Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanye West

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I got 'likes' for saying he was the best male artist of the last ten years (which I firmly believe) but another guy said he was the best artist of his generation and the entire conversation has became a little spoiled. I don't personally think that he's the artist of his generation, at least not in terms of rap, but give him time and you never know - he'll certainly be around for the next 10-15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

He's deadly, loved his old stuff and love the variety in his most recent album...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Edgehead

He aims to make music for another genre, the same one which everyone is aiming at these days,

Which genre is that? Please don't try tell me that MBDTF is anything like any of the other tripe currently doing the rounds. It's an absolute masterpiece. The string arrangement on the intro, the drums on AOTL, John Legend on Blame Game, the chants in Power, the guitar solo in DIAND, such an epic piece of work.

Your username speaks volumes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Raoul

Edgehead wrote: »
    Which genre is that? Please don't try tell me that MBDTF is anything like any of the other tripe currently doing the rounds. It's an absolute masterpiece. The string arrangement on the intro, the drums on AOTL, John Legend on Blame Game, the chants in Power, the guitar solo in DIAND, such an epic piece of work.

Your username speaks volumes ;)

I concur. Plus, I don't think he is trying to be the greatest rapper really. He is trying new stuff all the time. Like lots of people didn't like 808s, infact I hated it at first, now I actually really like it, enjoy listening to it so much.

I think that he gives us different types of music each time. Compare his latest album to his and they are miles apart but both equally brilliant, in my opinion.

I really think Kanye is one of the best artists of this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

Revisiting an old post but anyway here goes...

I remember listening to Kanye's first album when it came out and i was impressed, there was some great beats on there and just like he says on it....

'Better take Freeway, throw him on tracks with Mos Def
    Call him Kwa-li or Kwe-li, I put him on songs with Jay-Z
    I'm the Gap like Banana Republic and Old Navy, and, ooh
    It come out sweeter than old Sadie'

I was impressed the way he provided the link between 'commercial' and 'underground rappers'.

I bought his second album in 2005 and thought it too was a solid effort i went off him by the time his third record was released,which i did not buy. I didn't like Stronger, the lead single at the time and by that stage he was a global superstar which put fickle me off as i thought if all these sixteen year olds are into him he can't be that good.

But in the last six months i have been listening to his first two albums again which promted me to buy the rest of his back catalogue a few weeks ago; Graduation, 808's and Heartbreak, My dark twisted fantasy and Watch the throne.

I have to say i'm more than impressed. He has great variation between all his albums. When he ditches rapping for singing it works a treat he pulls it off so much better than Andre 3000, the latter being a far superior Rapper in my opinion.

He also has great subject matter and writes about love, heartbreak and relationships in a way not many other Rappers do, there is a great consistency in his work which i hope continues and is something even his mentor Jay-Z hasn't always had ie. in my lifetime vol one, blueprint 2, kingdom come, granted his career has been shorter but so far so good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Kanye is nowhere near the best rapper. He is however one of the greatest artists of thr last few years when taken as a whole.

The best rappers rarely get the props or sales they deserve - Pharoah Monche could out rap any of the current platinum plus artists for example, but sells a lot less album because his style and subject matter isn't radio friendly.

Kanye couldn't outrap Pharoah in a million years, but he could create a better album and make more of an impact. When he came out, his then signature sound of speed up soul samples dominated hip-hop (though he wasn't the only one to bring it to the fore, nor was he the first doing it). Yet he has changed his style with every single album, all generally successful. If graduation is his worst hip-hop album, he's clearly going well.

On top of that, if you look at the careers he's helped make, and the talent he is fostering at GOOD Music, he's legacy will be amazing.

He will have impacted music way more than most other artists by the time he is done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

He's a better producer than he is a rapper, I think even he would admit that. Best artist of the generation though? Please. A better singer than Andre 3000? GTFO. Kanye can't even sing without autotune.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I loved the first two albums, the third one was a bit different but still very good. But 808's put me off him and, despite all the hype, haven't given MBDTF much notice.

As a rapper, he's good. He raps mostly about stuff that's totally left of field for mainstream rappers: going to college, his love for his mother (2Pac aside), his family, his personal problems. He never tried to be a gangsta rapper and he really is himself on tracks. Of course, this leads to some of his cringeworthy puns but it's a more genuine side, which is good to see, and he does have some good one-liners ("Come home, you know you can't roam without a Cesar"). Also, I don't think he's boring in this style.

That said, his flow can be lazy and I find that hearing him inhale on every track takes away from him. Also, as mentioned, he has some terrible puns.

Overall, I think he's a good rapper but not in the top tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Does he like fishsticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Excellent producer, good rapper, a string of excellent albums under his belt not to mention the albums he's done production on. My favourite rapper from the new-ish generation.

Late Registration is a classic.

• Advertisement

He's a better producer than he is a rapper, I think even he would admit that. Best artist of the generation though? Please. A better singer than Andre 3000? GTFO. Kanye can't even sing without autotune.

Never said he was a better singer than Dre 3000 what i am saying is that the records where he does sing like 808's and Hearbreaks are far superior than the Love Below which is an average album at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Kanye West = **** Rapper, Great Producer.

When it comes to making a beat he has serious talent but his style of rapping is crap, its boring.

*i am only jealous that he has loads of money and loads of women so just ignore me

:D

the Love Below which is an average album at best

Far from an average album, better than anything Kanye could put together by a mile. In fact it's the best experimental hip hop album of all time.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Far from an average album, better than anything Kanye could put together by a mile. In fact it's the best experimental hip hop album of all time.

That's some claim....but each to there own i guess. I personally believe Andre let himself down with The Love Below, he's one of my favourite MC's but that album pales in comparison with Speakerbox, totally different records of course but comparable non the less given the fact they were released as one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I recently listened to MBDTF again last week after arguing about it in another thread a while ago. I have to say i find it a very boring album, after I gave it 1 spin I found it hard to listen to again and actually turned on the radio which is sonething i never do!.

Like I said before its all over the place and kind of crammed in , a few horrible features aswell kanye drowning a few cats in auto tune followed by more unesscary rubbish. I hate to be repetitive but it's no where near a classic and was only hyped because his return to hip hop, good album all the same but that's all it is a good album.

Btw Does kanye actually think he can sing? Even auto tune assisted he's laughable trying to hit notes.

Never said he was a better singer than Dre 3000 what i am saying is that the records where he does sing like 808's and Hearbreaks are far superior than the Love Below which is an average album at best

This is a joke.

Btw Does kanye actually think he can sing? Even auto tune assisted he's laughable trying to hit notes.

I think he tells himself that he's capable of doing anything and has no one around him to tell him otherwise. He is an atrocious singer. I cringe every time I hear him.

This is a joke.

not joking at all mate.

most people, critics and music fans will agree as i've stated earlier that album was completely upstaged by Big Boi's Speakerbox

ost people, critics and music fans will agree as i've stated earlier that album was completely upstaged by Big Boi's Speakerbox

I wouldn't.

ost people, critics and music fans will agree as i've stated earlier that album was completely upstaged by Big Boi's Speakerbox

I wouldn't.
    . Well there's always going to be one or two. Only joking fair enough that's ur opinion but I am of the opinion that it along with 808's and MBDTF are all superior pieces of work to The Love Below.

Wouldn't it be boring if we all shared the same opinions?

• Advertisement

..and who cares if Kanye is not a great singer. Ian Brown couldn't sing but it didn't stop him fronting one of the greatest Rock n Roll bands of the last thirty years

..and who cares if Kanye is not a great singer. Ian Brown couldn't sing but it didn't stop him fronting one of the greatest Rock n Roll bands of the last thirty years

At least Ian Brown didn't use autotune to try and cover up the fact that he can't sing.

At least Ian Brown didn't use autotune to try and cover up the fact that he can't sing.

No he just embarrassed himself infront of almost a hundred thousand people at the Reading festival in 1996....still a legend though

No he just embarrassed himself infront of almost a hundred thousand people at the Reading festival in 1996....still a legend though

Yes but Kanye's whole career is based around his rapping and producing. Ian Browns whole career is based around his singing, which he does with a certain amount of skill. Kanye singing was more of an experiment than anything else.

This is like comparing Adelle and Eminem because Eminem has sang on a couple of songs.

This might not makes sense to any of yous but it's making sense in my head :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

not joking at all mate.

most people, critics and music fans will agree as i've stated earlier that album was completely upstaged by Big Boi's Speakerbox

I wouldn't say completely upstaged, but it was pipped at the post for sure. Speakerbox is a brilliant album.

Even if he did, he still sings better than Kanye. Kanye won't even show us what he really sounds like without autotune, and it's still sh*t with the autotune. Also, if you're gonna attempt to sing soul-type music, you should at least be able to hold a tune. Which he can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Even if he did, he still sings better than Kanye. Kanye won't even show us what he really sounds like without autotune, and it's still sh*t with the autotune. Also, if you're gonna attempt to sing soul-type music, you should at least be able to hold a tune. Which he can't.
    4;10 onwards

Kanye isn't that bad of a singer at all, especially without autotune

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Raoul

Don't see why it has to be perfect. Once it is enjoyable to listen to. Reminds me of Tenacious D, say something like it doesn't matter if its good it just matters if it rocks.

Kanye is probably one of my most favourite artists. When he did 808s, I thought it was crap. About a year later I relistened to it and I think it is an absolute gem for sticking on when going to bed. His albums are so diverse.

So for me it doesn't matter if he can sing, rap or produce the best. Overall, I find the music excellent and thoroughly enjoyable and can suit any mood.

Raoul wrote: »
    Don't see why it has to be perfect. Once it is enjoyable to listen to. Reminds me of Tenacious D, say something like it doesn't matter if its good it just matters if it rocks.

Kanye is probably one of my most favourite artists. When he did 808s, I thought it was crap. About a year later I relistened to it and I think it is an absolute gem for sticking on when going to bed. His albums are so diverse.

So for me it doesn't matter if he can sing, rap or produce the best. Overall, I find the music excellent and thoroughly enjoyable and can suit any mood.

I didn't say it had to be perfect, but it definitely doesn't "rock". And I don't find it at all enjoyable to listen to when he sings. He's just not that good at singing. The guy is capable of making a good tune, but there are things he just isn't good at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Kanye ranks higher than Em but lower than Mos imo who himself is no Lauryn.

Advertisement