Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50:50 to end on the 28-03-11.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

Where did you get 2012 from?

The news was only breaking when I typed that.

The radio report said that it wouldn't come into effect until 2012 - think they ment it wouldn't affect recruitment until then because thats when the next recruitment process will take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Well , no need to speculate now anymore about 50/50 , I'm surprised that no other mechanism has been introduced to ensure RC representation.

Expect lots of FOI requests next recruitment drive :rolleyes:

What do people think will happen to the current merit list? Will they still be allowed to se it?

Im sure external appointments are putting stamps on letters as we speak...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Well this is the final nail in the coffin for this recruitment campaign. Its a pity for us all as anyone left in the pool will have to reapply. Im not sure that they would be able to start selecting again from this pool it would cause too much of a headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Delancey wrote: »
    Well , no need to speculate now anymore about 50/50 , I'm surprised that no other mechanism has been introduced to ensure RC representation.

Expect lots of FOI requests next recruitment drive :rolleyes:

They might have several plans in place for all we know. I think that if there is going to be continued recruitment along the lines of religion then it should be much more proportionate, i.e. if 30% of those in the merit pool are RC then 30% of available places should be allocated to them, then everyone, no matter what their religion is, has an equal chance of getting a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Well this is the final nail in the coffin for this recruitment campaign. Its a pity for us all as anyone left in the pool will have to reapply. Im not sure that they would be able to start selecting again from this pool it would cause too much of a headache.

Would not agree, as this campaign has been run under the 50 / 50 and therefore no laws/rules will have been broken if any further intakes are decided upon - I suppose it depends on the exact wording of the statement (if any) with regards to present recruitment - I for one live in hope of positive news but as said at least this clarifies for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

Again, staying positive.

Would i be too optimistic if i said, they might continue from current list, but without positive discrimination in place?

SJAG wrote: »
    Again, staying positive.

Would i be too optimistic if i said, they might continue from current list, but without positive discrimination in place?

Thats what my hope is. Might be too much to ask for :o

• Advertisement

SJAG wrote: »
    Again, staying positive.

It is a possibility but as long as they continue either way I will be happy, l personally would have thought that if they continue on the current list then it would continue on a 50 50 basis, as this is the basis under which the campaign was run. To do differently may be leaving themselves open to a case of discrimination - So long as they use the current merit pool I will be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

There would be no grounds for a case of discrimination surely. the list will still be used, as it has been, however all the nrc who were bypassed further up the list to implement 50:50 would get there place. however that would surely mean an intake without a single RC student.... since it jumped from ~230 on the NRC side to ~650+ on the RC side.

Future intakes will be watched closely by politicians for their RC / NRC composition - an intake of say 90% NRC will elicit a lot of noise , it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Future intakes will be watched closely by politicians for their RC / NRC composition - an intake of say 90% NRC will elicit a lot of noise , it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

One of the reasons I personally think the current merit pool (if used) would continue on a 50 50 basis

Surely future intakes will not require you to disclose your ''community background'' - therefore as long as youre a human being, the top x amount of candidates in the merit pool will go through...the rest fail.

Religion shouldnt be a factor at all. So a FOI request would be useless as the PSNI wont have that sort of info anymore. I believe thats how it should be from now on.

0607 wrote: »
    Surely future intakes will not require you to disclose your ''community background'' - therefore as long as youre a human being, the top x amount of candidates in the merit pool will go through...the rest fail.

Religion shouldnt be a factor at all. So a FOI request would be useless as the PSNI wont have that sort of info anymore. I believe thats how it should be from now on.

Northern Ireland now has some of the toughest fair employment legislation in Europe. All employers ( above a certain size ) are required to monitor their recruitment , even with 50/50 gone candidates will be required to disclose their RC / non-RC status - if this were not done it would be impossible to measure the make-up of the Police.
    As the saying goes : '' If it can't be measured then it can't be managed ''.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Why the need to measure it or manage it - in what way religion is actually relevant to employment in the vast majority of jobs?

wanadrum wrote: »
    Why the need to measure it or manage it - in what way religion is actually relevant to employment in the vast majority of jobs?

Because for decades the unemployment rate for RC's in Northern Ireland was way above that for non-RC's with many big employers not employing any RC's.
    Fair employment legislation requires employers to monitor the make up of their workforce - this has opened up opportunities in many companies / organisations that previously favoured staff from one section of the community over another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Because for decades the unemployment rate for RC's in Northern Ireland was way above that for non-RC's with many big employers not employing any RC's.
    Fair employment legislation requires employers to monitor the make up of their workforce - this has opened up opportunities in many companies / organisations that previously favoured staff from one section of the community over another.

On a sideline; I was chatting to a lady who's quite senior in the HR department in of a world famous drinks company that has a substantial plant and office in Belfast a while ago. They are very aware of religious/society issues in Northern Ireland and they would be very careful in their recruitment process as to have a balance in their workforce. According to her there are several advantages to having an as balanced as possible workforce :

- it makes sectarian nonsense on the workfloor a lot harder to take root

- it appears to be breaking down barriers between folks from different
    backgrounds

- it reduces sectarian based grievances

Northern Ireland now has some of the toughest fair employment legislation in Europe. All employers ( above a certain size ) are required to monitor their recruitment , even with 50/50 gone candidates will be required to disclose their RC / non-RC status - if this were not done it would be impossible to measure the make-up of the Police.
    As the saying goes : '' If it can't be measured then it can't be managed ''.

Was just thinking that this afternoon mate. Remembering when you apply for any job they ask you on their own monitoring forum. Sad state of affairs in the Uk.

• Advertisement

0607 wrote: »
    Was just thinking that this afternoon mate. Remembering when you apply for any job they ask you on their own monitoring forum. Sad state of affairs in the Uk.

Good point - throughout the UK Public Service applicants are asked about their ethnicity and increasingly are asked about their sexual orientation , disabilities , etc. Northern Ireland just takes it 1 step further by asking about religion.

Funny story about that : The Met a number of years ago announced a big increase in the number of new recruits from Ethnic Minorities , the increase was so sudden that some suspicious minds decided to delve deeper into the figures . It emerged that the increase was largely down to The Met classing all recruits from the island of Ireland as a minority. When the Irish recruits were discounted the figures showed a much smaller increase :rolleyes: .

So today is an end to an era, as 50:50 officially ends.

Thank goodness.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    So today is an end to an era, as 50:50 officially ends.

Yeah- bad day for all us wannabes. Just think about the amount of people who had the chance to join the police as they changed a huge chunk of the workforce. If it wasnt for Pattens recomendations there would have been a lot less places available within the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Yes less spaces - but if we are still not in it doesn't mean much.

On another note, I think they have gotten riid of/lost a lot of experienced officers - and if the security situation worsens the may regret it.

So who thinks the wait until march letter is gonna turn out to be a wait after march letter?

wanadrum wrote: »
    Yes less spaces - but if we are still not in it doesn't mean much.

On another note, I think they have gotten riid of/lost a lot of experienced officers - and if the security situation worsens the may regret it.

So who thinks the wait until march letter is gonna turn out to be a wait after march letter?

I wouldnt be surprised to hear that some of the more senior officers are offering advice or perhaps doing a little behind the scenes. Actually just to add to my previous point-Wont there be even less spaces available in the future since they have recruited so many young recruits who can provide the full term in the police, any one who was near retirement and eligable for patten more than likely took it?

We could still hear back officially over the next couple of days. I was secretly hoping that they would pull another intake out of the bag before the offical ending of 5050- would have been good but the chance has passed.

Don't give up hope, not everybody will do the full term and I am hoping there could be 30 to 40 spaces available every year, I know it's not huge, but 30 to 40 spaces is better than no spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I wouldnt be surprised to hear that some of the more senior officers are offering advice or perhaps doing a little behind the scenes.

I'm sure I read somewhere some former detectives were being rehired through agencies to help out. Sounds insane but policing in NI is a unique situation.

Happy to see 50:50 ending. Must have been a real source of anger for Protestants who scored high but didn't get offered a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

I'm sure I read somewhere some former detectives were being rehired through agencies to help out. Sounds insane but policing in NI is a unique situation.

Happy to see 50:50 ending. Must have been a real source of anger for Protestants who scored high but didn't get offered a job.

Not for the protestants who got a job due to the high in takes because of 50/50!

• Advertisement

I heard them saying that the 1st minister, DFM, baggot and ford were discussing the 50:50 when they were at stormont today.

Can they reverse the decision? Or is it final. Didn't seem like it was final.

Advertisement