Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch: what they don't tell you in their ads

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Dionysus wrote: »
    Interesting you mentioned a dog as one of the gardaí said to us that there is a machine/device of some sort that you can buy which amounts to a dog barking and that this is one of the best methods for deterring robbers.

Anybody know anything more about the device they were referring to?

Never heard of it but I'm going to look into it.
    Brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've been saying for a long time that they are useless.
    The best case scenario is that it alerts you to the fact you've been broken into sooner than you would otherwise know, and what good is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Next morning, an Eircom engineer came out and confirmed that we did actually set the alarm but ...

He's not an engineer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i can believe every word , slightly off topic but same chancers ( eircom)
    had them at my door try to get me 2 sign up for broadband ( for the 50th time )
    the guy started his spiel , and straight away i was smelling a rat big time , started quoting mental speeds that I KNOW the local exchange does not support ( im a IT engineer with knowledge of this exchange )
    he also started to quote prices for the first twelve months , and i asked what happens after ?? the F*****G spoofing little P****K started making up **** as he went along
    i knew he was being a knob ( he promised if i closed the account on the last day of the 12 months i can re apply next day and get the intro offer )
    but in fact you cant and it would have cost a fortune :eek:
    so i pulled him up on all the points and he started getting all " ahh eh eh well this and eh "
    before i ran him i pointed out all his lies and he just went red and literally
    burst into tears

not so bad for me i know how to deal with chancers like this but what if it was some elderly couple or some one vulnerable ,
    so yes i belive your story because eircom are a bunch of chancers themselves , could not belive what this guy was trying 2 pull :mad:
    Nope, I can't think of a word that fits in the bold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i can believe every word , slightly off topic but same chancers ( eircom)
    had them at my door try to get me 2 sign up for broadband ( for the 50th time )
    the guy started his spiel , and straight away i was smelling a rat big time , started quoting mental speeds that I KNOW the local exchange does not support ( im a IT engineer with knowledge of this exchange )
    he also started to quote prices for the first twelve months , and i asked what happens after ?? the F*****G spoofing little P****K started making up **** as he went along
    i knew he was being a knob ( he promised if i closed the account on the last day of the 12 months i cacn re apply next day and get the intro offer )
    but in fact you cant and it would have cost a fortune :eek:
    so i pulled him up on all the points and he started getting all " ahh eh eh well this and eh "
    before i ran him i pointed out all his lies and he just went red and literally
    burst into tears

not so bad for me i know how to deal with chancers like this but what if it was some elderly couple or some one vulnerable ,
    so yes i belive your story because eircom are a bunch of chancers themselves , could not belive what this guy was trying 2 pull :mad:

from your post you sound like an awkard prick....

you do know this lad works on commission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

flas wrote: »
    from your post you sound like an awkard prick....

you do know this lad works on commission

So it's ok to blatantly lie about the product you are selling because you are on commission? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

squod wrote: »
    Where abouts are you can I ask?

Of course that would be useful. Sunny Dublin 8

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Cutting the landline does not disable an alarm. Most have a radio digis which can send a radio signal to monitoring station to alert them that landline has been cut. Removing the cover from the bell box activates or at least it should activate a tamper alarm and this should also be picked up by monitoring station. That said the Eircom system must be ****e if it can be so easily overidden. I worked for Top Security many moons ago and these guys were streets ahead of the current Eircom phone watch system and that was back in the 90s. They were in fact one of the biggest monotoring companies in Europe and in most circumstances patrol drivers would attend your alarm hours before the Gardai and unlike Eircom are still an Irish owned company. So fuck Eircom and their ****ty system just get someone else to monitor your alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I worked in security and eircom imo are sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Spunge wrote: »
    rob those fúckers dry.

Homeowners:confused:

If this weren't true, then the ESB would have no customers left. But they do.

Up until very recently the ESB have had their prices set for them, harldy their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MT3

:confused:

Do you watch TV at all?

Bord Gais, the Big Switch?
    Airtricity?
    That's your electrickery sorted.
    Absurdum wrote: »
    Are you seriously telling us you haven't seen those annoying ads with that Lucy one for the last couple of years with her ten percent off jingle? And you haven't heard of Eirtricity and their dubious clean leccy claims?

I haven't had a TV in about 10 years! Clearly I'm missing out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

We *definitely* did not have a sound like that; if we had, we would have been sufficiently bothered to pay attention. We did, however, get the recorded "System Arming" sound each time we typed in the code and left, leaving the house with a false sense of security it now transpires.

I believe the beeping sound happens when the line is dead. However original post mentioned Broadband was working but could not make calls.
    So the line was not dead... just an outbound dialling issue - therefore no warning beeps on the alarm panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

eircom sales reps are total and utter liars

also the company itself is complete and utter ****

i hope they die

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

The irony in this thread is that Eircom have been robbing you for years. I only cancelled my contract with them a few days ago. Shower of c*nts. Never want the misfortune of dealing with their God awful customer support and shoddy service. I'd rather have a mouse watch the house than eircom phonewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Very sorry to hear your house was broken into OP.
    I know it's not an AH answer but it's shít that it happened.

By the way......Phone watch is pure dung

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

major bill wrote: »
    I worked in security and eircom imo are sh1te.

I worked in security yrs ago too...early 90s...when eircom surfaced..I can remember my employer being invited to along with a number of other members of the security federation then..cant remmy the exact name..to try and break into an eircom monitored house ....all the invitees were in the house 15 mins or so before the alarm triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

I went to the local Garda station before installing home security and asked about monitored alarm verses CCTV. They said with a monitored alarm, they do sometimes get a call but don't always have someone available to investigate. It could be 15-30 minutes at best or even a few hours or more depending on resources.

To comfort me though, they said that the alarm noise may annoy the robbers enough to leave before taking too much... Not too much comfort!

With CCTV, they said there was a good chance of getting my stuff back.

I've installed CCTV at my house with wireless offsite hard disk backup image storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> Home security systems

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Lets see how this runs here. Please bear in mind its no longer AH . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭altor

The alarm system should be sending a test call to the monitoring station. When they dont receive it they should contact you. With the alarm system monitoring the line it is only looking for the voltage on the line, so if there is a fault at Eircoms end providing the phone line you wont know about it till the test call does not go through to the monitoring station. The alarm will not show a fault as it can still see the voltage on the line. Only when its cut you will get the fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Some12 wrote: »
    I went to the local Garda station before installing home security and asked about monitored alarm verses CCTV. They said with a monitored alarm, they do sometimes get a call but don't always have someone available to investigate. It could be 15-30 minutes at best or even a few hours or more depending on resources.

To comfort me though, they said that the alarm noise may annoy the robbers enough to leave before taking too much... Not too much comfort!

With CCTV, they said there was a good chance of getting my stuff back.

I've installed CCTV at my house with wireless offsite hard disk backup image storage.

The best answer i ever heard to get a speedy response from the guards if you have intruder in home or trying to break in and you know they will be slow to respond is to say I have a shot gun loaded ready for use....

Advertisement