Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolling

Options
  • 11-03-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just wondering if it matters if a field is rolled before spreadin fertlizer?
    Will it affect grass growth spreading on top of rolled grass?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

mf690 wrote: »
    Just wondering if it matters if a field is rolled before spreadin fertlizer?
    I'v done it before and after and noticed no great difference. Be careful rolling very heavy ground or the top can become very compacted in certain ground conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

We've never had a roller or never rolled (except after sowing grass seed) grassland.

Does it do anything for the grass, except level out the ground and press in stones?? I mean does it help grass to tiller or anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Only levels the ground.
    Avoid doing it if possible as it knocks the air out of the soil which doesn't help grass growth at all

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Like many I used to roll the ground in the Spring but I've given it up in the last few years except after reseeding.

The latest advice seems to be to keep the roller off grassland and try to avoid poaching at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Muckit wrote: »
    We've never had a roller or never rolled (except after sowing grass seed) grassland.

Does it do anything for the grass, except level out the ground and press in stones?? I mean does it help grass to tiller or anything like that?

Ya know I'm not too sure what it does. We usually roll the silage ground which was reseeded in recent years and gets a bit cut up in the backend of the year, having been grazed by the weanlings when they come off the cows, followed by the cows who graze it tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

We roll the silage fields before grass gets to long on them, reason why is to level them out so that we don't end up with clay and stones in the pit. Would do the odd bit of grazing if it needs it and after reseeding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

There should be a ban on rolling any ground with grass on it!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

funny man wrote: »
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

You’re silage contractor wouldn’t agree.;)

pajero12 wrote: »
    Why?

I watch with amazement every year guys turning their silage fields in to striped greens and in the process damage the plant and if it's wet they seal the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

not going to bother rolling, gave a field that had dung put out on it a chain harrowing last weekend and it did a great job on the the few ruts and bit of poaching around the gateways with a few passes
    maybe on the silage ground would it be worth turning it over on the non spikey side would it promote tillering without the compaction?
    as for stones we drive around the headlands every spring after the first grazing or while checking the fence and check for stones branches and pick em up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

I watch with amazement every year guys turning their silage fields in to striped greens and in the process damage the plant and if it's wet they seal the ground.

My contractor won't go in to the field on less it's been rolled and it hasn't affected yield yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we havent used a roller in over 20 years other than for reseeding,

any poached ground gets a rub of the grass harrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

cows will level out any damage done the next time round they are in paddock.
    roller not allowed near paddocks, only roll silage ground cause i dont want a bill for damage to contractors harvester.
    stones grow as quick as grass in some fields around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

snowman707 wrote: »
    we havent used a roller in over 20 years other than for reseeding,

any poached ground gets a rub of the grass harrow
    rolling helps stimulate growth if done at the correct time at least 6 inch of grass and correct weather conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

would you not be better off driving around a field (grazing pastures especially)with an aerator behind the tractor these days instead of a roller? (with fuel prices the way they are??)

I agree on the silage ground comments above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

caseman wrote: »
    rolling helps stimulate growth if done at the correct time at least 6 inch of grass and correct weather conditions

dont see how, but do explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we will agree to differ on that comment especially on the quality of grass you grow, rolling 6 inches of grass is bound kill some herbage and as a result you will have dead material in your forage

grazed bare, a run of the harrow, ideally followed by rain and fertilizer/slurry and you will have a quality sward for grazing or mowing

will fertilizer/feed prices as they are it certainly not cost effective growing inferior quality forage

dar31 wrote: »
    dont see how, but do explain
    from my expericence over the years someting to do with when the stem is broken it takes the energy from the root to stimulate growth will agree with snow might not have top quality silage but i run a spring calving suckler herd so not top of my list i dont let the roller near my pasture

from my expericence over the years someting to do with when the stem is broken it takes the energy from the root to stimulate growth will agree with snow might not have top quality silage but i run a spring calving suckler herd so not top of my list i dont let the roller near my pasture

Classic stuff; "when the stem is broken it takes the energy from the root to stimulate growth", you not only set the plant back but you also create more stem by raising the growing point of the plant. i'd agree fully with dar who lets the cows levell out the rutts or snowman who runs a harrow or dryan with the aerator, anything but roll.

ALL I SAY FOR SOME GUYS ; DIEZZAL IS NOT HALF DEAR ENOUGH!

• Advertisement

Classic stuff; "when the stem is broken it takes the energy from the root to stimulate growth", you not only set the plant back but you also create more stem by raising the growing point of the plant. i'd agree fully with dar who lets the cows levell out the rutts or snowman who runs a harrow or dryan with the aerator, anything but roll.

ALL I SAY FOR SOME GUYS ; DIEZZAL IS NOT HALF DEAR ENOUGH!
    yes agree it sets the plant back for a while but bulks up the crop well as i said im not after top quality silage buy the way where could i buy some diezzal dose it cost much

yes agree it sets the plant back for a while but bulks up the crop well as i said im not after top quality silage buy the way where could i buy some diezzal dose it cost much

it not only reduces the quality but i'd say you lose days/weeks to get the same bulk, so when you say your not after quality what your really saying that you are happy enough to lose money.

I'd say you burn more in a month than i'd burn in a year, head out into a big field and drive around "NOW YOURE SUCKIN DIEZZEL".

it not only reduces the quality but i'd say you lose days/weeks to get the same bulk, so when you say your not after quality what your really saying that you are happy enough to lose money.

I'd say you burn more in a month than i'd burn in a year, head out into a big field and drive around "NOW YOURE SUCKIN DIEZZEL".
    if you only took your time to read my first threads silage cut end of may using mf 65 to roll five gallon will bring her along way and as i said in my other threads spring calving suckler herd so dont need quality and dont use roller an pasture as said in other threads didnt tell me where i could get dazzel

if you only took your time to read my first threads silage cut end of may using mf 65 to roll five gallon will bring her along way and as i said in my other threads spring calving suckler herd so dont need quality and dont use roller an pasture as said in other threads didnt tell me where i could get dazzel

Firstly if you don't need quality why cut at the end of may, i suggest you don't roll, cut a few acres less and cut before the 10th of june and you'll save a few yo-yo's and you won't need to find out where to get the oul diezzal.

Wow, Got some serious experts here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

pajero12 wrote: »
    Wow, Got some serious experts here :rolleyes:

your welcome:D

The aim of rolling is to reduce soil contamination and stone damage to foragers, there is a very limited time period to do it but it should be done when needed. Never had listerious but its caused by soil in the silage, not nice by all accounts, never had a forager blow up either and wouldn't want one

Firstly if you don't need quality why cut at the end of may, i suggest you don't roll, cut a few acres less and cut before the 10th of june and you'll save a few yo-yo's and you won't need to find out where to get the oul diezzal.
    cut the end of may because need to get silage ground into grazing rotation BIG BLACK WRITING dont like it

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

we are same just roll after reseading and mabey the previous year after before silage is cut but only do two rounds around ditches incase snones roll out from ditches .How would stones appear in middle of feilds other than if dung was spread .

bk1991

your welcome:D

The aim of rolling is to reduce soil contamination and stone damage to foragers, there is a very limited time period to do it but it should be done when needed. Never had listerious but its caused by soil in the silage, not nice by all accounts, never had a forager blow up either and wouldn't want one

No, not talking about you :P
    Could you elaborate on soil contamination please?

And the bold text is generally used by mods only ;)

• Advertisement

cut the end of may because need to get silage ground into grazing rotation BIG BLACK WRITING dont like it

I'll leave you alone so, happy rolling!

Advertisement