Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's gone wild and bought unverified mpeg4 dvb-t recievers?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Hi Sam
    yes - I have a suggestion is regarding the way the naming of files it records to a USB device - currently it records the channel name - could you request for the next firmware update that it incorporates the name of the recorded program into the filename (of the recorded file)

other than that great device ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Without asking, I would expect that they will say it would be too difficult to do. However, I will ask, but without an ongoing order, I think their enthusiasm will be quite small.

Probably more important would be LCN ( Logical Chanel Numbers) for when the second mux becomes operational on !st September this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭laura29

hiya
    im interested in getting a freeview box or 2 installed (have a sky dish) do any of you guys do nixers and install ? u all seem to know ur stuff and i need it done pretty soon , north county dublin , also a magic eye install and a tv hung , anyone interested pm me please or reccomend someone , thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭homer911

laura29 wrote: »
    hiya
    im interested in getting a freeview box or 2 installed (have a sky dish) do any of you guys do nixers and install ? u all seem to know ur stuff and i need it done pretty soon , north county dublin , also a magic eye install and a tv hung , anyone interested pm me please or reccomend someone , thanks in advance :)

Freeview has nothing to do with a Satellite dish and you wont receive it in North Co. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Hi Sam
    I have a logitech universal remote - Harmony 300 - when you're programming it (online - connected to PC via USB cable) - it asks the brand name of the device you will be controlling ?

Does the SCART Adaptor have a brand name as such ?

Or would anyone here know which brand name to choose when programming the Logitech Harmony Remote (to control this DVB-T Scart Adaptor) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

dmm1000 wrote: »
    Hi Sam
    I have a logitech universal remote - Harmony 300 - when you're programming it (online - connected to PC via USB cable) - it asks the brand name of the device you will be controlling ?

Does the SCART Adaptor have a brand name as such ?

Or would anyone here know which brand name to choose when programming the Logitech Harmony Remote (to control this DVB-T Scart Adaptor) ?

Don't know about your particular remote but I have a couple of Sam's units which I can use with the Lidl universal remote. It has a learn facility so I used the dvb-t remote to 'teach' the universal one. Works fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am afraid that is as good as it gets. I have asked on many occasions for this, but the question falls into the 'lost in translation' category. They have no idea what I am asking them to give me. I am not sure if it a deaf ear or they genuinely do not understand, but the result is the same. I would need to order in huge numbers to extend the software to meet all expectations, which I am not prepared to do at present.

Unfortunately for anyone wanting more of these boxes - I am now out of stock and do not intend (as I have previously stated) getting any more.

I will reconsider only if the competition prices do not fall below €30 in the new year, which is where they should be. Obviously the current turmoil in the currency market may affect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thats Sam's box by any other name.

Thats Sam's box by any other name.

Not quite, but simmilar. Software will be different, as will the PSU. It will also lack the HDMI cable and the aerial extension cable. Not to mention the manual. It uses the same chipset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Not quite, but simmilar. Software will be different, as will the PSU. It will also lack the HDMI cable and the aerial extension cable. Not to mention the manual. It uses the same chipset.

Sam, nothing personal. Thats why I used the phrase"by any other name", i.e. broadly similar. Bloody Ebay is full of those imitations:(

Sam, nothing personal. Thats why I used the phrase"by any other name", i.e. broadly similar. Bloody Ebay is full of those imitations:(

No problem. I am no longer supplying as I am out of stock, and no intention of buying more. I am just warning potential purchasers that it is not the same as mine, and also it is in Hong Kong, and a Customs check away.

It took a lot of time to identify the product and get the specification right, including a 3 pin plug. I went to a lot of trouble to bring a 'plug and play' product to all the intelligent people on boards.ie who saw the value and purchased a superiour product at a very reasonable price. It has worked for all of them and all are 100% satisfied (as far as I know).

Before the product gets here, it has to get customs clearance, which might be expensive. This product might be good, and then again it might have problems. The purchaser will be a long way from Hong Kong.

Caveat Emptor.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Welcome to boards DigiTelly.Ie. Although you cant promote your own business here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I sell MPEG4 HD Scart receivers 36 euro
    Direct link: http://digitelly.vpweb.ie/Digital-Receivers.html
    No custom fees and proper 12 month guarantee (invoice provided)

Not to rain on anyones parade, but I also note that there is €10 postage on top of that. That €46.

Be aware that Argos have an official, certified and hence fully supported Saorview set top box (Bush) for €50 available in local Argos stores. The certified Saorview boxes are compliant with Saorview standard and should problems arise will be fine tuned/fixes without user interaction in over the air firmware updates.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322783/Trail/searchtext%3EBUSH+SET+TOP+BOX.htm

There was a time when these little Scart Sized devices where a cheap alternative but since they dont have the middleware (MHEG5) for digital teletext and any future interactive service plans and since certified boxes like the Bush in Argos are now selling at a similar price point there is no real gain in buying non certified single tuner receivers unless they are €25/30 or offer more functionality (double tuner at least) which these dont.

Oh sorry, I tought that Sam was selling his receivers and was out of stock and I lifted my product up..

my apologies

1) STB Argos 49 euro Saorview receivers are out of stock
    2) I think most of the sellers charge shipping fees today?

I was selling my boxes through adverts.ie and I am no longer selling them because the market has caught up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Oh sorry, I tought that Sam was selling his receivers and was out of stock and I lifted my product up..

my apologies

1) STB Argos 49 euro Saorview receivers are out of stock
    2) I think most of the sellers charge shipping fees today?

Your website has been well promoted by another poster over the past few weeks on boards.

CERTIFIED boxes are also available from Powercity at €59 and are in stock.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-DI1180&pages=&prod=DI1180&image=

Yes most online shops do charge shipping. Are you online only or is there a West coast satellites/Digitelly shop in Tubbercurry that might interest local people for a drop in price of €36 ?

Again with the convenience of walk in shops like Powercity or Argos or Harvey Normans there is no shipping costs.

I don't sell anything myself. I just give advice.

If there is €10 in the diffrence between a certified and non certified receiver I would advise people to go with the certified unit for fully serviced compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Don't know if this has already been mentioned or not, but my local Tesco store had on it's shelves yesterday, a HD DTT box called Laurus ( I think ) and it had what looked like the official Saorview Approved sticker on it. Retailing at €89. Anybody know anything about these ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

galtee boy wrote: »
    Don't know if this has already been mentioned or not, but my local Tesco store had on it's shelves yesterday, a HD DTT box called Laurus ( I think ) and it had what looked like the official Saorview Approved sticker on it. Retailing at €89. Anybody know anything about these ?

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/laurus/

Advertisement