Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing a 'quota' for femal politicians

Options
  • 10-03-2011 8:50pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

During the election campaign this idea was being mentioned quite frequently by candidates, both independents and those with party affiliations.

While it would be great to have more female politicians, but I don't think that forcing parties to run a certain number of female candidates or reserving a certain number of seats for female TDs is really the way to go.

Allocating a certain number of seats for female TDs would not guarantee that the best candidates (or the best on offer) would be sitting in the Dail or involved in the running of our country. Indeed, such positive discrimination could actually have a negative impact on the political system, with good candidates being excluded from elections due to the fact that they're the wrong gender. Given the current situation in which this country finds itself, surely it's better to have the best candidates/TDs we can get rather than just simply electing somebody based on their gender?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭ted1

totally againest the quota thing. best person for the job is what i say.

If they were to bring in a quote why stop at sex, lets bring in age brackets, skin colour, hair colour, place of birth. the only good on ei can think of is a max number of teachers. they should bring in a minimum level of qualification...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd like to know how many female candidates stood. I read it was about 15% of the total and a quick count suggests 15.76% of successful candidates were female so it's not like they have less chance of getting elected if they choose to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

There was 10 page thread on this very topic in this forum not so long ago...

here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Ooops... Missed that... Turns out my viewing was set at '2 months', which explains why it didn't turn up when I did a search! :o

Feel free to merge the threads if you deem necessary.

Advertisement