved since.

You’re a star! Tks for that great feedback

Have another issue.....hope ye can help!

My Saturday flight lands into Biarritz at 14.50 and based on the current train timetables, it looks like I won't be able to make it into SJPDP until 19.20.

I assume this is pretty late to get to do everything required in mid-October:
    - visit the Pilgrim Office (to get Pilgrim passport, list of albergues open ahead of me on the Camino and most importantly of all - to help me find accommodation for that night!)
    - buy a few essential snacks for the week ahead
    - get a hot meal into me.

So all in all, I think I'm pretty tight for time on the Sat evening and I really wish I wasn't as I know I'll be nervous enough ahead of starting my trek the following day...

So any suggestions/recommendations of what I should do? Should I try and book accommodation/bed for that night beforehand? Any places you recommend?

tks

I used these, https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/
    Worked out pretty ch.eap and they're waiting at the terminal for you.
    You can get a pilgrim passport in Dublin (or by post) before you go, its no big deal, its only a booklet for collecting stamps along the way.
    Your first days walk will end in Roncevalles, its got a huge albergue that will definitely be open, by then you'll hae found your feet (ouch).
    Don't stress about stuff in advance, its all very organised, you'll be fine.

I used these, https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/
    Worked out pretty ch.eap and they're waiting at the terminal for you.
    You can get a pilgrim passport in Dublin (or by post) before you go, its no big deal, its only a booklet for collecting stamps along the way.
    Your first days walk will end in Roncevalles, its got a huge albergue that will definitely be open, by then you'll hae found your feet (ouch).
    Don't stress about stuff in advance, its all very organised, you'll be fine.

tks loobylou for that website. That looks like a really good offer. I might indeed go with them. Will check them out nearer the time and arrange that.
    That will help me arrive in SJPDP in loads of time to get sorted with a albergue for that night and relax for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

jaw17 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm planning on doing part of the Camino this Spring - I'm a bit uncertain exactly how my trip will pan out.
    At the moment I plan to do the Portuguese Way from Lisbon to Santiago, and most likely I will cycle it as I only have about a week off from work. Is this fairly doable? I don't cycle at the moment but I plan to over the next few months to prepare for this trip!
    Alternatively, I could just travel from Porto to Santiago but I'd prefer to start in Lisbon as it would give me a chance to see more of Portugal which is a bonus of doing the trip I guess!

I've looked into renting a bike and it's set to cost €182 for 7 days with separate pick-up and drop off locations - does anybody have experience of this or does this seem reasonable? It's with a company called CyclingRentals.

Also, where can I get a Camino Passport?! It costs €10 from Irish Society of the Friends of St.James but I was under the impression that it would be much cheaper!??

I'm planning to travel here from 14th to 21st of March or else 30th of March to 6th of April - so wither over Paddy's Day or Easter to take advantage of the Bank Holidays and reduce the number if days I need off work!
    Does anybody have experience of doing the trip over Easter - would it be very busy? I know people say the Portuguese Way isn't the busiest of routes but would the last stage be really busy??

Where can I get a list of accommodation for the Portuguese Way - the only thing I've been able to find is all inclusive trips, etc. but I'd prefer to organise the trip myself.

I plan on doing the journey alone - have people found this OK? I don't normally travel alone but that's a bit of the attraction to kinda get some time to myself and away from normal day to day stuff! And I guess a week isn't that long to spend alone! I hear that people along the route are really friendly too so I'm sure I'll make a few friends along the way!

I'd really appreciate any advice - thanks!

How is your research going? I'm also planning a solo cycle starting in Porto to Santiago. The coastal route looks nice. Perhaps we can share notes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 btin

Hi.
    I'm travelling in June 20th 2018 to walk sections of the Camino. I'm arriving at Biarritz airport at 16.55 all going well. I can't seem to find out if trains are travelling. I believe the last train is supposed to be at 18.12. from Bayonne.
    Firstly, so you think I have enough time to make the train and secondly does anyone know why I am not able to prebook a train to SJPDP.....
    Thanks.

Advertisement