Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hips and heels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Tuesday 12th April 2011- Max week continues!
    Clean and jerk: 35kg, 40kg, 45kg x 3, 48kg x 3, 51kg x 2, 54kg, 58kg, 61kg, 65kg (pr +2kg!)
    Power snatch: 40kg x 3 x 4
    Isometric clean grip pull, 80kg x 8s
    Isometric snatch grip pull, 80kg x 8s x 2
    Squats: 81kg x 3, 88kg x 3, 93kg x 2, 99kg

Clean of 65kg was nice and easy. The jerk was tough enough but due to technical deficiencies, I haven't had the opportunity to be in a position to put that much effort into the jerk before now. There's more in the tank though, I'm happy enough that I can probably begin to take out a bit of slack on this lift! :)
    Hips are screaming sore from squats so we called it a day at 85% there. I'm going to ice the hell out of them and pray they get better for Saturday.

Thursday 14th April 2011
    Press: 20kg x 10, 25kg x 5, 30kg x 5, 35kg x 3, 39.5kg x 3 x 5
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 30kg x 3, 36kg x 3, 39kg x 3, 42kg x 2, 45kg
    Clean and jerk: 45kg x 3, 48kg x 3, 52kg x 2, 55kg
    Squat: 81kg x 3, 88kg x 3, 93kg x 2, 100kg

Saturday 16th April 2011- East Coast Barbell, Bray
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 30kg x 3, 35kg x 3, 40kg x 2, 45kg, 50kg, 55kg (f x 2), 56kg (pr +1)
    Clean and jerk: 45kg x 3, 50kg x 2, 55kg, 60kg, 65kg, 68.75kg (f), 70kg (f)

Best days lifting ever! After failing 55kg snatch twice:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OVzrcovVnY, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNyXUzHjZaQ, I had taken off my wraps and was walking away when Tommy suggested I try 56kg. I thought he was off his rocker but coach knows best so I gave it a shot and this was the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKAcYrKXaE. Felt so good after this! :)
    Took about ten minutes to swagger around feeling like queen of the universe, then came back to clean and jerk.
    All plain sailing, 65kg was solid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydS-81Z5LA, someone misloaded the bar so after that was 68.75kg. Clean was easy, I think I had the jerk too far back overhead so it turned into an overhead wrestling match that I failed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WG07vCYMuA (misloading was not the reason I failed it btw!). Decided to have one last bash at getting 70kg and again, clean was solid but jerk was too far forward: http://www.youtube.com/user/delynchster?blend=17&ob=5#p/u/0/1EU7kzRhmaE. I'm happy enough that it's there though. Pretty sure that I might be able to do it for the Seniors in 3 weeks time.

Time to eat my weight in food now, feeling hungry after that! Great bloody day, I <3 ECB :)

Monday 18th April 2011, new programme, starting on week 2
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 30kg x 3, 35kg x 3, 39kg x 3, 42kg x 3, 45kg x 2, 48kg x 1 x 5 (missed the third one due to a brain fart but the others were easy. I remember when this was a max a few weeks ago! Progress is goooooooood!!)
    Rack jerk: 50kg x 3 x 4
    Isometric clean pulls: 100kg x 3 x 8s
    Squat: 84kg x 3, 90kg x 3, 96kg x 2, 102kg x 1 x 3, x 2 x 1

Great session today, buckets of energy, form felt good and I really enjoyed myself. Hips still a bit sore but they aren't affecting progress for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I can't find anything in your log to make smartass comments about. :(

• Advertisement

I'm the queen of the universe. I'm a goddam rockstar. All hail me. You all suck and I'm the best and you are all losers. This is really how I feel and I'm not being sarcastic at all, not even a little.

How's that Colum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I'm scared that if I say anything you'll challenge me to a squat off. And I won't get to squat Ed this time...

I don't take part in squat offs with cripples. And Ed will always let you squat him. It makes him feel pretty.

Choo choo buddy.

Wednesday 20th April 2011
    Clean and Jerk: 35kg x 3, 46kg x 3, 50kg x 3, 53kg x 2, 56kg x 1 x 5
    Isometric jerk: 70kg x 8s x 3
    Squat: 84kg x 3, hips exploded and we decided to terminate all training there and then forever. Ow. Or until Friday at least. Time for Ice bath. Really need to stop ignoring this and find the cause for these exploding hips. It's embarrassing when my hips explode.

Thursday 21st April 2011
    Pressing: 20kg x 10, 30kg x 5, 35kg x 3, 40kg x 3 x 5

• Advertisement

Friday 22nd April 2011
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 30kg x 3, 35kg x 3, 39kg x 3, 42kg x 3, 45kg x 2, 48kg x 1 x 5 (failed the last one due to lack of concentration but immediately retook it and got it easy peasy)
    Rack jerks: 50kg x 3 x 4 (These are feeling consistently good. It's taken me long eenough to get it but I'm very happy with them now)
    Isometric clean pulls: 100kg x 8s x 3
    Squats....
    I thought a narrower stance wuld help these so I tried a narrow stance 50kg and it felt fine so I bashed my usual 84kg on the bar and did it for a triple. My hips exploded again. We decided to try front squats and they felt all lovely and flowy and nice so we're going to stick with them until after the Seniors in two weeks. We decided on a few triples at 70kg. I think I did around 5 sets or so. The objective is to just maintain the strength I have in my legs rather than build on it. I have to say, I normally don't like something if it's too light but I reckon I'll enjoy the holiday from heavy squats!

I did some stretching and rolling then. The hips are a sodding mess, but still, good day. Snatching is fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

supposedly wrote: »
    Snatching is fun!

Amen to that.

Saturday 23rd April 2011
    Clean and Jerk: 35kg x 3, 46kg x 3, 50kg x 3, 53kg x 2, 56kg x 1 x 5 (first three were great at 56kg, the fourth was out front and the 5th just wasn't agressive enough. Shoulders must've been tired or something)

Then got roped into doing some strongman circuits out at Ironside. Class joint, lot's of fun toys and the owner seems like a sound dude.

The circuits involved yoke walks, farmer walks, keg loading (I was too short for this, and maybe a little too weak!), tyre jumps, hammer swings, log clean and press, car deadlifts, tyre flips, and carrying stuff up steps (I was also too short and possibly too weak for this). Fun day, I'm properly wreked now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Then got roped into doing some strongman circuits out at Ironside. Class joint, lot's of fun toys and the owner seems like a sound dude.

The circuits involved yoke walks, farmer walks, keg loading (I was too short for this, and maybe a little too weak!), tyre jumps, hammer swings, log clean and press, car deadlifts, tyre flips, and carrying stuff up steps (I was also too short and possibly too weak for this). Fun day, I'm properly wreked now!

That sounds interesting and ":psomewhat:p" fun, not in the sitting on the beach relaxing with a drink kinda of fun, but still fun.

Tuesday 26th April 2011
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 30kg x 3, 35kg x 3, 39kg x 3, 42kg x 3, 45kg x 2, 48kg, 50kg (f- lack of concentration), 50kg x 1 x 3
    Rack jerks: 50kg x 3 x 4
    Isometric clean pulls: 100kg x 3 x 8s
    Front squats: 70kg x 3 x 5

Thursday 28th April 2011
    Clean and jerk: 35kg x 3, 48kg x 3, 50kg x 3, 53kg x 2, 56kg, 59kg x 1 x 4 (These were great today!)
    Front Squat: 70kg x 3 x 5

Saturday 30th April 2011
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 31kg x 3, 39kg x 3, 42kg x 3, 45kg x 2, 48kg, 50kg x 1 x 2 (f), x 1 x 2
    Clean and jerk: 48kg x 3, 50kg x 3, 53kg x 2, 56kg, 59kg x 1 x 4

Not a great lifting day today.I was in a rush and the head wasn't in the right place.

Monday 2nd May 2011
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 31kg x 3, 39kg x 3 x 2, 42kg x 3, 45kg x 2, 48kg, 50kg
    Clean and jerk: 48kg x 3, 50kg x 3, 53kg x 2, 56kg, 59kg, 65kg

Snatch was alright but not great. Clean and jerks started okay and got better as session went on. Took awhile to warm up and get into the groove but once I did, they felt great. 65kg was really solid. This bodes quite well for Saturday.

65kg was really solid. This bodes quite well for Saturday.

What's happening on Sat?

howtomake wrote: »
    What's happening on Sat?

The Irish Senior Weightlifting Championships in Belfast. I can't wait!

• Advertisement

The Irish Senior Weightlifting Championships in Belfast. I can't wait!

Ah, ok well good luck!:D

Tuesday 3rd May 2011
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 31kg x 3, 39kg x 3 x 2, 42kg x 2, 45kg x 2, 48kg
    Clean and jerk: 48kg cx 3, 50kg x 3, 53kg x 2, 56kg, 59kg
    Front squats: 70kg x 2 x 5

I arrived into Hercs absolutely wired from coffee, dark chocolate and some motivational tunes on my music player. Snatches were flying up but not necessarily in the groove. Technique was only okay today, not amazing. Swung the 48kg a little, started to lose it behind and managed to muscle it back into place and stand up.
    Clean and jerks were easy peasy, I can't wait to see what I got with these on Saturday. Bring it on!

Here's a video of one of my 59kg clean and jerks from last Thursday for no particular reason. http://youtu.be/mlWbrmF0rl8 I had a slight elbow rebend here. I believe that was failing to think of the cue "lock the shoulders". Will have to keep that in mind for Saturday. Quite happy with my cleans though.

Wednesday 4th May 2011
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, 31kg x 3, 39kg x 3 x 5
    Clean and jerk: 46kg x 3 x 5
    Front squats: 60kg x 2 x 5

I'm completely wired and dying for Saturday. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!

bw: 61.5kg
    Snatch: 50kg, 54kg, 57kg (pr+1)
    Clean and jerk: 65kg, 70kg (f), 70kg (pr+5kg)

Rested up Thursday and Friday and was raring to go Saturday Morning. Snatched up to 50kg in the warmup and they didn't feel all that snappy but with the adrenaline, they bombed up on the platform. Even 57kg felt quite easy, I reckon I'm good for a bodyweight snatch soon.

Clean and jerked up to 60kg in the warmup then and the jerks felt ridiculously heavy. (Cleans felt very easy but then they always do!)
    I was a bit worried about opening with my previous best but there was good gravity on the platform and it was fairly easy. I had an elbow rebend on the 1st 70kg attempt which made me more determined and for my third and final lift, I really stuck it.

I came 2nd in my weightclass and held a national record for 2 seconds until it was broken again. I really enjoyed the day. There were some really great lifts and a bit of banter. Weightlifting is such a fun sport! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1uyPfUUvWc

Went back to training today, expecting a light recovery week, which apparently meant week 1 of a new programme (80% of new heavier weights to reflect the prs lifted on Saturday). I didn't feel particularly tired so had no objections but I guessed something was wrong when I was failing snatches at 36kg then 41kg. Of the 6 doubles at 44kg, I think I made 4 or 5 in total, and they felt pretty near max effort!
    Rack jerk doubles at 56kg were a complete joke. I failed more than I hit and I was panting like a dying dog so we left out the isometrics and went straight to front squats. After 2 or 3 strained sets at 77kg we cut our losses and decided we'd been silly for long enough.
    Weird thing is I don't feel tired at all, apart from not being able to lift my hat, I feel fine.
    I'm not bothered by it, I reckon I'm just under recovered or something and I'll be back to normal by Wednesday.

Wednesday 10th May 2011
    I went for a bit of a jog -walk, just to get my glow on. Spent the day tipping away at presses and backsquats at 30kg and did a few sets of chinups, mostly triples. No point to what I was at today, I was doing college work and I just got up and moved a bit when I got bored or cold.
    Plan for the evening is a cosy night in with the foam roller. For the next month, it's war on these damn inflexible calves and ankles.
    I ate slightly more food today than of the past few weeks but of much better quality. Might keep that up and see where it takes me in a few weeks.
    I have an exam tomorrow so I'm going to get back to weightlifting on Friday.

Plan for the evening is a cosy night in with the foam roller.

How romantic! I've squashed the b-jaysus out of mine, it hasn't been the same since.

howtomake wrote: »
    How romantic! I've squashed the b-jaysus out of mine, it hasn't been the same since.

I also have a pvc pipe for when the foam roller just won't cut it! I'm a complete sham for making myself use these things consistently though and as a result, I have the most fecked up calves in the universe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I also have a pvc pipe for when the foam roller just won't cut it! I'm a complete sham for making myself use these things consistently though and as a result, I have the most fecked up calves in the universe!

Get the rolling pin out and get someone else to do it to you. Find something to bite down on as well :D

• Advertisement

Friday 13th May 2011
    Snatch: 25kg x 3, hang 25kg x 3, 35kg x 3, hang 35kg x 3, 40kg x 3, hang 40kg x 3
    Clean and jerk: 50kg x 3 x 5
    Backsquat: 50kg x 3, 70kg x 3, 90kg x 3

Kept it light today again on coaches orders, back to 80% on Monday.
    Snatches were woosh bang, in the groove so no problems with coordination or cns or any of that. Cleans are always grand and jerks were awesome today. Backsquats were purely exploratory to see what condition my hip is in. Not bad at all but there was definitely a bit of a twinge at 90kg which I'm still feeling now. I don't seem to have any issues with the knees wobbling in anymore so that can't be it. I'd like to get back to progressing my backsquat soon as I don't really like front squats. We'll see how it goes anyway.
    Overall, a grand session today, was dying to get back to it after the few days off. I love lifting! :):):)

Stretched for about 15minutes after, very pleased with myself :)

Advertisement