Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were you doing 30 years ogo today/this week ect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Heavens, I can't remember what I was doing 30 years ago to a year, never mind a week! I know that we had moved house a couple of years previously, and my kids would have been aged 11 and 9, but beyond that...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

More than likely sitting in my high chair making an absolute mess.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I was in first year.. :o
    I had to think a while to figure that out.

I probably wasn't aware of what was going on in the news much..

But I do remember the Stardust Fire and Bobby Sands dying after his hunger strike.

I don't think the significance/tragedy of either of those made sense to me at the time.

I was having fun and trying to learn French and Spanish at the same time, I had the same teacher for both and don't think she liked me, I was always getting my French and Spanish verbs mixed up..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I was in first year, too and I remember the Hunger Strikes of that year. I remember thinking it was a bit weird when our religion teacher started telling us to wear black armbands...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Paddy's weekend? Met my daughters father at the local dance hall.
    Oooh.
    Flashback....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

30 years ago!? I was in bed cos I had work in the morning. I was 17. As others said..I was aware of the hunger strikers but only from my brother who was 8 years older than me. We didnt have a TV in our house then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I was in hospital with meningitis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

30 Years ago I was just finishing my welding apprenticeship and looking forward to getting married,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

1981, I was 19 going on 20 so naturally my first priority at that age was shifting - be that successfully or not it was always the priority.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

30 years ago I was working at Blackpool Airport for a now defunct company, rebuilding an old airliner rescued from Malasian jungle.

And being scared witless by a giant lizard that had taken up home in one of the wing structures... I fell off my ladder when it's big toothy head smiled at me............. Luckily it was dead, but for a few moments I was into pants filling mode.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Cursing Bobby sands cause our school tour to Dublin got canceled for fear of riots .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Is this week the 30th anniversary of Bobby Sands' death?
    I have always remembered exactly where I was when it was announced on the radio.

My older sister had been given the task, by my mother, of THOROUGHLY cleaning the kitchen. My mother had gone into town, so my sister was also looking after me.

So, she convinced me that really getting into the corners with a cloth would be a fun way to spend the afternoon. So there I was, halfway in the press with a bottle of jif and a blue jay cloth srubbing the presses.
    Next thing some jif got in my eye, and I started squeeling as it really does hurt!

The news was on the radio, and my sister told me to stop making a fuss as Bobby Sands had just died, and here was me making a big deal of a little bit of discomfort when he had just died for the country.

When my mother came home, I was seething with the injustice of it all as my sister got all the praise for doing such a good job on cleaning the kitchen.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

foxinsox wrote: »
    I was in first year.. :o
    Bearhunter wrote: »
    I was in first year, too

So was I! Didn't like it much.

So, when's the School reunion then?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

So was I! Didn't like it much.

So, when's the School reunion then?:D

As soon as my therapist rids me of the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was three in 1981 yet I remember bits and bobs from around that time - I have quite a strong long-term memory (and a useless short-term one :pac:) e.g. my grandad died 30 years ago next month and I remember him. I remember getting a Sindy doll for my third birthday. And because I was musical from the womb I remember songs from that time, e.g. Happy Birthday by Stevie Wonder AND Altered Images (Anything Goes birthday roll ftw...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I was getting ready for the Inter Cert - as it was called then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I was in college in Cork....now don't ask me to remember what I was doing 30 hours ago...:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I was a small child.

Around this year, in Spring myself and my friends went to a field behind our school to see a mare with a new foal. We knew horses, so spent the day feeding the two juicy leaves from our hands. (thumbs and fingers well out of the way)

Next day we tramped up to the field (as kids do, not giving the mare much warning) boldly walked up to the mare with her foal. Probably out of the blue as far as she was concerned!

She bit me in the chest! I had a big black and blue bruise and went to the Doctors all on my own. The skin wasn't broken but he gave me a tetanus! I was scarlet *in the modern parlance of the day*

I learned to always make sure horses saw me approach after that!

(I was under 10 and I never told my Mother, the Doctor never said a word either!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I was in college in Cork....now don't ask me to remember what I was doing 30 hours ago...:D

hi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not this week, but about this time in 81 I was calling in to my GF at work with my newly bought copy of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Was at a w/e long party at a large house in Oxfordshire attended by a few of the lads from Spandau. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was my 18th birthday.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That means it's your birthday around now?

Happy Birthday spurious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Beruthiel wrote: »
    That means it's your birthday around now?
    /Adds info to Stalker notes.

Happy beerday. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was 7, getting ready for my communion at the beginning of May.

On Patricks day I probably went to mass with about a kilo of shamrock stuck to my coat and then into town for the parade.

The following Saturday we more than likely went into Roches Stores on Henry St in Dublin and put another few pound deposit on the communion dress - it cost £40IR - which was a fortune at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I just realised when I read this thread title that I will be 30 in about 9 months.

So I was being concieved sometime around now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

30 years ago this week I was celebrating my birthday. I am not sure exactly which public house I was engaged in exploring though. It was all a bit of a haze back then. I suspect I was in Liverpool city centre hammering the Guiness Original and Bushmills (No longer drink Bushmills though, but I still enjoy a good stout.)

PS Happy Birthday Spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I was working as a chambermaid in Dusseldorf. Two of the girls I worked with were lived closed to the Stardust and got a phone call early on the Sunday to tell them about the tragedy and then another later to tell them of people they knew who had died. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

1st year in College, oh Happy days! Though to be fair, these days are happy, too...;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Getting ready for the leaving cert :(

Advertisement