Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny rows with Sarkozy !

Options
  • 11-03-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Isnt it a breath of fresh air to see a strong Taoiseach representing us over in Europe and takeing no **** form dat french muppett Sarkozy trying to take away our low corporate tax rate.

We would be in such a better situation today had Kenny and Noonan been da ones dat went over to negotiate a fair and proper bailout unlike da previous clowns of Cowen and Lenahan who just bent over da table and let demselves be ridden stupid !

Lets hope its a sign of things to come where da people we elect actually stand up and fight for us ! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

mustang01 wrote: »
    Isnt it a breath of fresh air to see a strong Taoiseach representing us over in Europe and takeing no **** form dat french muppett Sarkozy trying to take away our low corporate tax rate.

We would be in such a better situation today had Kenny and Noonan been da ones dat went over to negotiate a fair and proper bailout unlike da previous clowns of Cowen and Lenahan who just bent over da table and let demselves be ridden stupid !

Lets hope its a sign of things to come where da people we elect actually stand up and fight for us ! :)

I doubt it. The bailout package was negotiated through a set of rules devised by the EU and IMF. But it is heartening to see the new administration fighting for the Irish corner though at some stage compromise will have to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I agree with you.

Amazing how, over on politics.ie, a FF poster opens a thread criticising him for "arguing with our paymasters" .........not mentioning why they are our paymasters in the first place!

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/155668-enda-rowing-our-paymasters.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

We should lower CTR and encourage more American investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mustang01

ha , love to see the reaction den Bullseye but think we be takeing da piss altogether !

dont agree with u der Oppen, absolutely raped we wer coz of da muppetts n da last government ! we held a lota negotiation power back den just like we do now coz dey b ****less ireland decide to do anything dat would cause da whole euro system to collapse !

was only just before da election dat Cowen and Lenihan wer sayn absolutely no change could be done with the bailout deal but a few weeks later with new government ders already an interest rate change planned ! says everything !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

r u txtn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Just shows how much FF put party before country. A rate reduction and stronger negotiations were possible but FF preferred to say it wasn't rather than admit they got a bad deal.
    Fair play to Enda it was always said he is good behind the scenes and not a performer for the media. Hope this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm not a FF apologist, they got NO vote from me 2 weeks ago. But this so called "renegotiation" was always on the cards. It's not something that has been mentioned only since Wednesday when Enda became boss or since election day. So no exaggerated praise please!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm not a FF apologist, they got NO vote from me 2 weeks ago. But this so called "renegotiation" was always on the cards. It's not something that has been mentioned only since Wednesday when Enda became boss or since election day. So no exaggerated praise please!

Lenehin said on more than a few occasions that any renegotiation of the bailout was impossible.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

But this so called "renegotiation" was always on the cards.

Oh. No. It. Wasn't.

Lendahand kept on saying, again and again, that it was impossible to renegotiate the deal and FG were making false promises to the Irish people.

The spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

ha , love to see the reaction den Bullseye but think we be takeing da piss altogether !

dont agree with u der Oppen, absolutely raped we wer coz of da muppetts n da last government ! we held a lota negotiation power back den just like we do now coz dey b ****less ireland decide to do anything dat would cause da whole euro system to collapse !

was only just before da election dat Cowen and Lenihan wer sayn absolutely no change could be done with the bailout deal but a few weeks later with new government ders already an interest rate change planned ! says everything !

English, mofo - speak it or GTFO.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

More on this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sometimes the facts spoil a good rant:
    1. The row was not about our bailout terms, but a proposal to adopt a Common Corporate Tax Base, a matter that is largely technical, but which some people regard as the thin end of a wedge which might erode out tax independence [See http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0311/euro-business.html].
    2. Cowen also rowed with Sarkozy on the same matter [See http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0205/1224289077668.html].
    3. Everybody rows with Sarkozy: he's a feisty little bugger, and annoying as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

I didn't vote for Inda, but if he is arguing with that muppet Sarkozy, well maybe I was wrong.
    Go to it boy, your getting bigger by the hour.

Seriously though, politics, being what it is, do we really stand a chance?

Hopefully enough of the rest of Europe knows that failure for us means the end of Europe as an entity. It leaves them all as small fry in a pool of predators. But how much is this worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Would love to see Sarky take on Ghadaffi on his own:) But of course that won't happen.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I would love to have heard that argument. Is there a clip of it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

dixiefly wrote: »
    I agree with you.

Amazing how, over on politics.ie, a FF poster opens a thread criticising him for "arguing with our paymasters" .........not mentioning why they are our paymasters in the first place!

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/155668-enda-rowing-our-paymasters.html
    Someone saying something stupid on P.ie?

Sorry, I just don't believe you.

johngalway wrote: »
    Oh. No. It. Wasn't.

Lendahand kept on saying, again and again, that it was impossible to renegotiate the deal and FG were making false promises to the Irish people.

The spoofer.

Yes it was. Lenihan was negotiating the interest rate cut in mid January and 2 weeks BEFORE the election, Ollie Rehn said the interest rate could be cut

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1021631.shtml

you're confusing renegotiation of the deal with cutting the interest. Not the same thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

KENNY: Lower the interest rate.

SARKOSY: Raise your corporation tax.

KENNY: Ah for feck sake Sarkosy.

MEDIA: KENNY HAS STRONG WORDS WITH SARKOSY. FINALLY WE HAVE A STRONG TAOISEACH.

Ahem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yes it was. Lenihan was negotiating the interest rate cut in mid January and 2 weeks BEFORE the election, Ollie Rehn said the interest rate could be cut

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1021631.shtml

you're confusing renegotiation of the deal with cutting the interest. Not the same thing!

February.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0210/breaking11.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

mike65 wrote: »
    r u txtn?

No I think he's a dadaist.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Denerick wrote: »

KENNY: Lower the interest rate.

SARKOSY: Raise your corporation tax.

KENNY: Ah for feck sake Sarkosy.

Setting aside the smart comments, interesting to see how this will work out.The EU must have copped on to the fact they can use this as leverage.

I will watch with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Would love to see Sarky take on Ghadaffi on his own:) But of course that won't happen.:)

Berlusconi tried that one :P

notice how Gadaffi wipes his hand afterwards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

galwayrush wrote: »
    Lenehin said on more than a few occasions that any renegotiation of the bailout was impossible.:rolleyes:

There has been no renegotiation either, the Europeans have made soundings that there could be a change but it is in a wider context due to ongoing problems with Greece and Ireland with other probles for Spain and Portugal in the wings. Europe will decide what they want to do and we can shake our rattles all we want and they won't care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I'm afraid I don't quite get the distinction you are drawing here. Is your point that the interest rate might be cut, but (say) any other commitments to put capital into the banks and stick to a particular level of budget deficit would remain?

Just to be clear, I'm coming at this from the perspective of doubt over whether we can repay this level of debt, even if repaid at a rate of 0% interest. Its not as if the money is being used for anything that will produce any financial return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I dont think that Ireland should have to raise their corporation tax.

However, I do believe that the corporation tax hides an underlying problem in our education system. There is a myth in Ireland that our education system is one of the best in the world. It is not. Let me give you an example, When I did an engineering course, it was not possible for me to go to Europe on an exchange program. The reason: The level of Maths taught at European universities was higher than in Ireland. I looked at some exam papers for American universities and compared them to my exam papers here in Ireland, Again the level was a higher standard in America. I am sure there are many examples of this throughout our education system.

The point I am making is that wouldnt it be better for multi-nationals to locate here based on the quality of our graduates rather than low corporation tax. Ireland already has a huge advantage over European countries in that we are an English speaking country. So just getting our graduates on par with European countries, we should still possess an advantage over them. It bugs me that I saw no initative over the last few years to put Ireland in a strong position to raise the corporation tax and not lose any competitiveness. Maybe I am wrong and secondary school students nowadays are far brighter than I goven them credit for.

I dont think Ireland should raise it's corporation tax tomorrow as Europe wants. But I do think Ireland should look at putting in place a strategy for raising corporation tax in the future but the workforce are so strong and talented here that this tax raise will have little influence on whether companies decide to stay here or move elsewhere.

Back on topic, Kenny impressed me. But how foolish was it of Sarkozy to take on a newly elected taoiseach? Kenny really had to choice but to be strong in his viewpoint. If he hadnt been, How would that been portrayed in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Correction they let US be ridden stupid. :mad:

He might if the Brits or Americans were willing to come in to rescue him. ;)
    Besides he would be more interested selling him spares for the old Mirages.
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Berlusconi tried that one :P
    notice how Gadaffi wipes his hand afterwards :P

Ah come on would you blame him on that one ?
    There has been no renegotiation either, the Europeans have made soundings that there could be a change but it is in a wider context due to ongoing problems with Greece and Ireland with other probles for Spain and Portugal in the wings. Europe will decide what they want to do and we can shake our rattles all we want and they won't care

They will care if the government start making noises about default.

Remember biffo made one comment in Japan or somewhere in Far East and the Euro took a hit in the markets.
    All it would take is Enda or someone close to finance portfolio to drop the D word as something that might be better for our countries long term viability and you would Merkel on the phone quick smart.
    After Merkels election, I think it might be time to put a shot across their bows.
    She won't react publicly prior to those elections.

Also drop into any interviews about harmonisation of taxes that there woudl also have to be harmonisation of pensions.

We can cause serious problems for the future of the euro, we can't afford Europe's terms for the bailout so Europe better change it's stance because they now might realise we won't care about them if their cure hurts too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

galwayrush wrote: »
    We can cause serious problems for the future of the euro, we can't afford Europe's terms for the bailout so Europe better change it's stance because they now might realise we won't care about them if their cure hurts too much.

They also have the card that if we default we will have nowhere to go to seek any other finances to run the show while the ship steadies. Just turns it into one long dance with nowhere to go.

• Advertisement

They also have the card that if we default we will have nowhere to go to seek any other finances to run the show while the ship steadies. Just turns it into one long dance with nowhere to go.

The way i see it is,
    We can't afford to default.
    We can't afford to pay the debt.
    So, i think either way, as things stand , it's only a matter of time before we're totally screwed, so something has to change

Advertisement