Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old, Long Forgotten Car Dealers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pmac086

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Who has the old Daag place now? I know Kealys had it for a good while but they moved to Sandyford a couple of years back.

Apologies to Michael for misspelling his surname. Sorry cant say, seem to go through car dealers every few months. loosing track at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

pmac086 wrote: »
    this was all around the time when Paddy Hayes ( of Ford and then Waterford Crystal) sold the Renault Franchise for 1 Punt and Bill opened the showrooms as Diamond cars.

Bill Cullen bought the Renault franchise from the Smith Grp I thought.

BowWow wrote: »
    Bill Cullen bought the Renault franchise from the Smith Grp I thought.

Your not wrong Waterford Crystal owned the Smith Group that had the Renault distribution rights, Paddy Hayes was brought in from Ford after he closed it down and told 1000 people they had no jobs, and he got rid of Renault by giving it to Cullen for a quid ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Type 17 wrote: »

Sad to see it close, amazed with Honda and Hyundai, 2 super franchises.
    Distributors will need to give their dealers a better deal to help them through this recession or else a lot more will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

pmac086 wrote: »
    Sad to see it close, amazed with Honda and Hyundai, 2 super franchises.
    Distributors will need to give their dealers a better deal to help them through this recession or else a lot more will go.

They wouldn't be top franchise's. If Appleyard couldn't manage with Ford it makes it difficult to see how others can survive.

They wouldn't be top franchise's. If Appleyard couldn't manage with Ford it makes it difficult to see how others can survive.

The industry is in a state, mo doubt, lets wish the Spirit Group every success in their takeover of the Appleyard premises , they will continue with the Ford Franchise and similar staff numbers.
    Ford may be considered one of the top but its living on the Focus, would prefer the Hyundai, Audi, Volkswagen, as a group under one roof. Ford will not share !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Which then became George Daag motors I presume?

I can recall George Dagg Motors going back to the early 70's. from memory they were Fiat and Lancia dealers. At that stage they were in Church Place Rathmines.

I can recall George Dagg Motors going back to the early 70's. from memory they were Fiat and Lancia dealers. At that stage they were in Church Place Rathmines.

I was only a chap then but they were Mazda and Peugeot in the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I was only a chap then but they were Mazda and Peugeot in the 90's.
    Correct. Beginning to show my age. The Dagg family were very nice people to deal with. George Snr. and Jnr were absolute gentlemen. Some of the younger members of the family went on to represent Ireland in various sports.

• Advertisement

Correct. Beginning to show my age. The Dagg family were very nice people to deal with. George Snr. and Jnr were absolute gentlemen. Some of the younger members of the family went on to represent Ireland in various sports.

Hockey. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A few pictures of Dublin dealers and garages from the 1960's and 1970's.

1FordGarage.jpg

2Linders.jpg

3SmithfieldMotors.jpg

4MillerMotors.jpg

5FiatFactory1971.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Great pictures - where was Miller Mtrs?

Excellent pics Wishbone.

Have you any more of Smithfield? My father used to work there.

.....and a few Dublin filling stations:

11ClontarfGarage.jpg

12BPGarage.jpg

13DonnellysGarage.jpg

14HarryBriggs.jpg

15MervilleGarage.jpg

16TexacoGarage.jpg

Anyone know where the BP and Texaco stations were?
    Excellent pics Wishbone.

Don't think so but have a look where I got them in Dublin City Library Image Gallery under the Commercial section. Fantastic site but be warned - you may spend hours there.

BowWow wrote: »
    Great pictures - where was Miller Mtrs?
    Jamestown Road, Finglas I think!

Anyone know where the BP and Texaco stations were?
    I've just learned that the BP garage was on the Long Mile Road (1965) and Texaco garage was on the Chapelizod Road (1977).

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Could be wrong but is that the deadmans Inn in Chapelizod before the road beacame a dead end ? If it is then I remember there was a garage there in early 80's that was Austin Rover.. Possibly Fassndige and then Meredith ?

was the BP Garage on the longmile road SMITHS Renault and then PMPA (Vauxhall) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

Remember Linders of Smithfield (Toyota dealers in latter years?) - since moved to Chapelizod.

Also remember Dublin Garages on the Cabra Road (this was previously known as TSA). Was renamed DG Opel. They moved to Ashtown on the Navan Road but think they may have been taken over since.

• Advertisement

Geeze, it does bring back memories, fab pictures thank you to the contributor
    The Linders is particularly interesting, advertising no less then 9 franchises on one billboard, main dealers no less, Peugeot being the newest on the block, at that time the range was the 106, 204, 306, and the infamous 404. I thing Gormans Bros on the maxwell road was the only other Peugeot dealer I knew at the time ( early 80s )
    Look back into the picture at the advertising sign for the cheeses , all I believe are still there today, so much for the 9 marques !!!
    Fab picture, bring em on. I feel we will see a lot more sharing of franchises in the immediate future as definitely with our current climate no one dealer will be able to survive on just the one without distributor support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭mobby

exador wrote: »
    Could be wrong but is that the deadmans Inn in Chapelizod before the road beacame a dead end ? If it is then I remember there was a garage there in early 80's that was Austin Rover.. Possibly Fassndige and then Meredith ?

was the BP Garage on the longmile road SMITHS Renault and then PMPA (Vauxhall) ?

Nearly sure that is the old N4 at what is now the Fox hunter Pub, heading into Lucan Village. The garage is more our less still there as a 24hr Service Station.

mobby wrote: »
    Nearly sure that is the old N4 at what is now the Fox hunter Pub, heading into Lucan Village. The garage is more our less still there as a 24hr Service Station.

Ye ...when I look at it now I think you are right. I was thinking of the old road in Palmerstown Village that was closes off..What year was th photo taken? I would guess mid 70's by the cars...76?

..What year was th photo taken? I would guess mid 70's by the cars...76?

close ...The BP on the Longmile Road looks like the building before White Bishop now Frank Keane totally redeveloped it. It was the old SAAB building ? It looks like the original building structure..noy sure what it was back in 65 but it looks very like the Building that SAAB used in mid 80s

.....and a few Dublin filling stations:

11ClontarfGarage.jpg

12BPGarage.jpg

13DonnellysGarage.jpg

14HarryBriggs.jpg

15MervilleGarage.jpg

16TexacoGarage.jpg

Is the FORD GarageWaldens Parnell street? The shell garage looks like one in Greystones ?

Excellent pics Wishbone.

Benburb Street or Kylemore Road?

Is the FORD GarageWaldens Parnell street? The shell garage looks like one in Greystones ?
    Yes - Waldens. Don't know where the Shell one is.

Benburb Street or Kylemore Road?

Both. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

The view of the Long Mile is at the junction with Walkinstown Avenue looking in the direction of Clondalkin. The BP garage is where Mooneys is now and the building in centre shot was Ruston Bucyrus, they sold excavators if I'm not mistaken. The site is now Frank Keane Volkswagen, but the building in the picture was there until relatively recently. It was Saab Ireland for a while, then sold to White Bishop Cars. The building to the left of it was the premises of Vigzol, they sold oil, wonder whatever happened to them? Here's a shot of the same junction looking towards the city, with a Consul Classic 375 bombing towards town. Wonder where BLI 777 is now ?? And check out the "footpaths" compared to the present day.

Advertisement