Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money does the state give the Catholic Church?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    Do you believe, for example, that designing, building and maintaining some of the largest buildings in the country, each one dedicated to nothing but themselves, their ideas and their heroes, is really as deserving of a tax break as, say, cancer research or child abuse recovery?

Yes, they are all equally deserving a tax break, because none of them are making a profit for anybody. It's quite simple really when you take off your ideological blinkers. You should tax corporations on their profits.

Where do you want to go next? Should the State construct a hierarchy of tax breaks on a sliding scale according to how each non-profit group conforms to Robin's likes and dislikes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    It's quite simple really when you take off your ideological blinkers [...] Should the State construct a hierarchy of tax breaks on a sliding scale according to how each non-profit group conforms to Robin's likes and dislikes?
    It's telling that you've not addressed any of the points I've made and instead you're desperately trying to make ever-so-personal!

I'll assume that you're not responding because you simply couldn't bring yourself to think that your globe-trotting attempts to install your religious views where you can, might not not, after all, be the tremendously charitable acts that you no doubt sincerely believe them to be :)

Greetz from Jakarta and a trip here funded which is funded, I must point out, from a fully-taxed revenue stream.

G'night! ;)

It's telling that you've not addressed any of the points I've made and instead you're desperately trying to make ever-so-personal!

If you make any points that are worth addressing then I assure you that I will do so.

As it is I am confining myself to supporting an approach to non-profit organisations that is fully secular and objective in that it treats the religious and the non-religious equally. I am also pointing out the subjectivity of a Soviet style approach which would use tax as a blunt instrument to hammer those who fail to conform to the prevalent ideology. I'm sorry if that is construed by the proposers of such policies as being ever so personal.

If you make any points that are worth addressing then I assure you that I will do so.
    Strange, then, to see you addressing yourself to a thread where you think there's nothing worth addressing.

That's Zen, innit?

Strange, then, to see you addressing yourself to a thread where you think there's nothing worth addressing.

That's Zen, innit?

I didn't say there was nothing worth addressing. Some posters have made excellent and thoughtful points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I and others have dealt with your "points" again and again. Unless you've gone and rewritten all your previous posts that is.

Jakkass wrote: »
    I and others have dealt with your "points" again and again.
    I don't think you have the slightest clue what I was talking about. I'm not saying this to be rude, btw -- I genuinely think you haven't understood really anything I've written :o

I don't think you have the slightest clue what I was talking about.

That'll make two of you then.

Sorry, couldn't resist that, I'll get my coat. :o

robindch wrote:
    I don't think you have the slightest clue what I was talking about.
    That'll make two of you then.
    Great to see you finally found a post you could respond to :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

How much money does the Irish state give the Catholic Church?

My estimate is that it is in the tens of millions. Sneaky money. Tens of millions earmarked for the needy being redirected to cup of bread, slice of tea organisations, that send the vast excess on to fund the palaces and parish houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

And the thread rose, and appeared to many....

Advertisement