Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for powerlifters regarding Squat variation?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I was just wondering if the power lifters that frequent this forum ever use the Olympic/Bodybuilding style squat or front squats in their training regimen, or do they just exclusively use powerlifting style squat?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I was just wondering if the power lifters that frequent this forum ever use the Olympic/Bodybuilding style squat or front squats in their training regimen, or do they just exclusively use powerlifting style squat?

Yes, to both, but I wouldn't consider them that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Yes the best assistance for the squat is more squatting..

im assuming a bodybuilding squat is that hands crossed thing...no i dont use that...thats for people who are too lazy to work on there flexability...

Yes the best assistance for the squat is more squatting..

im assuming a bodybuilding squat is that hands crossed thing...no i dont use that...thats for people who are too lazy to work on there flexability...

BB = high bar oly style squat playa

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Front squatting will really help your deadlift, especially when you front squat with using your deadlift stance. If your going to front squat do it after deadlifting.

Hanley wrote: »
    BB = high bar oly style squat playa

i know one BB and he rarely squats...so there ya have it you learn something new every day

thanks bro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Da Za wrote: »
    Front squatting will really help your deadlift especially when you front squat with using your deadlift stance. If your going front squat do it after deadlifting.

-.- it what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

I dont bother with any squat variations, I think its more important to work on perfecting your squat set up and technique, which is what I'm doing currently

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Do any of ye do box squats?

I thought I'd read they were good assistance for equipped lifting. Or is that nonsense.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Do any of ye do box squats?

I thought I'd read they were good assistance for equipped lifting. Or is that nonsense.

box squats are good assistance for both raw and equipped lifting...

I used them a bit this cycle with the SSB on my second squat day...i used them for focusing on hip drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

box squats are good assistance for both raw and equipped lifting...

I used them a bit this cycle with the SSB on my second squat day...i used them for focusing on hip drive

I'd have a different opinion on box squats, I think for the vast majority of people they will prove no benefit.

At a basic level they teach you to sit way back, too far back for an unequipped squat and secondly you relax alot of your tightness when you sit on the box and that's basically the worst possible habit to get into if you're an unequipped squatter.

I really don't get them. I'd welcome anyone explaining to me the benefits though.

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    I'd have a different opinion on box squats, I think for the vast majority of people they will prove no benefit.

At a basic level they teach you to sit way back, too far back for an unequipped squat and secondly you relax alot of your tightness when you sit on the box and that's basically the worst possible habit to get into if you're an unequipped squatter.

I really don't get them. I'd welcome anyone explaining to me the benefits though.

I'd never base my training for a competition off them, but as an off season way to work on some specific aspects of squatting I think they're good. Like get stronger on the box, then go back to regular squats, regroove and use that new 'strength' to squat more weight...

Box squats w/ heavy band tension raw have been really good for my squat. Mainly cos they force you to stay tight and keep driving thru the movement. Which kind of addresses your previous concern about looseness!!

I'd never base my training for a competition off them, but as an off season way to work on some specific aspects of squatting I think they're good. Like get stronger on the box, then go back to regular squats, regroove and use that new 'strength' to squat more weight...

Box squats w/ heavy band tension raw have been really good for my squat. Mainly cos they force you to stay tight and keep driving thru the movement. Which kind of addresses your previous concern about looseness!!

this...but i couldnt be arsed typing it.

If you are going to box squat, ensure that you DON'T rock back on the box and use that momentum to get off the box. This will lead to being an awesome box squatter but you won't be able to squat jack sh*t. This happened to me a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

But in a proper box squat don't you have to relax you hip flexors etc and then "re-engage" them?

Otherwise are you not just using a box to guage depth rather than actually box squatting?

I'm all for different squat variations to mix things up but box squatting fills me with suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I read in an interview that Konstantinovs trains mostly with the Olympic squat.

Just throwing that out there.

Hope you all weren't too far from your shovels.

d'Oracle wrote: »

Good one. Using a guy who's famed for his deadlift as an example of why you should olympic squat.

kevpants wrote: »
    But in a proper box squat don't you have to relax you hip flexors etc and then "re-engage" them?

Otherwise are you not just using a box to guage depth rather than actually box squatting?

I'm all for different squat variations to mix things up but box squatting fills me with suspicion.

Releasing your hip flexors doesn't lead to general looseness all over tho... I think it's more of a cue to explode using your hips anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Doesnt he not compete raw though?A few vids of him where he's doing a full meet its just in a singlet I think.

Good one. Using a guy who's famed for his deadlift as an example of why you should olympic squat.

You are never far from your shovel.
    Also, you should really stop jumping to conclusions about peoples posts.

You are never far from your shovel.
    Also, you should really stop jumping to conclusions about peoples posts.

At least I make meaningful contributions other than just say what I read in interviews.

Humour me, what is Konsti doing mainly olympic squats supposed to mean?

• Advertisement

At least I make meaningful contributions other than just say what I read in interviews.

What he's saying is that not all powerlifters squat low bar sumo stance and high, as people are led to believe from the over exposure that american multiply feds get.

But you knew that

Just throwing it out there for conversations sake, maybe someone might have discussed why that may be. (Instead of accusing me of advocating something I'm not.)

Which is usually considered an alright thing to do, I didn't realise that this had become a closed shop.

Not that I wasn't expecting it would be you shovelling the shít.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Lads, very interesting thread so far. Why not keep it that way instead derailing it?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

What he's saying is that not all powerlifters squat low bar sumo stance and high, as people are led to believe from the over exposure that american multiply feds get.

But you knew that

Competitive powerlifters are gonna which ever way their fed dictates. I know the SPF get a lot of slack for their judging but if that's the way they judge then role with it. If you don't wanna then get off the boat but it is very attractive seeing huge weights being lifted.

All variations of squats have their place but they should be used effectively and programmed accordingly. If you play sports I think box squats are very appropriate as recovery time is very minimal after a session but as I've said all squats have a place.

Da Za wrote: »
    Competitive powerlifters are gonna which ever way their fed dictates. I know the SPF get a lot of slack for their judging but if that's the way they judge then role with it. If you don't wanna then get off the boat but it is very attractive seeing huge weights being lifted.

**** that, i'd rather not compete.

You completely missed my point anyway.

It was more of a what is a powerlifting squat? Depends on the powerlifter.

**** that, i'd rather not compete.

You completely missed my point anyway.

It was more of a what is a powerlifting squat? Depends on the powerlifter.

I know..........I went off point anyway but yeah squatting is very individual, what suits one won't/mightn't suit another person.

That type of judging seems to be mainly in the multiply divisions and well we all know RAW squatting is a different ball game.

Oh like I said if you don't like the way they judge just never compete in that fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

box squats help sell boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Meh, I don't think 99.9999% of people need to worry about squat variation. The biggest strongest guys I know don't know a damn thing about squat variation!!!!!! They just SHUT UP AND SQUAT!!!!!

If you need to squat a different way for a particular sport (e.g. I'm trying to do oly and front squats for some weekend warrior weightlifting) then there's reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I'm not even remotely a big squatter or anything yet but I've improved plenty without knowing/trying a damn thing in terms of squat variation. I guess some people might hate seeing people like that though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement