Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Live - RTPI iPhone App

Options
  • 18-03-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

As I frequently do on hangover days, I got hacking around with RTPI today, and have knocked together an iPhone Webapp (that also looks good in Webkit desktop browsers - Chrome & Safari). Of course, data is limited right now, and I'm still working out details of how to best locate your nearest stops, but for now, please go ahead and try it out, let me know what you think, and give me any (constructive) feedback you can think off. As it's a webapp, it's free, and will work in some form on most devices. My goal is probably to make it into a native app - much more user friendly - and charge a nominal sum for it.

You can see it (and bookmark it) here: http://www.DublinBusLive.com/

db1.jpgdb2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Nice one mate you actually beat me to it or my brother to it. I have told him to make something like this as there's a need for one. when its completed ill be downloading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

What am I doing wrong? It won't let me put in a stop ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Will this work on the nokia n97 mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Tarabuses wrote: »
    What am I doing wrong? It won't let me put in a stop ID.
    You have to tap on the right hand side of the field to input. Working on solving this.
    Will this work on the nokia n97 mini?
    No reason why it won't in a basic form - some of the navigation elements are pretty colours are webkit-only though. Try it out, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

It's a real shame that the RTPI does not have any API facilitation for developers - there seems to be no way to get the list of stops for a route as each page of stops is called via javascript rather than loading a new page. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

You should make it work in Irish too for those of us who can't speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dynamick wrote: »

LOL, and charge a fortune for it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Hitting Enter doesn't seem to work on an Android browser. A 'go' button would probably fix it.

Also the numbers listed on the stops themselves are 4 digit. The RTPI website seems to have added a 0 at the start of every number to make it 5 digit, and it doesn't seem to work without this. Maybe you could add this automatically?

Nice work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ck_303

Obviously a little rough and ready given the current limitations of the system but this is still outstanding work.

A real case of technology improving people's lives.

Got a thrill when a 128 bus appeared around the corner, just as predicted!

Can't wait for the native iPhone app.

snappieT wrote: »
    You have to tap on the right hand side of the field to input. Working on solving this.

Thanks, that's working now. A great tool to have at the bus stop.

• Advertisement

dynamick wrote: »
    Absolutely not, can't think of a bigger waste of my time. Stop names and destinations aren't given on RTPI, and I'm certainly not going to translate the
    Breezer wrote: »
    Hitting Enter doesn't seem to work on an Android browser. A 'go' button would probably fix it.

Also the numbers listed on the stops themselves are 4 digit. The RTPI website seems to have added a 0 at the start of every number to make it 5 digit, and it doesn't seem to work without this. Maybe you could add this automatically?

Nice work ;)
    Will do, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

I just tried this out on my WP7 phone (Samsung Omnia 7), it's great stuff, well done! Just a few small issues that you might be able to figure out:

When I click to enter the Stop ID, the number I type appears at the top of the box and not inline with the 'Stop ID' text.

When I enter a stop ID that doesn't exist, the top line is completely messed up. The text 'No data available', 'Dublin Bus Live' and something else are all on the first line so none of them are readable.

When I enter a stop ID that does exist, the top line is messed up again with the top line containing both the first result and the text 'Search' and 'Dublin Bus Live' on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hecmail

I couldn't get it to work with any of the IDs I tried. Really nice idea though.

It'd be great to see it expanded to include routes or to use a phones GPS, or IP address.

Is there a link to the full website, or is the RTPI link on your site where all the live info you use is retrieved?

markpb wrote: »
    I just tried this out on my WP7 phone (Samsung Omnia 7), it's great stuff, well done! Just a few small issues that you might be able to figure out:

When I click to enter the Stop ID, the number I type appears at the top of the box and not inline with the 'Stop ID' text.

When I enter a stop ID that doesn't exist, the top line is completely messed up. The text 'No data available', 'Dublin Bus Live' and something else are all on the first line so none of them are readable.

When I enter a stop ID that does exist, the top line is messed up again with the top line containing both the first result and the text 'Search' and 'Dublin Bus Live' on top of each other.
    This is almost expected. This is an iPhone-oriented webapp, it works on any webkit-based browser. Your WP7 uses IE, which doesn't support the CSS used by the framework I built the app on. It's still usable for you though, yes? Just not visually perfect?
    hecmail wrote: »
    I couldn't get it to work with any of the IDs I tried. Really nice idea though.

It'd be great to see it expanded to include routes or to use a phones GPS, or IP address.

Is there a link to the full website, or is the RTPI link on your site where all the live info you use is retrieved?
    Not all IDs work, there's a test link on the home screen if you want to try that. I had an issue with leading zeros that's now resolved, so go ahead and try again. The link on the site (http://www.rtpi.ie) is where all the data comes from. I'm also interested in using the GPS, but there are some potential legal issues I could run into, then again feck it, I might just go for it!

This is almost expected. This is an iPhone-oriented webapp, it works on any webkit-based browser. Your WP7 uses IE, which doesn't support the CSS used by the framework I built the app on. It's still usable for you though, yes? Just not visually perfect?

I figured that. Hopefully when IE9 makes it to WP7 later this year things will improve In the meantime the site is more or less useable. You can't read most of the errors and you can't see the next bus at your stop but they're not exactly showstoppers :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Absolutely not, can't think of a bigger waste of my time. Stop names and destinations aren't given on RTPI, and I'm certainly not going to translate the

Methinks your sarcasm detector isn't tuned enough to the idiocy we had on this forum over RTPI as gaelige. Probably just as well!

Any further developments with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I notice that a 4 digit number plate has been attached onto bus stops - also has the number in brail.

I wonder is this so people can input the number into an app or an online interface?

BrianD wrote: »
    I notice that a 4 digit number plate has been attached onto bus stops - also has the number in brail.

I wonder is this so people can input the number into an app or an online interface?

Yes, into this demo site and, in future into a text message or smartphone app. For the moment, the site only works if the bus stop already has an installed and functioning real time display but I presume it will eventually work for all stop.s

works on even basic phones with web access e.g, Nokia 6300. Just type in http://www.rpti.ie/text/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

markpb wrote: »
    Yes, into this demo site and, in future into a text message or smartphone app. For the moment, the site only works if the bus stop already has an installed and functioning real time display but I presume it will eventually work for all stop.s

Actually it works with any site that has the pole installed; a functioning display is not necessary.

kc56 wrote: »
    Actually it works with any site that has the pole installed; a functioning display is not necessary.

When will all sites be active?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kc56 wrote: »

It seems to only be active for bus stops which will actually be getting poles.

Which makes me worried that they won't rollout to all stops or that it will take a long time to get to other stops.

Which makes no sense at all, because surely the stops that won't have screens, are the ones that need the website the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

bk wrote: »
    It seems to only be active for bus stops which will actually be getting poles.

Which makes me worried that they won't rollout to all stops or that it will take a long time to get to other stops.

Which makes no sense at all, because surely the stops that won't have screens, are the ones that need the website the most.

From the http://www.transportforireland.ie/future-plans web site:
    SMS text service

Web and text messaging services are scheduled to be available in 2011. These services will cover all 5,000 bus stops served by Dublin Bus. You will then be able to access real time bus arrival information from your phone and the internet for every Dublin Bus stop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for the info kc56, but I'm inpatient and what to be able to do it today :D

I already use my phone to check stops in the city center that have poles but not signs yet. I can't wait for my local stop to also have it, it is so convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Does anybody know who developed the RTPI site?

I'd like to have a word with them about properly attributing the use of OpenStreetMap.

Speaking of maps ... one thing I noticed (that I haven't on other maps) is that the borders of the postal districts are marked in. Some of them really meander!

It seems that the web service only works for the stops getting displays. The stop outside my house has a constant "No departures found".

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

The map base the RTPI are using (unattributed, which is a bit of a no-no) is from www.openstreetmap.org, which is a free, open-source map of the world.

One user has spent a couple of weeks putting the postal district boundaries onto the map, and fair play to him.

You can edit/update the map yourself (no copying from copyrighted data sources mind - that includes Ordnance Survey and Google Maps). If you have any questions just ask - there are a number of boardsies like myself who have been involved in the project for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Used the webapp last night and it worked great. Pity the RTPI system didn't tho. Said I had 16 mins till my next bus, but when I got to the bus stop 6 mins later and the bus had already gone (and was gone off the system). Next bus was due in 15 mins but it arrived 9 mins later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Your 'missing' bus might have been 'regulated' away. If you're close to a terminus I think the system works from the scheduled departure time. It might only realise that there is no bus after the scheduled time and then remove if from the system. I try and check the stops closest to the terminus and closest to me (which have departure info). While walking down to the bus stop I might check again if the bus 'moves'.

Sometimes the bus also disappears off the system for a short while only to be showing up after a minute - bad reception between bus and central unit?

The calculated running times can be wrong too. For example the 4 southbound is calculated slower than the 7 although the 4 moves generally quicker.

You can also give feedback about the new system on http://www.transportforireland.ie/

Advertisement