Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams : Knife through Butter ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

i would say it is a service to the language in that he is speaking it whether it be good or bad, any kind of promotion for the language is a good thing in my eyes.

When it's a matter of using Irish for the sake of using Irish, and without achieving the standard appropriate for effective communication, then I don't see it as having any value in promoting the language. That sort of empty tokenism is more likely to alienate people than win them over.

It comes down to a question of appropriate use. I think it fine for a person with weak Irish to use it among friends (so long as they don't mind) or in a learning/practising situation. In more formal situations, I am happy to see Irish used, but only to the extent that a person can use it adequately. That does not mean dissuading people with limited Irish from using it; rather it means that those with limited Irish should use it in a limited way -- perhaps a sentence or two that is truly within their ambit.
    M three wrote: »
    Totally, lets go out and ban everyone who speaks irish the way you dont like.

Where did I say that?
    Anymore brilliant ideas?

Yes: don't ascribe to people views that they do not have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Gusty spence can speak Irish better than him.

:rolleyes:
    Like you would know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think my issue with him is I know he is much smarter than the stuff he comes out with but has to talk nonsense to appeal to certain types of voters. Its more believable from Mary Lou McDonald because I could imagine her believing what she's saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I think my issue with him is I know he is much smarter than the stuff he comes out with but has to talk nonsense to appeal to certain types of voters. Its more believable from Mary Lou McDonald because I could imagine her believing what she's saying.
    Like what?

I think my issue with him is I know he is much smarter than the stuff he comes out with but has to talk nonsense to appeal to certain types of voters....

He doesn't have to; he chooses to.

I suspect his posturing will create an upper limit for the SF vote not far from where it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Like what?

Stuff he came out with on the televised election debate and interviews. Just every time he talked in my head I was thinking "you don't believe what you're saying Gerry, you're dumbing things down to win votes from idiots"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

It comes down to a question of appropriate use. I think it fine for a person with weak Irish to use it among friends (so long as they don't mind) or in a learning/practising situation. In more formal situations, I am happy to see Irish used, but only to the extent that a person can use it adequately. That does not mean dissuading people with limited Irish from using it; rather it means that those with limited Irish should use it in a limited way -- perhaps a sentence or two that is truly within their ambit.

So, I have pass leaving cert level Irish, when and where can I use it? This saddens me. It's attitudes like this that put people off trying to use Irish, for fear of derision by those who are lucky enough to speak it better. To this day, I drop my kid off to the gaelscoil and I get in a fluster when the teacher speaks to me in Irish, because people like you have it in my head that I shouldn't try if I'm not good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gusty spence can speak Irish better than him.

I suspect that is the truth. Stephen King too.

Quackles wrote: »
    So, I have pass leaving cert level Irish, when and where can I use it? This saddens me. It's attitudes like this that put people off trying to use Irish, for fear of derision by those who are lucky enough to speak it better. To this day, I drop my kid off to the gaelscoil and I get in a fluster when the teacher speaks to me in Irish, because people like you have it in my head that I shouldn't try if I'm not good enough.

Don't misrepresent what I say in order to put me into a "people like you" box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

surely 32 counties will mean 32 different accents

An accent is not defined by a county border ;)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Who cares if his Irish is bad, fair play to him for using it

Fair play indeed.

I'm trying, and struggling in my 40's, to finally learn Irish.

So I'm encouraged when someone who isn't totally fluent in the language has the courage to use it like Gerry has.

Hey, while we're at it - lets have a go at Prionsias de Rossa and his stammer eh!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

He doesn't have to; he chooses to.

I suspect his posturing will create an upper limit for the SF vote not far from where it is now.

You probably thought the same thing before the last election.

Now you reckon you know what the irish electorate is going to do in the next election, thats a good one.

M three wrote: »
    You probably thought the same thing before the last election.

I did think that some of what Gerry Adams said during the campaign cost them votes.
    Now you reckon you know what the irish electorate is going to do in the next election, thats a good one.

I used the verb "suspect"; that is not the same as "know".

[I thought this thread was about Gerry Adams. Why do people want to discuss me?]

Stuff he came out with on the televised election debate and interviews. Just every time he talked in my head I was thinking "you don't believe what you're saying Gerry, you're dumbing things down to win votes from idiots"
    Well that is Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams for you. Play on peoples emotions, play on myths, make sure myths fly on kites as they say and just wait for people to buy into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

chucken1 wrote: »
    I agree with everything there bar picking someone else to be singled out for 'their accent'. :)

I wasnt picking on anyones accent lol I meant Wallace could barely speak he wasnt prepared and Ming sounds very soft.I know Wallace i know he knows how to make money but i dont like him so much.Ming i dont agree with his drugs and wanting to pass get it legalized,(only for health reasons would i agree) But both managed to get in there with a huge amount of votes,so i will retain my views till i see a bit more of them.

bitter wrote: »
    :(
    what?
    i agree with you for the most part as you probably know from previous threads, but i have to say i liked ming in the dail today i thought he spoke well and wouldnt let the 'regulars' unearth him. speaking of 'regulars' i found it very irritating that the dail was silent when fg/lab/ff were making their speeches but as soon as sf and the rest were making theirs it sounded like someone talking in the corner of a crowded room.
    I agree quite rude and typical.
    Einhard wrote: »
    Are you serious? Ireland is up to her elbows in debt, had a €20 billion deficit last year and, exlcuding the banks, will have incurred at least a €100 billion deficit between 2008-2013, has had to invite in the IMF to fund current expenditure, and it's somehow a happy time for the country?!:confused:

Yes i am serious as i am confident that they are a strong party and with good values for the Irish people.They also wont let anything pass us by and will stand up against the new government of you want to call them that.As for me taking 14 grand off your wages is nothing more than a empty gesture.
    What was it he said,i will look into cheaper transport for the ministers?Em how about getting in a car and driving your lazy asses there yourselves?Yous arent gods :rolleyes: I am not convinced of fg or lab anymore i see them as twins of ff.
    And yes i am content with Gerry being in there because at least i know he is on side of trying to make Ireland better for Irish people and not just for their own families and buddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

caseyann wrote: »
    Gerry is a great man and decent person,anyone who knows him will say the same and anyone who gives him the time of day will tell you how intelligent he is.

A Great man my ars* who supported (and was possibly part of) the Provisional IRA :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

LordSutch wrote: »
    A Great man my ars* who supported (and was possibly part of) the Provisional IRA :mad:

i suggest you get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I really can't forget what he stands/stood for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Gone slightly off topic, I think.

OP was about Gerry and his voice (not accent) and his use of Irish.

To me his voice really grates. It is that deep sound like Pat Jennings and Arsene Wenger - see it's not an accent thing - but I do not want to go off topic so I hope Gerry keeps the length of his Dáil contributions to a reasonable level whether "as Gaeilge" or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've struggled too, and with good reason.

His men killed my comrades, and members of AGS. But I accepted that as part of the peace process in Ireland I had to look forward and not hold onto the past.

You say you can't "forget what he stands/stood for" - personally I draw a line thought the part "what he stands/stood for", because I don't believe their one and the same anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

and as for enda kenny was it not him that wanted to make irish optional in schools, thats what i would call a diservice

Nope, it's the first sensible thing the Irish state has suggested. The Irish state has consistently poisoned the language for generations of Irish people, and the results are clear for all to see.

I don't think Irish should be taught in schools at all. If people want to learn it, let them learn it in the community, where it belongs. It's been abused as a political football for too long.

Also, Gerry Adams is a great man and I'm delighted to see someone of his calibre in Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

When it's a matter of using Irish for the sake of using Irish, and without achieving the standard appropriate for effective communication, then I don't see it as having any value in promoting the language. That sort of empty tokenism is more likely to alienate people than win them over.

It comes down to a question of appropriate use. I think it fine for a person with weak Irish to use it among friends

so we wont promote our language unless we have it off to a tee, we wont commend somebody for making an effort to use it. i really dont see how not having the perfect grasp of a language can alienate people. and as for effective communication i think gerry communicated his point regardless of how perfect his irish is, every time he has had a conversation in irish that ive seen he has communicated very well whoever was conversing with him has always answered questions or replied to whatever was said.

i suppose i can understand your point because i cant forget what unionist/loyalist scum stand for mainly the invasion and occupation of this country, the murder, torture,etc of irish people for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

maccored wrote: »
    i suggest you get over it.

NOT an easy thing to do when you have had a niece who was at the IRA bombing of the Arndale center in Manchester and subsequently died of cancer at the age of 29 medically believed to have been brought on by shock...I find it damn near impossible to "Get over it":mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I thought his opening speech was powerful. As for his command of Irish, if you were a real Irish speaker - "Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Béarla cliste" would hit home for you. Gerry's Irish is actually decent and he's very comfortable using it to have a conversation. He may not be 100% fluent, but at least he makes the effort.

NOT an easy thing to do when you have had a niece who was at the IRA bombing of the Arndale center in Manchester and subsequently died of cancer at the age of 29 medically believed to have been brought on by shock...I find it damn near impossible to "Get over it":mad:

Sorry for the loss of your niece. Many of the IRA attacks are condemnable. I'm unsure exactly how shock can lead to cancer. I'd be interested in seeing a medical journal to support this.

As for "getting over it" - I'm always amazed at how quick people are to get over British attacks on Irish civilians in an effort to "move forward" - but are more than happy to look back on IRA violence. I don't oppose it by the way, and I think it's important to remember some atrocities like Enniskillen, but we need to be balanced about this.

Sorry for your loss. I know people who are in your situation too. Your niece will be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

dlofnep wrote: »
    Sorry for the loss of your niece. Many of the IRA attacks are condemnable. I'm unsure exactly how shock can lead to cancer. I'd be interested in seeing a medical journal to support this.

As for "getting over it" - I'm always amazed at how quick people are to get over British attacks on Irish civilians in an effort to "move forward" - but are more than happy to look back on IRA violence. I don't oppose it by the way, and I think it's important to remember some atrocities like Enniskillen, but we need to be balanced about this.

well put, i was tryin to say something similar myself without trying to sound too insensitive. again sorry for your loss op but i really think an ira bomb and cancer have no connection. im no doctor or medical expert but id say a lot of them would agree. noo offence but it does sound like a bit of anti republican spin

Sorry for your loss. I know people who are in your situation too. Your niece will be remembered.

Strangely enough, I've never once seen you post "They will be remembered" in any thread related to Bloody Sunday, or any other attacks by British or loyalist paramilitaries. Nice opportunistic posting there Keith ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

died of cancer at the age of 29 medically believed to have been brought on by shock

Sorry for your loss...but that ^^^ ...eh? :confused:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Strangely enough, I've never once seen you post "They will be remembered" in any thread related to Bloody Sunday, or any other attacks by British or loyalist paramilitaries. Nice opportunistic posting there Keith ;)
    Didn't see a victim of BA in this thread. Unless i missed it.

Advertisement