Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest for a Six Pack...No Not A Six Pack of Beer

Options
  • 16-03-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have recently decided to put together a list of things I’d like to achieve before I’m 30. As I’m only 23(well in a week I’m 23 that is) I think I’m giving myself a lot of time to achieve these goals. :D

* Getting a Six Pack

I have done a few Google searches and found a lot of different stuff and a lot of stuff that contradicts other things, so I would greatly appreciate any guidance in this quest.

Details as follows:
    Height 5 11"
    Weight 86 kg (Appox)

I know that in order to achieve my goal I will first need to lose a little weight, but I am really here looking for exercises that may help in achieving my 6 pack goal.

I have heard of "the plank", "crunches" and "sit ups" are what I should be doing.

But what order to I do these in?
    How many do I do in a set?
    Is there any other exercises?
    How often do I do these a day/week?

Cheers to all in advance for any help you may be able to offer me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

What sort of shape are you in at the moment OP ?
    Gaining a six pack is going to be as much about diet as it is about exercise.
    Do you do any weight training or other exercising at the moment ?
    How is your diet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

will56 wrote: »
    What sort of shape are you in at the moment OP ?
    Gaining a six pack is going to be as much about diet as it is about exercise.
    Do you do any weight training or other exercising at the moment ?
    How is your diet ?

Well at the moment I am carrying a bit of extra weight, and it all seems to be on my stomach...like I have a bit of a belly(nothing too bad mind you, but still a bit of a belly)

I am currently out of training as I’ve been moving around the last few weeks, but there is a park nearby were I can go jogging, and there is a gym nearby(but can't afford to join at the moment as I’m without a job :()

My diet is grand, could be a lot better.

Breakfast - Wheatabix or scrambled egg.

Dinner - Chicken Stir Fry/Curries (both with a lot of vegtable) or else something with mince like spaghetti bolnagnese. All served with rice or spaghetti.

Drink low fat milk and water.

Snack on fruit or yoghurts.

But I have fallen back into drinking coke over the past few weeks and eating the occasional chocolate bar :mad:

What do you eat between breakfast and dinner ?
    If you can't afford the gym then using the park for carido is a good idea.
    I would also start doing bodyweight exercises, push ups, squats, pull ups etc.
    The only way to see a six pack is to remove the fat covering the muscle.

Going back to the orignal post and your questions on exercises, Plank crunches and sit ups all have their place in developing stronger "core" muscles, but it would give greater results if you increased your overall muscle mass and didn't just focus on "Abs"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

one piece of advice I read here first and have seen echoed many many times elsewhere - "A 6 pack is made in the kitchen"

getting your diet right is number one I would say - body fat below 10% - in fairness a search here will find you and absolute wealth of info.

What do you eat between breakfast and dinner ?
    If you can't afford the gym then using the park for carido is a good idea.
    I would also start doing bodyweight exercises, push ups, squats, pull ups etc.
    The only way to see a six pack is to remove the fat covering the muscle.

Going back to the orignal post and your questions on exercises, Plank crunches and sit ups all have their place in developing stronger "core" muscles, but it would give greater results if you increased your overall muscle mass and didn't just focus on "Abs"

Cheers could you maybe suggest a good site which I could use to put together a good workout program, a program that would help with gaining gather muscle mass all over my body?

I tend to maybe have a few cups of Tea and/or Chocolate, Fruit...Just depends what is in the presses like
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    one piece of advice I read here first and have seen echoed many many times elsewhere - "A 6 pack is made in the kitchen"

getting your diet right is number one I would say - body fat below 10% - in fairness a search here will find you and absolute wealth of info.

Hey Rob, sorry for not doing a search, but I couldn't find the search box on the site...site hadn't fully loaded, I’m on the net on one of those mobile USB internet things, and they are awful.

So it’s all about diet?

So will I try and cut my calorie intake, and focus on protein?

• Advertisement

I actually don't think your diet has enough calories in it as it is.
    Well not enough good calories.
    Can you write out what you have on a typical day, yesterday for example.
    You don't need a huge reduction in calories to lose body fat. I drop a bit coming up my holidays and it usually take a small tweak of the diet rather than taking a huge chunk out of it.
    If you starve your body of calories its going to told onto fat and possibly consume muscle to conserve energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

busyliving wrote: »
    Hey Rob, sorry for not doing a search, but I couldn't find the search box on the site...site hadn't fully loaded, I’m on the net on one of those mobile USB internet things, and they are awful.

I wasn't chastising you for not searching - sorry if it came across like that. I was merely pointing out there is a wealth of info on here. This question is asked so often I imagine a lot of regulars might not even bother to read it I'm afraid.

As pointed out to me before - you already have a six pack, you can probably feel them, it's a matter of getting the layer of fat covering them off.

Again - there is loads of info on here - most of it will tell you building muscle burns fat ( all over your body ).
    Create a moderate calorific deficit and work from there. Try www.fitday.com to help with this.

I actually don't think your diet has enough calories in it as it is.
    Well not enough good calories.
    Can you write out what you have on a typical day, yesterday for example.
    You don't need a huge reduction in calories to lose body fat. I drop a bit coming up my holidays and it usually take a small tweak of the diet rather than taking a huge chunk out of it.
    If you starve your body of calories its going to told onto fat and possibly consume muscle to conserve energy.

Ok mate

Breakfast:
    Wheatabix x3 with low fat milk

Dinner:
    Thai Red Curry, Chicken with Rice, not a take away my house mate cook it for dinner(his day of the week to cook:D)

Also had a few lollipops and drank some coke :(

But i didn't do much all day in the way of exercise, stayed in all day applying for work, playing xBox(housemate just purchased it today:D) well went for a walk to the shops like 20 minutes max walking.

Its not like i'm straving myself, i don't let myself go hungry like...which in itself could be my problem:p

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I wasn't chastising you for not searching - sorry if it came across like that. I was merely pointing out there is a wealth of info on here. This question is asked so often I imagine a lot of regulars might not even bother to read it I'm afraid.

As pointed out to me before - you already have a six pack, you can probably feel them, it's a matter of getting the layer of fat covering them off.

Again - there is loads of info on here - most of it will tell you building muscle burns fat ( all over your body ).
    Create a moderate calorific deficit and work from there. Try www.fitday.com to help with this.

Ah sorry mate, you didn't come across like that at all, i'll do a search and see what i can turn up

Cheers for the advice and the link:D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

is fitday anygood, i have a smiliar thing on my phone but it isnt great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

guys that are in great shape are doing all the things you are NOT currently doing i.e. hitting the weights hard, sorting their diet out (no excuses) and being consistent.

Overall i couldnt give a fig about having a six pack because when you focus your training on -

A) get brutally strong
    B) Hit some metcons/intervals
    C) eat for the body you want
    D) people that are in great shape are thinking more about getting back into the gym than getting back on the xbox.

All the best but you have a long way to go so just start with the basics like body weight exercises and sort your diet out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For the record OP, there is nothing wrong with eating some chocolate occasionally or a bottle of coke, don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

To get a 6-pack or even get into great shape you do not need to adhere to an incredibly strict guideline on what you can and cannot eat.
    Yes you should eat healthy with a good amount of calories and proteins, but this does not mean you have to cut out chocolate etc completely.

You are allowed to treat yourself so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

What do you make of this article people?

http://www.joe.ie/health-fitness/mens-health/johnny-oconnor-forget-sit-ups-get-a-six-pack-the-right-way-0010605-1
    What you are trying to do is exercises that are going to resist motion, common exercises like planks and side planks are good, but there are endless exercises that you can do, such as a pallof press or a suit case carry; basically what you’re trying to do is hold your spine in place and add resistance to it. The best thing about these sorts of exercises is that your body naturally does what you want it to do.

I would go as far to say that if you are working with a personal trainer in the gym and he/she suggests doing crunches to work the abdominal area, then you should walk away. It might sound like I’m going against the grain and against accepted wisdom by saying that sit-ups are counterproductive, but it’s just a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Do you want to get stronger and bigger in general? Or do you specifically just want a 6 pack? You could just diet your way to it, but then you'll simply be skinny with a 6 pack. So it really depends on what your goals are and what kind of physique you're after.

G86 wrote: »
    Do you want to get stronger and bigger in general? Or do you specifically just want a 6 pack? You could just diet your way to it, but then you'll simply be skinny with a 6 pack. So it really depends on what your goals are and what kind of physique you're after.

I'd like to get stronger in general, and have a six pack. I was looking around online, and through this forum and I think I’ve come up with an at home starter program to get me on my way.

I'll post it up later and I’d appreciate any feedback ye can offer

Dan133269 wrote: »

A mate was told this years ago, by a mate and a doctor:(

But only decided to tell me now, after i asked him for help in my six pack quest the other day...

I'd like to get stronger in general, and have a six pack. I was looking around online,

Hanleys definitely your man for advice on that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hanleys definitely your man for advice on that one.

1) Compete in Powerlifting for 5 years, get REALLY f*cking strong and good at it.
    2) Eat your way up to 110kg from 86kg and forget about bodyfat
    3) Do a few cutting cycles in the interim, total of 6-8 weeks of the year to not get TOO fat
    4) Do 2 proper 6 week hardcore cuts to get proper lean very couple of years
    5) Quit powerlifting, train BJJ and MMA for 10 weeks, try to do as much conditioning as humanly possible on that
    6) SORTED

I’ve never really specifically trained for a six pack except as noted above. And I’ve NEVER done ab exercises with the intention of bringing my abs up. I’ve always trained for performance. Probably something of note to take away there :P

That’s as much ‘real world’ help as I can be. Everyone else knows the theory behind it and can tell ya.

There's quicker ways to get there, but that's been my road!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hanley wrote: »
    1) Compete in Powerlifting for 5 years, get REALLY f*cking strong and good at it.
    3) Do a few cutting cycles in the interim, total of 6-8 weeks of the year to not get TOO fat
    5) Quit powerlifting, train BJJ and MMA for 10 weeks, try to do as much conditioning as humanly possible on that
    6) SORTED

I’ve never really specifically trained for a six pack except as noted above. And I’ve NEVER done ab exercises with the intention of bringing my abs up. I’ve always trained for performance. Probably something of note to take away there :P

That’s as much ‘real world’ help as I can be. Everyone else knows the theory behind it and can tell ya.

A six pack in 6 easy steps? Where can I sign up and do you accept credit cards?

6) SORTED

Isn't that a very extreme method no?

I am pretty happy with my size now, just need to tone up a few parts and a mass to my arms really.

Bulking up to over 100kg is a bit too much for me.

So you say ther's a quicker way ah?

I'm with Sangre...where can i sign up?:D

• Advertisement

I am pretty happy with my size now, just need to tone up a few parts and a mass to my arms really.

He's taking the piss....

I think basically what he's saying is - get stronger and bigger, forget about the fat until you do, and then diet down to your 6 pack. How you do so is up to you... but spending 5 years competing in powerlifting might not be the easiest way to go about it!:pac:

He's taking the piss....

I think basically what he's saying is - get stronger and bigger, forget about the fat until you do, and then diet down to your 6 pack. How you do so is up to you... but spending 5 years competing in powerlifting might not be the easiest way to go about it!:pac:

When he mentioned powerlifting i thought he meant powerlift training

If you're looking for a six pack, yes, it is. But as I said - none of that training was ever done with that intention. I just happened to end up with one after it all...

'Toning up' = losing fat. So you'll need to diet to get there.

Going up to over 100kg would be pointless - I was carrying a lot of muscle at that weight and my physical frame size is pretty big.

Quicker way is just to get stronger, eat good quality food and do some cardio. Consistency and discipline are the key.
    He's taking the piss....

I wasn't really saying anything... but if I was, that'd be pretty much it.
    When he mentioned powerlifting i thought he meant powerlift training

When I said 'compete in powerlifting for 5 years' that's what I meant. What do you mean by 'powerlift training'?

Sangre wrote: »
    A six pack in 6 easy steps? Where can I sign up and do you accept credit cards?

I'll be a certified PT w/ insurance by the middle of April. I'm going to sell out then. I'll set up a paypal and take everyones credit cardzz.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

This is probably a stupid question, but how long do you think it would take to notice results. I know it's different for everyone, and everyones a different size and does different work outs etc, but I mean in general.

Would it be months or years before you notice it coming along? I'm around 12 stone, probably about a stone overweight, but it's not that noticeable although I have a bit of a beer belly. I'm younger so maybe I have time on my side, but again it doesn't get any easier as in the last few months I've quit football and barely being doing much at all, coupled wit mediocre diet and drinking it's easy to see why I've put on a few pounds.

I've started a small bit of running and weights lately just to get going, suppose it's about starting small and building it up to more overtime and consistency.

Also is jogging/running something that would help a good bit or is it other exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'll be a certified PT w/ insurance by the middle of April. I'm going to sell out then. I'll set up a paypal and take everyones credit cardzz.
    Will you be doing that full time?

Sangre wrote: »
    Will you be doing that full time?

Not yet anyway... I've like 1 year left on my accounting training contract to get thru. This is just for some light at the end of the tunnel. I'd like to pick up some clients and find somewhere to operate out of ASAP so I'm not coming at it cold tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 batmanandrobin

best advice i ever got for getting into that kinda shape:

food: if it wasnt around 1000 years ago dont eat it
    food goes bad so if it has an expiry date of more than 3 days dont eat it
    if you cant pronounce the ingredients dont eat it

training: change your weights programme every 6 weeks
    use metabolic finishers at the end of your workout
    train early in the day to get the most out of it

If you dont pack on some serious muscle and cut some serious body fat with that advice get yourself to the doctor cos you're not well! It is pretty hard core but if you wanna get ripped you gotta put in the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Keep it simple to begin with also - get working on basic body weight movements, stretch wayy more, foam roll lots and really nail the nutrition part down as it very hard to notice significant results without it

• Advertisement
Advertisement