Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The world to an 18 year old

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

am i still up omg god dam interweb wasent there back in the day ya know:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

holding the "rabbit's ears" while getting orders barked at you when the aerial was acting up??....yes, i WAS the youngest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Namle

Do you remember when hitting the tv a smack actually fixed the picture? But then the man would eventually have to come out and replace "the tube".

Anise seed balls. God I loved those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Aniseed balls are still around I do believe.

Namle wrote: »
    Do you remember when hitting the tv a smack actually fixed the picture? But then the man would eventually have to come out and replace "the tube".

but the tube cost a fortune to replace and then there was the row.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

suzzi wrote: »
    Namle wrote: »

but the tube cost a fortune to replace and then there was the row.....:mad:

Would get Radio Rentals round with a new one if the magic picture box in the corner broke.

ah, good old radio rentals....£6 a week for rental of telly and new hugh betamex....and paying installments monthly!......and buying the unit to hold the telly and video in bargintown (ikea eat your heart out).....found the receipts when i moved....

ps the "picture house" was where you met "inside" for the sat. afternoon date.....then you knew he was a tight git!!!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

suzzi wrote: »
    ah, good old radio rentals....£6 a week for rental of telly and new hugh betamex....and paying installments monthly!......and buying the unit to hold the telly and video in bargintown (ikea eat your heart out).....found the receipts when i moved....

ps the "picture house" was where you met "inside" for the sat. afternoon date.....then you knew he was a tight git!!!!...

For me it was meeting under "Dickie Lewis" A statue of a naked man above the main entrance to Lewis's in Liverpool. Had to make sure you dressed well though as you never knew where the young lady wanted to go for the evening from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Aniseed balls are still around I do believe.

You'd probably get them at Kavanagh's in Aungier Street. It is a veritable shrine to Dentistry :D. Rum&Butter are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭feet of flame

How about when cars had points, manual choke, no power steering and wouldnt start on a damp morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How about when cars had points, manual choke, no power steering and wouldnt start on a damp morning.

...and the seatbelts were an optional extra and you had to manually adjust them to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Wish I had one like that now. The sort you didn't need a Masters degree in computer studies to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

The street lights in Skerries used to be switched off at 11.30 p.m.!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i remember the days when one had to actually memorise phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

ohh god just come to realisation that im an auld wan!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Congratulations! Bet thats a weight off your shoulders. Welcome to best 1/3 of your life.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

alanajane wrote: »
    ohh god just come to realisation that im an auld wan!! :D

I've just had the same epiphany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

OldGoat wrote: »
    Congratulations! Bet thats a weight off your shoulders. Welcome to best 1/3 of your life.

1/3? Hmmmmmm! Being a bit pessamistic today OG? Or are you an inverted optimist? However, as you have the power ........... I'll agree :p

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

How about when cars had points, manual choke, no power steering and wouldn't start on a damp morning.

There is a slight hill beside our house, many a cold morning was spent pushing the car around the corner onto the hill, then jumping in and rolling all the way down until the car started......It always worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

We rented our tv in the 70's.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

itac wrote: »
    You don't ever have to save to buy anything-just put it on the credit/laser card....

Irish currency has always been euros and cents, not pounds and pence..*

Soap has always come in liquid format...

By the by, I was out doing the shopping the other day and I had to get soap. Mrs Zag normally gets such things while I focus on things like cornflakes, beer & other essentials. I went up and down the aisles muttering to myself "where've the put the damn soap" for about 10 minutes before stopping and asking someone. He brought me down to the middle of the detergent and other stuff (where I had already looked) and pointed down to a row on the bottom level where there was a grand total of 5 or 6 different soaps taking up all of a meter or so of shelf space.

There was tons of the bottles and dispensers of liquid goo, but the actual bars of soap seem to have dropped right off the market. All the same it brought me back - I had to choose between some nasty looking own brand, Imperial Leather (always thought it was lather as a kid) and Lux or something. I went for Lux. We now smell like old people. Mrs Zag is doing the shopping next time.

z

If you go to the right shop, you can still buy Coal Tar Soap and Sunlight Soap! You'll be squeaky clean! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Ah the memories this thread has brought back
    Tapping phones - never paid for a phone when I was a teenager
    Getting the first colour tv and all the oulwans on the road coming in for a look and being shocked that Rita Fairclough had red hair.
    Like other posters my little sister was the remote control
    Buying a block of ice cream on the way home from Sunday mass to have with my Mam's apple tart and leaving it wrapped in newspaper so it didn't melt while we had our dinner.
    Buying ice cream wafers in the local shop where they had a stainless steel gadget with the sizes marked out on it. Do ya want a 4d or 6d wafer ?
    I remember my Dad buying these light switches that hung from the main ceiling lights in the bedrooms which meant you could turn off the big light without getting out of bed. Health and safety me a**e
    Breaking your flask on the way home from school and being able to buy a replacement insert for it.
    Kids today, don't know how how lucky they are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 north cider

what was "tapping phones" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

On the old analog phones if you clicked the cutoff switch on the phone cradle it would send an electrical impulse to the phone exchange. If you tapped it once it sent one pulse, if you tapped twice it sent two pulses, three taps for three pulses and so on. So if you wanted to dial the number 1234 you would
    Tap
    pause
    Tap tap
    pause
    Tap tap tap
    pause
    Tap tap tap tap
    To send a zero you just used the dial.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

cassette recorders were space age when they came out. Milk bottles. Mr freeze's,oasises(anyone remember oasis)

dr ro wrote: »
    cassette recorders were space age when they came out. Milk bottles. Mr freeze's,oasises(anyone remember oasis)

Cassette recorders - yep!
    Milk bottles - yep! and miss 'em madly!
    Mr freeze's oasis - :confused: huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Looking at a VCR and saying wow what technology! whereas now an 18 yr old says wow, a cool antique...:D

Advertisement