Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homefront

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Spear wrote: »
    I'm liking the MP so far. The maps are a good bit bigger than CoD:BOps, and more cluttered and complex. There's lots of cover and things to hide behind. Weapons do decent damage so it's two or three hits to drop someone, making it fairly fast and merciless. The presence of drones and personal UAV's helps to keep it varied and unpredictable.

How many maps are on the MP????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How many maps are on the MP????

8 it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Helix wrote: »
    yeah but if they were so focussed on multiplayer why did they bother getting one of the writers from apocalypse now in to write the campaign? why bother with it at all? surely the development time and resources wouldve allowed them to include more maps, weapons and classes in a multiplayer only game

+1 they could do like mag did, if they were focused on multiplayer. Now take all those recourses wasted on sp and putnthat in to mp.

The ones who are playing now... How many primary weapons in it, and how many secondary?

Now I watched one video of multiplayer and want to get confirmation.

I sow fella taking rpg and shooting tank. Then he swapped weapon in to some assault riffle. Then he press's some button and he had reloaded and fully combat ready rpg, which he used to blow tank to Jesus.... So what happened there? Did he spawned an rpg out of his arse in the middle of the battle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

+1 they could do like mag did, if they were focused on multiplayer. Now take all those recourses wasted on sp and putnthat in to mp.

The ones who are playing now... How many primary weapons in it, and how many secondary?

I sow fella taking rpg and shooting tank. Then he swapped weapon in to some assault riffle. Then he press's some button and he had reloaded and fully combat ready rpg, which he used to blow tank to Jesus.... So what happened there? Did he spawned an rpg out of his arse in the middle of the battle?

From the videos i've seen there a thing called "battle points" that are earned during the match and can be spent to buy things like RPGs and tanks during the match so that probably explains where the RPG came from.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As Pablo said, you can spend earned BP on items, such as UAV's, hellfire strikes or RPGs. These have to be selected when you configure your class, so not everyone will have magic RPGs appearing and can still be caught out despite the added flexibility. The vehicles are a lot tougher than the likes of BF, and even HMMVW's can take 3 rockets or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

They should have just stuck to what they were good at and made it an MP only game. Desert Combat was better then both BF1942 and BF2 imo.

have to agree.

i love alternative reality games. wheres history could make a turn and be different. this game is sort of like this.

So do I, red alert , world in conflict etc. This was just lazy and way too off the wall, just like a game where Iraq invades and conquers America or Vietnam invading America.

It'd be more interesting if they went full alternate reality and had something like the EU invading the US or vice versa. Or do the whole 80's thing like WIC, and kept it multiplayer too.

Its a shame.

Still what are peoples impressions of the muliplayer? Did they do a BF style conquest type game play or just the usual team death match style we see everywhere else?

Also, why the hell is everything always based in 2027? Massive common theme in games and sci fi.

Sisko wrote: »
    They should have just stuck to what they were good at and made it an MP only game. Desert Combat was better then both BF1942 and BF2 imo.

So do I, red alert , world in conflict etc. This was just lazy and way too off the wall, just like a game where Iraq invades and conquers America or Vietnam invading America.

It'd be more interesting if they went full alternate reality and had something like the EU invading the US or vice versa. Or do the whole 80's thing like WIC, and kept it multiplayer too.

Its a shame.

Still what are peoples impressions of the muliplayer? Did they do a BF style conquest type game play or just the usual team death match style we see everywhere else?

There's the usual team deathmatch, and there's two conquest mode variants.

Spear wrote: »
    8 it would seem.

Hmmmmmm not too bad at all,

Will be picking this up tomorrow id say.

Hmmmmmm not too bad at all,

Will be picking this up tomorrow id say.

I'd still be hesitant to recommend it to people to pay full price for. A demo or major price reduction would be better to wait for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I can't stress this enough; do not, under any circumstances, pay full price for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Just both the russia PC version of honefront and am preloading on steam. Didnt pay full price and am gonna just play it for multiplayer only. Should be a nice alternative from black ops. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I can't stress this enough; do not, under any circumstances, pay full price for this game.

why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Anyone get it for the PS3? Can L2 and R2 be used for ADS and fire? Don't like using L1 and R2 like BC2. Might pick it up once the price goes down.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    why not?

It's short, shallow, poorly written and barring the last level, very little fun to actually play.

While I've no doubt it's going to sell bucketloads on the strength of an enormous marketing push, it just doesn't come close to living up to it. If you're still mad to play it, wait about a week - there will be an awful lot of preowned copies available very suddenly, the price will drop steeply, and the multiplayer servers might just work.

It's short, shallow, poorly written and barring the last level, very little fun to actually play.

While I've no doubt it's going to sell bucketloads on the strength of an enormous marketing push, it just doesn't come close to living up to it. If you're still mad to play it, wait about a week - there will be an awful lot of preowned copies available very suddenly, the price will drop steeply, and the multiplayer servers might just work.

most multiplayer focused fps sp are short shallow and crap.
    because the mp is were people will play most and keep coming back.

and the servers are being overloaded with people playing and they are working on it.

i'm still picking it up in the morning. from what i've heard lots of people are enjoying the game.

i'm getting bored with cod now and this is looking good to me.

ok lets say within a week (it has been out in the us almost a week now) the game fails and i trade it back in i lose what 20 euro well a week of playing for 20 euro isnt bad. about the price i would spend going to the cinema where i would see some good and some crap films.

whats life if you dont take chances

I'm telling you right here and now that this game is a failure in basically everything it set out to do, and your response is "Everyone should take a chance on it anyway, sure life is all about risk". That's crazy.

Gameplay is shallow, there's not much variety or satisfaction to be found in the weapons, and environments are uniformly dull. This game does not live up to it's own hype, and sure, maybe it offers a very solid multiplayer experience, but it doesn't make sense to pay twice as much as you need to just to play it now when the servers are failing so hard.

Look, if what you've heard hasn't put you off, that's fine, but it doesn't make sense to seek out other people's experience of the game just so you can make a big deal of dismissing them. It's not a personal slight on you like, there's no call to get so defensive and fanboy about it.

IMHO, this game is not worth full price; therefore, I strongly advise against paying full price. If people want to do it anyway, it's their money, but it's silly to expect me not to voice disappointment in a game that's been pushed so hard as a real FPS contender. It's not.

Look, if what you've heard hasn't put you off, that's fine, but it doesn't make sense to seek out other people's experience of the game just so you can make a big deal of dismissing them. It's not a personal slight on you like, there's no call to get so defensive and fanboy about it.

i agree that you dont like it and your entitled to that
    what i'm trying to say is that other people might.

in this thread alone there have been mixed views on the game two reviewers one liked it the other not so much he felt the same as you thought it was short.

the reviews for this game are very mixed with some saying run from it and some saying its good

if i remember correctly the same was said about BF: BC2 last year. and then a few weeks later it was loved. i happily played it almost every night for a year. and made a few friends in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

im really confused whether to get it or not???? jesus lol is the game that bad?? has anyone gotten it and played it hands on?

I've played it right through. It's not that it's a terrible game, it's just hugely underwhelming and by no means a challenger to more established FPS franchises.

So like I say, while I think it might be worth a bash when the price drops a bit - as it already has, severely, in the US - I'd say hold off on it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im really confused whether to get it or not???? jesus lol is the game that bad?? has anyone gotten it and played it hands on?

Its a run of the mill shooter that will appeal to some and not others. Simple as that.

I enjoyed it while it lasted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

.. man that really is a COD clone. until you get a feel of it maybe.. hard to respect that though i've always maintained other titles need to mimic that engine if just to give me a cod type game. cod is thee online primary playground gonna be hard pushed getting young fanboys not to buy this game; even in it scored 40 i mean look at the HUD.. listen to the audio. :eek: they can't resist that.. a fix is a fix; esp where cod is its the only game most of them play - the maps don't appeal but the lighting is alright i guess..
    I am playing k&l 2 now and I love story and characters way more then black daisy pushers...

what an underrated title that was :D strictly 18s mind; i think its sleazy visceral nature depressed a lot of squeamish reviewers into despising it. or to ward the young-uns off it maybe.. perfect for the likes of us anyhow.

for anyone thinking about picking this up gamestop have a deal where you trade in 3 games from this list and you get it for 3 euro

list
    http://www.gamestop.ie/locale/statics/TradeIn600Titles.pdf

MP is good, SP is sh1te.

Close the thread.

Star Bingo wrote: »
    .. man that really is a COD clone. until you get a feel of it maybe.. hard to respect that though i've always maintained other titles need to mimic that engine if just to give me a cod type game. cod is thee online primary playground gonna be hard pushed getting young fanboys not to buy this game; even in it scored 40 i mean look at the HUD.. listen to the audio. :eek: they can't resist that.. a fix is a fix; esp where cod is its the only game most of them play - the maps don't appeal but the lighting is alright i guess..

what an underrated title that was :D strictly 18s mind; i think its sleazy visceral nature depressed a lot of squeamish reviewers into despising it. or to ward the young-uns off it maybe.. perfect for the likes of us anyhow.

damn m8, in all fairness.... i finished k&l 2 yesterday. i freaking loved it!!! the only downside was the ending, but i guess that is for sequal...

in my opinion it was great single player experience, good story, loved the characters, atmosphere, graphic style, controls. it was really good game, but reviewers destoyed it.... i got it brand new for 8eu. well worth every penny so far. i will jump in to arcade mode now, as it looks prety messy and interesting.

as for this homefront......... nah, you can have her, she is to fat for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

damn m8, in all fairness.... i finished k&l 2 yesterday. i freaking loved it!!! the only downside was the ending, but i guess that is for sequal...

in my opinion it was great single player experience, good story, loved the characters, atmosphere, graphic style, controls. it was really good game, but reviewers destoyed it.... i got it brand new for 8eu. well worth every penny so far. i will jump in to arcade mode now, as it looks prety messy and interesting.

as for this homefront......... nah, you can have her, she is to fat for me!

If you liked K&L 2 then you will think Homefront is a utter masterpiece.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Just another fish in the sea of boring FPS's.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Played it yesterday for a couple of hours and it feels exactly like a dozen other games already out there. Nothing at all to distinguish it or make it stand.

Might be worth picking up when it drops below €20, but by then it's online will be abandonned.

If you liked K&L 2 then you will think Homefront is a utter masterpiece.
    i think black ops is biggest piece of crap ever made by human being, as it is brushed by same crap, i doubt. as for K&L2.... if atleast half of people who bashed actually tried it, they would be surprised.i dont see it doing something worse then any ather third person shooter, but it gets bashing for its older brother and gamespot bananza...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

This game was godawful. I literally brought it back an hour later after a few multiplayer matches. I still regularly play games like Resident Evil 2 which was nothing more than a few 3D models on prerendered backgrounds so graphics weren't a dealbreaker for me when it came to Homefront, but it just looks like ass. I was turning corners and having obstacles 3 feet in front of me render on the fly, and people were barely visible in the distance. This is from playing it on a 1080p TV. The weapons feel clunky and unnatural, just like the movement does. I won't even get into the single player.

Avoid at all costs.

Advertisement