Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowel Cancer Seminar, April 2nd in Dublin - all welcome

Options
  • 16-03-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi folks,

the Irish Cancer Society will hold its annual Bowel Cancer Seminar on April 2nd, 2011 in the Alexander Hotel, Dublin 2.

The aim of the seminar is to support, reassure and provide factual advice to those affected by the disease. A wide range of relevant topics will be covered including: bowel cancer services, diet & bowel cancer, sexuality, rectal cancer treatment and life after bowel cancer treatment.

This event is free of charge to attend but pre-registration is essential.

Please see http://www.cancer.ie/news/upcomingDe...php?ID=575?bie for full details and how to register.

If you are concerned about any aspect of any cancer please call the National Cancer Helpline on 1800 200 700 (Mon-Thurs 9-7, Friday 9-5 or see www.cancer.ie/CancerInfo

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

It is important to know the symptoms of this - one of my best friends died from this and they were only 40. Glad that it is being promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IrishCancerSoc

Thanks Cathy.

You're absolutely right so here are some signs and symptoms of bowel cancer:
    • A change in your normal bowel motion, such as diarrhoea or constipation.
    • Feeling you have not emptied your bowel fully after a motion.
    • Pain or discomfort in your abdomen (tummy) or back passage.
    • Trapped wind or fullness in your tummy.
    • Weight loss.
    • Feeling tired and breathless (due to anaemia from blood loss).
    • Rectal bleeding or blood in stools.
    • A lump in your tummy area.

Read more at http://www.cancer.ie/cancerInfo/colon_cancer_worried.php#bowelcancersymptoms

If you are concerned about any aspect of any cancer please call the National Cancer Helpline on 1800 200 700 (Mon-Thurs 9-7, Friday 9-5 or see www.cancer.ie/CancerInfo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am a 4 year survior of oesophageal cancer (was 32 when I was diagnosed) - have been into the helpline so many times - you do a great job. People need to realise that anyone can be affected with cancer and you owe it to yourself to know the symtoms...bowel cancer is ashamedly not talked about enough - my husband is at increased risk due to other medical conditions and gets checked out on a regular basis but my friend had no other predisposing conditions.

Advertisement