Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good German-speaking films with Eng Subtitles

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I have watched Die Welle recently and found it a very good film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

peasant wrote: »
    This is an actual DDR film ...a love story really. Fairly non-political, but shot in the actual DDR and with DDR actors ...no subtitles though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpPqUfqIEck

I know of no period films (neither east nor west German) that actually looked at the DDR critically or even just described day to day life. DDR film making was heavily controlled, they had to stay within the party line. Western TV/film basically wasn't interested (and there may have been an element of not wanting to upset the tetchy relationship)

Love that movie, it's all wrong, but I like that movie.
    MANUTD99 wrote: »
    would suggest looking at Keinohrhasen for a giggle.

Found it quite funny watching it with my OH

Taxi driver scene :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Watched two more movies over the weekend, Nirgendwo in Afrika http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0161860/ and Napola http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384369/

Both decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Watched "Before The Fall" today. Thought it was rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pixie8

Probably been mentioned already but The Lives of Others is really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Agreed with the above, brilliant film regarding the last years of the DDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Came accross a film called Sonnenallee..

Ever seen it? I'm thinking to buy
    Lol, I live on Sonnenallee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have always found German films hard to watch myself. Not being rude, just not found one that I actually enjoy. (Not many English speaking fims light my fire these days to be honest)

However "Das Boot" is probably the one big exception to this. I really liked that, even though it was more of a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Is Das Boot the one about the Submarine? If so that one is really interesting.

Downfall is good but they speak very fast and are hard to understand.

I found Absolut Giganten good, it's a bit weird but not too hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Wings of Desire - one of the best films of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Is Das Boot the one about the Submarine? If so that one is really interesting.

Downfall is good but they speak very fast and are hard to understand.

I found Absolut Giganten good, it's a bit weird but not too hard to understand.

Yes Das Boot is about a world war two submarine and it's crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

M - a very good 1930s German film if very disturbing. Not one of Hitlers favourites. Most of the crew left for England or America soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Here's a few of my faves that I didn't see listed here

Knocking on Heavens Door
    Anatomie
    Friendship!
    Die Entdeckung der Currywurst
    Das Wilde Leben

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

would suggest looking at Keinohrhasen for a giggle.

I love Til Schweiger (funny, talented and extremely sexy) - but I'm not so sure that his voice the best is to help learn/understand German ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

peasant wrote: »
    This is an actual DDR film ...a love story really. Fairly non-political, but shot in the actual DDR and with DDR actors ...no subtitles though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpPqUfqIEck

I know of no period films (neither east nor west German) that actually looked at the DDR critically or even just described day to day life. DDR film making was heavily controlled, they had to stay within the party line. Western TV/film basically wasn't interested (and there may have been an element of not wanting to upset the tetchy relationship)

Sadly,
    "Die Legende von..."
    This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:
    Discovery Communications
    Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv
    Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv
    Sorry about that.

What was the name of the film? Die Legende von what?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Die Legende von Paul und Paula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

It's a shame Stromberg and turkish fur anfänger don't have subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Just watched Das Leben Der Anderen and I'm absolutely blown away, at first I found myself resenting HGW and as the film progressed I was sympathetic towards him, I found myself heavily involved with the characters and went on an emotional rollercoaster for 2 and a half hours. So glad I finally got around to watching it, can now understand why it's rated so highly. Was even sad to see that Ulrich Mühe(HGW) has since passed away.

The ending couldn't have been more perfect
    how the director was able to convey the relationship between Dreyman and Wiesler without the two ever even meeting was amazing, of course the acting played a big part there too.

Didn't want it to end, just blown away, what a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

We watched that film in an open air Kino here in Karlsruhe.

Ulrich Mühe was in a series called Der Letzte Zeuge (the last(?) witness) which my husband really liked.

The good die young.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

murphaph wrote: »
    Lol, I live on Sonnenallee :D

:D

It's now available on youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Soundsphere

"Lammbock" is a great Film from Wuerzburg. I lived in Wuerzburg before, therefore I really enjoy this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Lots of German Films in the Dublin Jameson International Film Festival!

Advertisement