Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will coal, gas and oil last?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Hi mods, please move this thread if it is in the wrong place. Thanks.

Hello. How long will coal, gas and oil last?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Untill we figure out a new "cheaper" energy that we'll be charged the same for so the government can make more money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Till it runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

40 years. probably 30 now for oil and gas

We will never run out of either, it just won't yield any energy to extract it from the ground at some point.

100s of years of coal left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Depends, how much did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

There's about 30-40 years of oil left but i would say in about 20 years it will become too expensive for the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I get about 2 months out of a fill of oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Pauleta wrote: »
    There's about 30-40 years of oil left but i would say in about 20 years it will become too expensive for the general public.

Just as well I have a Horse outside

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it'll last a lot longer than is quoted I think. there plenty of deeper un tapped resources that are too expenive now, but as it gets scarer it'll become worthwhile to dig it out and the technology will improve making access easier too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

It's never going to get cheaper, I've read some people saying we have already reached peak production and now begins a long drawn out decline filled with wars and conflict over the remaining supplies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They've been saying that for 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

They've been saying that for 30 years

It's like the whole diamond fiasco, control the supply, justify the price.

As far as I know Canada has huge untapped reserves of oil, but its not crude oil, and it's expensive to utilize.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I agree (about the cost not the years - I don't have figures and don't honestly find it relevant today). But that will also make alternative energies inherently cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I know a guy working in the oil industry in Canada. He is an engineer that analyses gas pipelines and leaks. He told me there is a huge amount of oil left, it is just all kept hush hush so they can make more money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I know a guy working in the oil industry in Canada. He is an engineer that analyses gas pipelines and leaks. He told me there is a huge amount of oil left, it is just all kept hush hush so they can make more money on it.
    Not surprised.

The pragmatist in me sees it as necessary. Anything we know we have an abundance of we consume nonchalantly. At least in the current culture we are more conscious of future conservation.

sounds like BS... there is no doubt plenty of oil left in the earths crust, the problem is that it is hard to get at and starts to consume more energy extracting it than you will get from the extracted oil.

the other problem is the quality of the Crude Oil... not all Crude is easily or cheaply refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

As far as I know Canada has huge untapped reserves of oil, but its not crude oil, and it's expensive to utilize.

Oilsands, or some call it tarsands.

There is also huge reserves of oilshale in North America and heavy oils in Mexico and Venezuela.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

That's a similar theme to a cousin of mine who does research in leukemia in kids and says it's speculated in that industry that there is a cure for cancer out there, but the big pharmaceutical companies keep it hush as there is more money to be made in the treatment of it, than cure it

flanzer wrote: »
    That's a similar theme to a cousin of mine who does research in leukemia in kids and says it's speculated in that industry that there is a cure for cancer out there, but the big pharmaceutical companies keep it hush as there is more money to be made in the treatment of it, than cure it

Conspiracy theories.. I've no doubt there's a grain of truth in it, they do rather make drugs that you'll be dependent on for life rather than a cure, but I refuse to believe they are monstrous enough to hold out on a cure for childhood Leukemia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

flanzer wrote: »

I doubt there is an actual cure out there, but I would imagine that when companies are doing research they concentrate on areas which will yield a treatment over areas that will yield a cure. Not that I know much about cancer research to say that they are distinct and identifiable areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

The George probably has decent oil reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

I'm reading Paul Roberts - The End of Oil and is a great book looking at how much reserves are left, politics with oil and the other options availible. Definately recommend it.

The range varies a lot between different oil optimists and pessimists but we may have reached our peak and we have the last of the 'easy oil'. Now they will have to drill for oil in more difficult and dangerous places like the Atlantic or the Artic but there will be a lot of opposition. I'm no way any expert in this just reciting what I read so might not be correct.

There's a interesting section stating that goverments are hesitant to switch to other sources of energy and will most likely wait until there is no other solution due to the tax they make from oil and the cost of other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would have thought that recycling the oleaginous remains of Gerry Ryan would have sorted out our oil needs for a decade or two?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

RichieC wrote: »
    Conspiracy theories.. I've no doubt there's a grain of truth in it, they do rather make drugs that you'll be dependent on for life rather than a cure, but I refuse to believe they are monstrous enough to hold out on a cure for childhood Leukemia.

I'm not so sure, what about the time Bayer knowingly let thousands become infected with HIV, all because they didn;t want to lose money on an infected batch of plasma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contaminated_haemophilia_blood_products

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

stovelid wrote: »
    I would have thought that recycling the oleaginous remains of Gerry Ryan would have sorted out our oil needs for a decade or two?

Too soon...too soon :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Usersname

You can forget about tarsands and all those other 'reserves' of oil on the planet. Oil will not run out, as was said before, it will only become inefficient to extract. Extracting oil from tarsands is extremely energy intensive and uses vast quantities of fresh water. It is not exactly sustainable or efficient.

The worlds oil consumption increases at a rate of 7% a year. This means it doubles every 10 years. In other words, if oil ran out tomorrow, we would have to discover the same amount of oil we have consumed since the industrial revolution in order to last 10 more years of consumption.

So you can see how even if there are 'huge' amounts of oil left in Canada or Mexico or whatever it will still not be enough to get us beyond the 10 or 20 year mark.

Yes people have been saying this for 30 years and it might not happen for another 50 or more. But it is going to happen. And it will not be pretty. If we are unprepared it may lead to the collapse of western civilization as we know it.

As for how much oil and gas is left, nobody on this planet has any idea. There's just a whole bunch of guesstimations floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Longer then chocolate

Usersname wrote: »

So you can see how even if there are 'huge' amounts of oil left in Canada or Mexico or whatever it will still not be enough to get us beyond the 10 or 20 year mark.

Yes people have been saying this for 30 years and it might not happen for another 50 or more. But it is going to happen. And it will not be pretty. If we are unprepared it may lead to the collapse of western civilization as we know it.

As for how much oil and gas is left, nobody on this planet has any idea. There's just a whole bunch of guesstimations floating about.

We will be unprepared, seems to be a political faux pas to even mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Usersname

RichieC wrote: »
    We will be unprepared, seems to be a political faux pas to even mention it.

You're dead right, but you always have to speak hypothetically when referring to the future of the planet to avoid upsetting the hoards of ignorant sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

How long would a person burn on a fire? Just wondering if worst comes to worst. *cough* old people. >_>

Advertisement