Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant stray cat...tips!

Options
  • 23-03-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Yep, ive gone and got myself attached to a beautiful grey mottled tortoishell stray cat over the last few weeks and im almost 100% sure shes pregnant.:o I cant help myself (shes just so pretty). Shes huge now and the last few nights has been lodging in my spare room rather than go off like she normally does.Shes still too timid to come anywhere near me but i dont want to lock her outside as she looks so close to giving birth. So, questions for yas:

• Is it wise to let her stay inside (window slightly ajar) if she decides to kitten there?Im worried because shes so shy she'll bolt and not come back.Ive another male cat (neutered) and while friendly i wouldnt trust him not to harm them.
    • Worming. No doubt she has worms being a stray.Can she be wormed before having her kittens or not?
    • Whens the best time to spay her?I dont want her getting pregnant straight after kittening.
    Ive upped her food the last week or so as shes just a hunger monster (not overfeeding though). Is there anything else i can do?My aim is to eventually tame her,we're making very slow progress but she looks very young so i think we'll get there in the end. Any tips?

002bo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Minky 123

You can worm her after she gives birth as far as I can remember, dont even think about spaying her till she raises the litter so roughley eight weeks after giving birth, Id personely give three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Traonach wrote: »
    You could spay the cat now, even if she is pregnant.
    :eek:
    Ive heard of that done in early pregnancy alright but theres no way id do it now,she looks too far advanced. Because shes a stray having to wait 8 weeks or whatever will be a nightmare not letting another tom near her. She may just take herself off somewhere and kitten by herself but ive grown very attached to her lately so would like to keep her as safe as possible for the next while (if she lets me :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Loopsie

Anniehoo, fair play!
    I would let her come and go as much as she likes and make up a nice dark warm space for her maybe in a very large box or something
    We did the same for our old cat, however we used an engine crate :) and made it nice and cosy and dark, plenty of food and water and leave her to it :)
    We are currently looking for a kitten so if you are looking for homes when they come along give me a pm!
    Above poster is right i would let her raise her brood, give her certainly 8 weeks before being spayed. It is not advisable to worm her now if she is heavily pregnant but again this can be done immediately once she has had her litter!!!! How exciting, i love babies !!!!!!!!!
    Loopsie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Personally, I would lock her inside, as long as she's not freaking out or anything. Just because if she goes off and has the kittens, they'll be feral, but if she has them in your house you can tame them and rehome them :)

She is so pretty, well done for looking after her :)

She probably won't get pregnant that fast afterwards., so I'd say you're safe to wait til they're 8 weeks old . . . but please someone correct me if you've known a cat get pregnant before the kittens were 8 weeks old? I've had a good few cats that had kittens and they never got pregnant again straight away, and got spayed after 8 weeks.

I hope that you can tame her. I'm sure there's some hope, if she is tame enough to come into the house and take food from you, she's not truly feral :)

And I'm not sure about worming, but I know with pregnant dogs you can worm them while pregnant, because some people worm them while pregnant so that they don't have to worm the pups when they're very young (you have to do it loads of times for that to work, not sure exactly)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Lovely looking cat, with eyes like that looking at you, I think she has plans for you, anniehoo.. :)

• Advertisement

Loopsie wrote: »
    We are currently looking for a kitten so if you are looking for homes when they come along give me a pm!
    Ah will do, hopefully all going well. There seems to be a ginger and white tom and a tabby tom floating around (who will get the snip if i can catch them), so with her colouring and theirs who knows what'll come out. She honestly looks fit to burst at the minute so im hoping there'll be something in the next week. Ill be back for more tips ;)

Can anyone help with the worming issue?Id ideally like to do it now so they're not passed prenatally or through the milk but i dont want to do any harm either. Im really hoping she manages by herself..the thoughts of handrearing :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Gorgeous kitty! I can see why you've taken a shine to her.
    Milbemax tablets are great broad spectrum wormers and are safe for use during lactation and/or pregnancy. I'd try to get the tablet into her now before she has the kittens and then you can worm the kittens every 2 weeks from 2 weeks of age.
    Oh and about spaying- I'd try to do it around 6 weeks after she has the kittens. If you're really unlucky she could get pregnant again that soon!

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ah will do, hopefully all going well. There seems to be a ginger and white tom and a tabby tom floating around (who will get the snip if i can catch them), so with her colouring and theirs who knows what'll come out. She honestly looks fit to burst at the minute so im hoping there'll be something in the next week. Ill be back for more tips ;)

Can anyone help with the worming issue?Id ideally like to do it now so they're not passed prenatally or through the milk but i dont want to do any harm either. Im really hoping she manages by herself..the thoughts of handrearing :eek::eek:

I'd ask a vet about the worming. With dogs, you have to do something like worm them every day from day ?? to two days after the pups are born or something . . . I'm not sure about that so don't trust it, but it's something like that. Hopefully a good vet would know what to do. Or you can just worm the kittens when they're old enough, because nearly all kittens are born with worms anyway, and they do fine :)

Sounds like they'll be really cute kittens anyway :) I always wanted a blue tortoiseshell cat, they're so pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

First, keep her indoors, and commit to keeping her indoors throughout the rest of the pregnancy and until the kittens are weaned. There is always a risk of injury or death to cats with unrestricted outdoor access, and I'd be worried that, even though she might not intend on going far, a kick from a person or a smack from a car would be enough to necessitate a trip to the vet, and more importantly, you'd have to get your 2-hour-round-the-clock-handfeeding mojo on for her kittens.

Additionally she may well decide she doesn't fancy your spare room and go give birth to her kittens under a bush outside.

In terms of what to expect and when, gestation averages 65 days. In the last 48 hours before she gives birth, she may nest (you want to provide her a large, high-sided cardboard box lined with newspaper or an old blanket or towel - something that won't snag on her claws or the kittens would be good). You can make a good kittening box by taking a sturdy cardboard box about two feet square, and cut one of the sides down by two thirds so the queen can get in and out but the 'wall' helps keep the kittens in the box while they're tiny.

If there's any requirement at any stage for you to use a heat pad or a hot water bottle with your queen and her new kittens, make sure you always put the heat source to one side so kittens can get off it if they get too hot. Even small kittens will roll away from the heat if it gets too much. I've seen some instances where very well-meaning people have killed tiny kittens sitting them atop a towel atop a hot water bottle - they just get too hot and try to roll away, and if they can't get away from it they will overheat and die.

As well as nesting, her mammary glands will increase in size and she may begin producing milk in the last 48 hours, plus she may go off her food a bit. (That appetite will come back with a bang after she has the kittens!) However if she goes off her food entirely for 24 hours or becomes lethargic or depressed, call the vet.

Don't worm her while she's pregnant. She doesn't look to be hopelessly thin and in terrible condition in the picture, so no need to worm her just yet. Wait until the kittens are a couple of weeks old and feeding and growing well. Give the vet a call and request a good worming med for a nursing mother. I wouldn't use a spot-on medication on a nursing mother with young kittens either, so stick to oral meds. Better for the meds to be passed through the kitten via the stomach through the mother's milk than passed into the kitten via the placenta while they're still being formed. Milbemax is indeed a very good wormer but my personal preference would still be to wait until the kittens are two weeks old.

Cats can get pregnant as soon as two weeks after having a litter. It depends on the cat. I've seen quite a few queens push the kittens away at about 6 weeks old and start to call. You'll *know* if your queen is calling - yowling, bum in the air, trying to escape. If you're keeping her indoors-only and not allowing her to escape, you can pick your spey time at the vet. Ideally waiting until the kittens are 8-10 weeks old would be good, but you need to make certain she can't escape. If you can't guarantee that, talk to the vet about booking her in when they're six weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

She is stunning.

Great advice that I can't add to, but I have a good home lined up for a male grey kitten. So if she has any and you wish to rehome, please let me know.

EDIT: Had to add, she really is one of the prettiest cats I've seen. She nearly looks blue in the pic.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    EDIT: Had to add, she really is one of the prettiest cats I've seen. She nearly looks blue in the pic.
    I know she is unbelieveably pretty its like grey and tortie have blurred together. Thought it was going to be all systems go last night as i got her a box and lined it with newpaper and a towel. She must of spent an hour fixing it etc. I got up at 7am hopin to see kitties...and nothin :o
    Heres another pic

003iw.jpg

Oh lads! Right shes in definite labour, just went into the spare room and she has a very pronounced "sac" emerging but shes not making any attempt to use the box at all. Arrggggh...what'll i do?? She walked to the door to be let out but as shes been here practically all week im reluctant.

Help folks. Shes so young. I think she should be nesting not just lying on the floor/going to the door. I just dont know if im distressing her more by keeping her in or not....

Don't let her out. Don't stress her out. Let her get on with it. It can take a few hours to deliver a whole litter of kittens. If she doesn't want to be in that box, don't put her in there.

Where has she set up in your room? What's she up to right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

If she doesn't want the box, throw an old duvet or a bundle of towels in a corner so she has an alternative place, keep the lights dimmed right down and let her get on with it. She wants privacy, but keep a discrete eye in case of emergency.

Okay, more info:

If you're dealing with an anxious, timid cat, you're going to stress her out utterly if you keep opening and closing the door to watch her. Grab a sleeping bag and a cup of coffee and a book, and head in there slowly and calmly and sit on the floor and read your book. Speak soothingly to her, but no fast movements. Either that, or stay out!

Some cats nest, some pick something other than the nest you've provided. Plenty of people have set up nesting boxes in their bedroom to find the cat giving birth on their duvet that afternoon.

To make yourself feel better, get a few things together - clean towel, kitchen paper for cleaning up just in case, the number for an emergency vet like UCD who can calm you down 24 hours a day over the phone if you get anxious, so on.

She'll do the work herself - she'll chew through umbilical cords, she'll wash and nudge kittens - with an anxious cat who isn't quite tame, I'd be participating as little as possible. At most I'd pick up a kitten gently and place it against her belly for suckling - and ONLY if she was pushing the kitten away.

If she's pushing a particular kitten away you may need to intervene to make sure the kitten is breathing - sometimes a wee intervention of giving them a gentle rub in a clean towel can get the party started, as it were, and you can drop them at her belly to suckle and she'll then accept them.

Don't panic too much - instinct is a marvellous thing.

Where has she set up in your room? What's she up to right now?
    She hasnt set up anywhere as such, thats the thing. Ive had a huge blanket type throw on the floor thats been there for weeks which shes been occasionally sitting/sleeping on.Its only this week thats shes properly stayed for any length of time i.e the whole week.:oI walked in and she was lying in the middle of the carpet and then went to be let out the door.Thats when i saw the "sac bulge", around 11.30pm. Last night i put down a covered over cardboard box,lined with newspaper and a towel, which she was rooting around in for ages so i knew she was "close",but shes not using it now. She doesnt seem distressed, but in the same way not anyway bothered about "the situation". Shes well set up in there so im going to leave her to it and check on her in the middle of the night to make sure shes not in any difficulty.
    Rancid wrote: »
    She wants privacy, but keep a discrete eye in case of emergency.
    Just checked, she looks fine but no sign of anything in an hour or so. Im not going to keep checking as it'll just distress her so heres hoping by morning its a good result and she cops what to do.

Arrghh...heres hopin ill sleep tonight :o;) Thanks folks, im just worried because shes practically feral and im afraid that im doing more harm than good.

Nah if she was feral you wouldn't even be able to take pics of her. She's just stressed.

If you have to handle her at any point for any reason, move slowly and extend your hand towards her with fingers curled under unthreateningly, not outstretched. When you do touch her, be firm and very gentle, but don't be hesitant or tentative because that can cause more agitation.

How is she today? Did everything go alright?

No news folks, shes still in the same way.:o I went into her around 7am and there was not a bother out of her. The sac bulge is still there,although not as prominent. Shes not distressed,making noise or straining at all :confused:

Im at a loss now. She ate the food i gave her and everything. My concern now is a kitten is stuck or something and is going to cause problems. Im going to leave her the full 24 hrs and make 100% sure shes having difficulty before i bring her to the vet.If she was visibly in distress id bring her straight in but im reluctant as the stress of that would freak her out.

That's a bit strange, but they do say labour can take a very long time. I hope everything will be alright with her and she'll have them soon herself

• Advertisement

Any change since this morning?

Wooohooo \o/!!!! Panic over!!Its all go here this evening :D Shes had 4 kittens so far and is doing great. 1 black, 1 tabby, 2 ginger and whites and i dont think shes finished. I came home to her looking very relaxed to these 2 at 6pm:

018l.jpg

Its so exciting as ive never done this before but shes a total natural. She has them all cleaned off,umbilicol and placenta gone and they appear to be healthy and attempting to feed. :D

So DAY 1 of "Mollys Diary"...i hadnt named her, but i suppose shes here to stay now :D
    Im going to use this as a log of how theyre doing, so would love any help or advice along the way. Thanks folks for all the advice so far its a great end to the week. Heres hoping she manages to get them all out safe and get them eating.

That's so great :) I was nervous checking this thread, I was worried worried about her, but it sounds like everything's great. :)

Well done for looking after her, otherwise these little kittens would have grown up feral, but now they'll be friendly and have a great life. :)

It's so nice raising tiny kittens, we haven't had any here for years and years, so I really miss them. I'm always half hoping a pregnant stray will turn up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Aw brilliant. Well done for taking her in, she is a gorgeous cat. Best of luck with it all now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

I've been following this thread, I love cats so much. I'm so happy to hear that she's had her babies :-)

Excellent news!
    Looks like she's doing great with the kittens, nice and settled, so panic is over.

Well done anniehoo on taking her in, looking after her and giving her a safe place to have her kittens. :)

Thanks guys,its just so exciting! Im leaving her to it now until the morning so im hopin they all start doing what they're meant to. Her litter tray is clean, theres food and water for her and the room is dark. Its up to her now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

That is brilliant news! Go Molly! She has such a beautiful coat.

Just had a look (couldnt wait), shes doing amazing. 5 so far but one ginger guy still had his chord and placenta (cold and so much bigger than i thought) still hanging.I think she was just knackered. Put it up to her to do herself (hissed but no interest in getting rid herself).Got semi sterile blade (boiling kettle job) and cut it myself and put him in the middle of the rest of them..she seemed happy enough with that.

The room is kind of cold so will leave the heating on for a bit and give the ginger lad time to get going.

Offered her food and she actually lapped it up, but is still very aware of her kitties which is brilliant.:D

Have the camera battery on charge :p So far so good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

You're doing everything perfectly well Anniehoo, cats are pretty self reliant when it comes to their kittens, even the very young ones have very good instincts. Leave her to do her own thing for a while, like any new mum she will be very concerned for her babies so won't take too kindly to a lot of noise or disturbance around them. Lots of food and water at regular intervals as she will be thirsty.Oh and listen to The Sweeper-excellent posts!!

Oh how i envy you, i love seeing those tiny new kittens being born!! :D

Advertisement