Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Alcoholic Beer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

If there was a non-alcoholic lager on draught- would there be a demand/market for it? Will admit to having an interest in the response to this as company I work for has an option to import a Spanish non-alcoholic lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

toffeeshel wrote: »
    If there was a non-alcoholic lager on draught- would there be a demand/market for it?

Yes and No. Yes there would be in certain places. In my experience a minimum of about 40-50 litres per week would be enough to justify the line.

You have to account for installation and maintenance(cleaning) of the line which can be the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

The technical side of it isn't an issue as we are already bringing in the regular beer ( its San Miguel ). I thought recently that there is a gap in the market for non-alcoholic draught and by co-incidence this thread was bumped. I am very interested in peoples opinion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

toffeeshel wrote: »
    The technical side of it isn't an issue as we are already bringing in the regular beer ( its San Miguel ). I thought recently that there is a gap in the market for non-alcoholic draught and by co-incidence this thread was bumped. I am very interested in peoples opinion on this.

I would hold off on the draught non alcaholic for a while because I honestly can't see regular San Miguel being regulars success here. People have known about it and been drinking it on holidays for decades and you get the feeling if there was any real demand for it it would be long established. I've never known anyone to hold it in any real affinity, and people always come back from holidays raving about the beer they were drinking. Just not from Spain!

Sorry if this annoys you, but I would imagine introducing the n/a version on draught at the same time could leave you would leave you with two white elephants instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grauver

grauver wrote: »
    becks small bottles erdinger 33 ml and pauloner 50 ml only seem available
    no cans at all drinks industry here are powerfull are they blocking giants like tesco and dunnes from selling non alc cans?
    i still ask why no alcohol free cans here why not there would be maybe a 5% market for a variety of reasons why people will try them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why would you want to drink non-alcoholic beer?

If staying off the drink, I would much rather drink a soft drink than a beer, much better tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grauver

i still ask why no alcohol free cans here why not there would be maybe a 5% market for a variety of reasons why people will try them
    as i think theres a market for it here the reason s for that
    think about it first,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

i still ask why no alcohol free cans here why not
    What would be the advantage over bottles?
    there would be maybe a 5% market
    Last I read, the low/no-alcohol segment represented 1% of Ireland's beer market. You reckon cans would quintuple that?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

NIMAN wrote: »

If staying off the drink, I would much rather drink a soft drink than a beer, much better tasting.

It's been mentioned before but some people in this country make a big fuss if you usually drink with them and then on a particular night are staying off the drink for a match or something. I know I should be a mature adult and not be worried about peer pressure but sometimes it can be just easier to drink non-alcoholic beer instead of soft drinks and having to explain to people every five minutes why you aren't drinking. Add in the fact you're staying off the drink for the sake of Junior D hurling and you get alot of people trying to insist on you having "just a couple of pints" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

NIMAN wrote: »

feck.

You obviously havent tried to drink coke or the likes for a full evening in the pub.
    The first few sips are grand, but after a few hours you can even feel your teeth progressively get covered in more and more plaque and your palette is just overwhelmed with sugar. Not a nice experience.

Alcohol free weissbier is a far better drink to be drinking for a longer period than sugary minerals.
    In my opinion alcohol free lager just isnt the best, but with a little skite of lemonade it becomes a very driver (and lent) friendly shandy and again far easier to drink on a long evening or wedding or the likes than being bombarded with litres of liquid sugar..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

baltika 0 is about the best ive had... all the lagers are rubberbandy enough . after that erdinger/paulerner. I like to have a n/a beer if driving as coke/7up make you feel worse and cost more pound for pound, wouldnt drink n/a on draught though as who knows how long it would be sitting there. they hand out erdinger n/a at the munich marathon as an isotonic drink. lucazade aint got into bavaria yet i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

they hand out erdinger n/a at the munich marathon as an isotonic drink.

And here to an extent. Only a few events so far but next year Erdinger are sending over the big Finish line setup and a pop up bar so finishers will get a bottle of 330ml and anybody watching can have an alcoholic drink. :D

We're making baby steps to try to match up to the Continental approach to the events where people are a little more open minded because 99% of the entrants know the product. It's like if Guinness sponsored an Irish event with a Non Alco Guinness. Everybody would know it so Erdinger are trying to play catch up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I drink non alcoholic beer in the pub I work in, when I'm driving that night, after hours. They have 3 kinda. Becks, Paulaner and Erdinger. Erdinger AF is VILE, but I find the other two fine.

Sometimes people ask, "uuuuhh why bother drinking non alcoholic beer, what a waste of money". Depending on my respect for the person, I'll tell them either that I like the taste of beer and have the car with me, or tell them to mind their own damn business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

+1 for Erdinger. I wouldn't be bothered with non alcoholic beer generally. Sent a buddy to the offo to pick me up some beer and he picked it up by accident. Was a bit annoyed at the time but it i enjoyed them with my lunch during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Pardon dp but my phone sucks so no edit button.

Can understand why people don't like soft drinks. After a couple it's sugar overload. It's easier drink large quantities of diet soda (i used drink a good litre every day) but aspartane is really hard on the digestive system in the long term i had to ditch it.

Advertisement