Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocksmith

Options
  • 15-03-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭

Music games aren't dead, they're just evolving. :)
    This sounds pretty cool (if done well).
    Good luck to them against Rock Band, though....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-15-ubisoft-announces-guitar-game-rocksmith
    Guitar Hero is dead and Rock Band faces an uncertain future, but for game company Ubisoft the music genre is still very much alive.

It's just announced Rocksmith, a game that comes with a real electric guitar and features songs from the Rolling Stones and Nirvana.

"Guitar Hero is a party game. Rocksmith is a music experience," Ubisoft senior vice president of marketing Tony Key told The Hollywood Reporter.

Ubisoft reckons Rocksmith will teach players how to play the guitar – this, it says, makes it a game with "benefits". It is said to play like Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but you're strumming and picking actual notes and chords on real strings. The game learns your abilities as you play and "adjusts gently" to help you learn.

It comes with a standard input jack that can plug "most" electric guitars into a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. The Nintendo Wii is not supported.

Apparently Ubisoft is negotiating with Gibson and others to sell a $200 (£124) version of the game that would come bundled with an electric guitar.

45 songs are expected on the disc, including tracks from the Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Nirvana and the Animals. Game's due out in September.

Ubisoft hopes Rocksmith will fill the music gap that emerged following Activision and Viacom's exit from the genre.

Activision killed the Hero franchise last month following poor sales of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, a move that followed MTV Games owner Viacom's decision to let Rock Band maker Harmonix buy its independence.

"The dream of playing guitar compared to how many follow through - there's a big gap," Key said. "We will create a new generation of guitar players."

Rocksmith is due to be released Sep 2011 on PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wow just wow is all that comes to mind reading that. Wow at their ignorance or stupidity or both :D

They seem to have never heard of rock band 3 and are presenting this as a totally new revolutionary concept. Not only has Rock Band 3 done it but Power Gig: Rise Of the Six string did it too and look how well that did, hell look at how well Rock Band 3 did.

Even if ubisoft do a better job with getting the instruments to market and subsequent availability to average Jo/e punter no way are the majority of folks willing to prob 200 quid on new instruments for something that will likely die off a month after release.

Mind you they have single handly beaten rockband 3 with the ability to use any guitar :o

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Okay, fair enough, it's awesome that you can use any guitar, if it's cheap I'll jump on it and all... But their blurb and those videos make it sound like they've never heard of this little dev. named Harmonix? :P

Interesting to see how this goes though. If RB3 could make support for any guitar I'd be happy. But then, maybe there's reasons they didn't do that in the first place... Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For promos, those went a long way towards convincing me. This looks really promising. Doesn't hurt that Chantel was easy on the eye too. :)

Here is another trailer:

See this was something that occurred me as well, why didnt RB do this too :confused:

From my limited knowledge and from looking at the videos the guitars just seem to use a cable, now a guitar is an analog device so simple connecting like that serves no purpose with out a midi pickup surely ? And not that I have seen work in the way they show in that video, all have been actual pickups fitted next to the bridge of the guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I want to like this but the UI looks like bawls. Are those lego bricks floating above some notes? I am curious to see the implentation as how would the game differentiate the signal as being that of a guitar as opposed to a keyboard I could plug in with the same jack? Reeks of uncertainty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you can't wait then go on to the LittleBigStar site, click on the JamOrigin banner and sign up for the OffBeat guitar beta. It's basically the same thing but you have to source your own songs :) (GP5 format tabs, Ogg format music)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

calex71 wrote: »
    From my limited knowledge and from looking at the videos the guitars just seem to use a cable, now a guitar is an analog device so simple connecting like that serves no purpose with out a midi pickup surely ?

It's possible that they're using software to take a Fourier transform of the audio output from the guitar - that would allow you to tell the constituent frequencies of whatever the guitarist is playing. It's not as accurate as having an analogue-to-MIDI pickup associated with each string, but it should work. If it does, I really hope Harmonix patch in some support for RB3! It'd be a way cheaper alternative to the Squier/Mustang.

It's possible that they're using software to take a Fourier transform of the audio output from the guitar - that would allow you to tell the constituent frequencies of whatever the guitarist is playing. It's not as accurate as having an analogue-to-MIDI pickup associated with each string, but it should work. If it does, I really hope Harmonix patch in some support for RB3! It'd be a way cheaper alternative to the Squier/Mustang.
    Sounds impressive but I doubt there will be patches unless they form some sort of arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Nockz wrote: »
    Sounds impressive but I doubt there will be patches unless they form some sort of arrangement.

That's probably true... they supported Guitar Hero controllers with most of their titles, though, so you never know. Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭padair

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/ubisofts-rocksmith-aims-to-prove-anyone-can-play-guitar/

I just found this this morning. The latest video from south by south west looks dammed cool. I think I will wait and see before I buy. If I can get a copy of the game without a gutar I would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

padair's vid from above... This game is starting to look like the real deal!

Wow the charting looks 100x more intuitive than RB pro mode :eek:

Songs confirmed are
    • The Animals – House of the Rising Sun
    • Best Coast – When I'm With You
    • The Black Keys – I Got Mine
    • Blur – Song 2
    • The Black Keys – Next Girl
    • The Boxer Rebellion – Step Out Of The Car
    • Cream – Sunshine Of Your Love
    • The Cribs – We Share The Same Skies
    • The Cure – Boys Don't Cry
    • David Bowie – Rebel Rebel
    • Jenny O – Well OK Honey
    • Interpol – Slow Hands
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
    • Nirvana – Breed
    • Nirvana – In Bloom
    • Pixies – Where Is My Mind?
    • Radiohead – High and Dry
    • Red Fang – Number Thirteen
    • The Rolling Stones – The Spider and the Fly
    • The Rolling Stones – (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    • Silversun Pickups – Panic Switch
    • Soundgarden - Outshined
    • Spoon – Me and The Bean
    • Stone Temple Pilots – Vasoline
    • Taddy Porter – Mean Bitch
    • Titus Andronicus – A More Perfect Union
    • White Denim – Burnished
    • The White Stripes – Icky Thump
    • Yellow Moon Band - Chimney

Not particularly impressed by the list so far.

Songs confirmed are

Not particularly impressed by the list so far.

Loving the lineup, load of good american bands.

padair wrote: »
    Loving the lineup, load of good american bands.

Ah it's not that they are not good songs, it's just the list has more than a few of the "Old Reliables" from Rock Band / Guitar Hero games that I'm sick of seeing in music games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just got the latest Ubisoft release shedule and it had no sign of Rock smith, double checked with Ubi and it turns out its only getting a US release in September.

Just got the latest Ubisoft release shedule and it had no sign of Rock smith, double checked with Ubi and it turns out its only getting a US release in September.

That sucks some serious ass. Europe gets jilted once more :(

Could be region free hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Set to come out here (well the UK anyway) in the Fall so i guess Octoberish

• Advertisement

some gameplay / charting / propaganda

Might be better if you were actually playing it but those charts confused the hell out of me, and I know freebird :confused:

Lol, that looks appalling. Would love to eat my words, but I doubt I will. :P

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Lol, that looks appalling. Would love to eat my words, but I doubt I will. :P

I'll pick it up when it inevitably hits the bargain bins. Also I saw somewhere that bass will not be supported but will be patched in at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

any update on this? Ubisoft were saying 2012 for Europe last I saw.

What are the chances the US version wont be region locked?

any update on this? Ubisoft were saying 2012 for Europe last I saw.

What are the chances the US version wont be region locked?

I thought all games were region free..?

The UI is sooooo weird. What's with the floating lego blocks?

If only RB had tat tech though... if only...

The UI is sooooo weird. What's with the floating lego blocks?

If only RB had tat tech though... if only...

Yeah and appart from DLC all has been quiet from them, they seem more ivented in dance central these days :(

Yeah and appart from DLC all has been quiet from them, they seem more ivented in dance central these days :(
    But they just released word of Dream Theater, Coldplay, Breaking Benjamin and Stevie Wonder DLC. Can't all be bad :p

But they just released word of Dream Theater, Coldplay, Breaking Benjamin and Stevie Wonder DLC. Can't all be bad :p

Theres been some great stuff out recently , the Slipknot stuff was great even though im not a fan, and Blink 182 next week, those are always fun to play especially on drums.

• Advertisement

Theres been some great stuff out recently , the Slipknot stuff was great even though im not a fan, and Blink 182 next week, those are always fun to play especially on drums.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/10/12/rocksmith-delayed-in-europe/

The game will not support pal tvs. I was going to get my flat mate to get me this when he hits the states in a month. How can I find out if the game will work on my TV.?

Advertisement