Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a mega deal if ever I saw one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

.... 'saw' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Looks good alright.

Now to learn how to use it all:)

I was just wondering there,If I bought this with a friend would we both be able to use it at the same time or is there only 1 license per program?I'm not familiar with how these work in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

As far as I know you get one license per item so you will need to purchase a dongle and upload your license info onto it. But you can't copy the dongle so it's one per customer!

Ugh,that dosn't sound good.....But would it still be possible then,if I purchased a dongle,for both of us to use that dongle on each others systems.Thoughts of shellin out a grand nearly for this.....not so good a deal anymore!Cheers for the feedback btw

• Advertisement

bradlente wrote: »
    Ugh,that dosn't sound good.....But would it still be possible then,if I purchased a dongle,for both of us to use that dongle on each others systems.Thoughts of shellin out a grand nearly for this.....not so good a deal anymore!Cheers for the feedback btw

Well why don't you both get 3 packs each because in fairness it will take some time to get to understand each package.

dav nagle wrote: »
    Well why don't you both get 3 packs each because in fairness it will take some time to get to understand each package.

Yeah well that was how we planned to split it anyway,I was just worried that if I used a certain program he wouldn't be able to use any of them basically.I think I'm underestimating some of these anyway,Pianos looks massive!

Yeah well that was how we planned to split it anyway,I was just worried that if I used a certain program he wouldn't be able to use any of them basically.I think I'm underestimating some of these anyway,Pianos looks massive!

Yes apparently the piano is something like 15 gigs per piano and there are four, it is also meant to be very cpu hungry, thats the one I want and the strings, because the Reason/Logic/Pro Tools strings just don't cut the mustard. The rock package is meant to be amazing for bass guitars and massive drum sounds.

Yeah the symphonic package looks very good now.Is there much of a difference in how they package the PC/Mac preference(hardware-wise) when purchasing?I'm a bit confused by it,I understand that for a Pc it would be a Sata drive but do the same rules apply for a mac?I was planning on using it on a Macbook Pro so a Sata drive wouldn't be of much use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    .... 'saw' one.
    Fixed :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Malice wrote: »
    Fixed :).

So that's what Category Mods do then ....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 The Fridge

I got a CCC HD a little while ago, it sounds great. 7 Libraries for €599, nothing wrong with that, me thinks (I was originally considering a halion symphonic orchestra but thats €499 - for one library). You'll need an iLok, probably best to get the new version ilok. You'll get one licence set for one ilok, so whoever has the ilok and hard drive together will be able to use it. Don't know how much extra licences cost, but I'd say its listed on the website, or email there sales people. Using it with a macbook pro, you'll need a hard-drive enclosure, I got mine from macsales.com, was about $70-$80, and was very easy to put together.
    The pianos gold comes with 55Gb of samples, where the full version has up to 263Gb of samples, with different mic positions. Don't know what that upgrade price is, but the samples will be on the hard-drive, you just need the licence to access them. The hard-drive itself come for either windows or mac, not both. Incidently there is very good deals from macsales.com on ram upgrade kits for macbook pro in comparsion apple here.
    Wordbuilder on the Play interface for choirs is fun aswell.

Works a treat for me.

The Fridge wrote: »
    I got a CCC HD a little while ago, it sounds great. 7 Libraries for €599, nothing wrong with that, me thinks (I was originally considering a halion symphonic orchestra but thats €499 - for one library). You'll need an iLok, probably best to get the new version ilok. You'll get one licence set for one ilok, so whoever has the ilok and hard drive together will be able to use it. Don't know how much extra licences cost, but I'd say its listed on the website, or email there sales people. Using it with a macbook pro, you'll need a hard-drive enclosure, I got mine from macsales.com, was about $70-$80, and was very easy to put together.
    The pianos gold comes with 55Gb of samples, where the full version has up to 263Gb of samples, with different mic positions. Don't know what that upgrade price is, but the samples will be on the hard-drive, you just need the licence to access them. The hard-drive itself come for either windows or mac, not both. Incidently there is very good deals from macsales.com on ram upgrade kits for macbook pro in comparsion apple here.
    Wordbuilder on the Play interface for choirs is fun aswell.

Works a treat for me.

Great stuff there, I'll be asking for a credit card limit extension as it's too good a deal to miss in fairness if your into that kind of thing.

Brilliant it has been modified, so you really do have a political verbal power Brewski.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pablo-jericho

Thanks for the info Fridge, extremely helpful. Any chance you could let us know if this following yoke would do the job with the providied internal drive before I buy? I've never even heard of them before! Sorry for noobness..
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW924AL1K/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

Can anyone give any comparision between this and Komplete 7
    would welcome the advice.... undecided witch to go for...

kirb42 wrote: »
    Can anyone give any comparision between this and Komplete 7
    would welcome the advice.... undecided witch to go for...

This is the skunk of the sample industry, I have heard work from a composer who uses this and it's the shizzle. I always found Komplete kompletely clunky.

Pablo, yes thats the enclosure I got, I'm very happy with it, you get everything in the box you need i.e. cables for all connections, usb/fw400+800/esata. Got a great experience from OWC Mac Sales aswell. Its only a case of slipping the drive in, clicking it into place, and screwing it up (excuse the language). You'll need a philips (i think) screw driver, and couple of minutes.
    The only thing I will/need to say is, make sure your usb hub is a good make. The reason I say this is if you are using a macbook pro and you only have 2 usb ports, I'm sure your definitely using a hub for something. I originally had a dlink powered hub which I thought was a good one, probably is for some things, but with trial and error I had quite a bit of trouble with it with regard to it recognising the ew ccc licences from the ilok. Once I changed to a powered belkin I had no trouble.
    I have the ew ccc hd going through the FW800 port first, and the ilok on the hub and all works well.

Don't mean to state the obvious, but in case you hadn't thought of it, as its now delivered in a hard drive format, and you won't be getting any dvd's, make sure you back it up some how, probably best to another drive (1tb drive). You can pick them up most place now pretty reasonable. I think pixmania.ie are the best for storage.

Good idea - also check out this page, $105.99 for 8Gb of RAM for the macbook pro http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3
    if you've not already upgraded your mac laptop RAM you could save a few euro on shipping on getting both at the once. Its approx €400 from the irish apple store. A bit of a difference there. Thats what I did. Everything is going goodo, thank god, touch wood.

Check out Torley on youtube in relation to the ew ccc, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_BrKJwpCo he done quite a few videos on ccc.

You can also subscribe to EWQL on twitter/facebook you'll also get notifications to deals happening with further discounts. They seem do that fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

The Fridge... Thanks for the information... much appreciate the effort,

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Its a great deal although Id still opt for Komplete any day over this. Saying that the 2 arent really all that comparable. These are just straight forward vsti sample libraries, admitedly very large ones with a huge range of styles, genres, velocity layers etc....which may well be all you need. But Komplete has way more expansion options and is way more future proof then any of these. Personally Id opt for Kontakt alone before any of these. Kontakt will most likely play any of those libraries anyway through its own interface which gives you a hell of a lot more tweaking options then the EWQL vsti interface does. It also allows you to create your own patchs from your own sounds whatever the format or source might be....none of those EWQL instruments offers the same....and why would they, they're straight forward instruments, not samplers.

Im not knocking the EWQL stuff as it really does sound amazing. Im more so defending Komplete as its a much more complete (clue is in the name) package.

Another factor to take into account is what you're planning to do with it. For traditional instruments, orchestral, soundtrack type stuff the EWQL stuff will probably do you just fine. If its for a broader range of genres or styles you really shouldnt overlook Komplete. If you need any further proof of that look at the artists section of the Native Instuments page. The guys using it are at the top of their game in almost every imaginable genre...those guys arent using NI stuff because they cant afford any other options.

• Advertisement

The Fridge, ya don't know how much your vote of confidence on all this reassures me, so in that regard I owe ya a pint ;). I won't be using a usb hub for the moment (mainly as I don't have enough money to buy stuff to plug into it, especially after this lot..!), but I'd say I'll need a Firewire 800 hub as I might need to use a firewire interface in tandem with it. The same rule applies tho I'm sure, sound advice.

Yeah I had at least thought to back it up, nice link tho, some cheap!

And yeah I plan on the ram upgrade, my mates gonna get stuff off it too so the shipping fee is no bother.

Torley's vids are actually what convinced me of the quality of the package, it helps that he's a bit class on the keys.. I checked out his newer vids to see how he was using it actually, turns out most of his stuff is dubstep and the like, never seen it comin!

And again, cheers!

Pablo, before you splash out on a hub, you could probably fw daisy chain that ccc hd enclosure (as it as the two fw800 ports) and interface or the interface and the ccc hd, if the interface has 2 fw ports, could save you a few quid on the hub, no harm in giving it a go, could work for you. I have a usb interface, so can't tell how well it will work. Some of the newer motu interfaces now have both firewire and usb on them, I like that idea of having both.

I don't know anything about Komplete7 I'm afraid, but just know from reading on EWQL forum 'some of the older EWQL instruments used to run via NI's Kontakt engine, but a number of years ago, EWQL switched to using their own (newly developed at the time) "Play" engine. The NI related products are no longer sold, and EWQL is no longer affiliated with NI. Some forum members still have and use the old NI related products, but you would want to purchase Play versions of the libraries now.'

A new version of PLAY ie Play 3 (with MAC 64-bit support) is coming out soon and FREE to all registered PLAY users and they are also projecting a release of PLAY PRO later in the year.

I never thought of that... it does indeed have two 800 ports, excellent. I have a motu myself but its firewire only, wouldn't mind havin the usb option now just in case, offers a bit more flexibility.
    How much space will it take up on the Macbook itself if ya dont mind me asking? I'd imagine it isn't too bad considering the bulk of it's on the HDD

Its only about 80Mb as far as I am aware, feck all really, as they are only started from the macbook. I'm still getting used to the mac as it's been a fairly recent purchase, finding out where this information is tough sometimes, just different to windows. On the ew ccc h-drive there's around 779Gb used with also 220Gb free.
    So say if you want to upgrade the pianos to the full version from gold, it will only be a case of getting a licence key to access the information on the h-drive as it is already on the hd, you just need the licence key.

I ordered two ilocks and they only sent 1 but charged for 2:(

Sent them an e-mail,hopefully I'll get word back soon enough.
    Haven't went near the hd yet,looking forward to it though!

Sound, yeah I had assumed as much, thats grand so. Yeah its cool that way, the Terapack trial is a good idea also, win-win situation and ya can buy the licenses whenever.

Its a bumpy enough transition alright, everything is handy when ya get used to it tho, just think simple.. I remember the first time I turned mine on, something like "enter your username and click next" or whatever came up, and I didn't know how to 'click'.. in my defense, since I had just paid a fair few quid for it I wasn't exactly mashing the trackpad. :o I find it hard to even use Windows now, nothing is as it should be!

Its nice to have the space on the hdd too, if you happen to use any other sample libraries etc. Smella steep learning curve off this package for me too, the only experience I have with midi is progamming drums and the like, I can't wait to dive in tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Good value. I like to keep all my software on my laptop HD though and it would take up a hell of a lot of space. I'd have nothing left.

I can't really afford that anyway.

Check out AudioMidi.com for some amazing deals. They keep selling brilliant stuff for 20 dollars. :)

I ordered two ilocks and they only sent 1 but charged for 2:(

Sent them an e-mail,hopefully I'll get word back soon enough.
    Haven't went near the hd yet,looking forward to it though!

Any idea what I should do about this lads?I've sent an E-mail to their sales department through the website,still no reply.They don't seem to have a contact number either:mad:

Bad form on their part.

edit-Just found a number there,not sure what country its from but I'll give it ago.A different E-mail address too so I'll try that as well.

Bradlente hi, Sounds abit crappy alright, feckin stupid shi*e.
    They are in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
    You should get onto Michiel Post - European Sales Manager
    +31 20 4041 687 - mpost@eastwestsounds.com
    He has always been most helpful to me and comes back quick aswell.
    Hope this helps. :)

• Advertisement

The Fridge wrote: »
    Bradlente hi, Sounds abit crappy alright, feckin stupid shi*e.
    They are in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
    You should get onto Michiel Post - European Sales Manager
    +31 20 4041 687 - mpost@eastwestsounds.com
    He has always been most helpful to me and comes back quick aswell.
    Hope this helps. :)

Nice one fridge,very cool:cool:

Advertisement