Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Three-Piece Bands Ever

Options
  • 09-03-2011 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hey peopole :)

just wanna know who u tink ar the best three piece bands ever? :) i know, random :P

Thanks guys! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sugababes.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I have to say Rush aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rockintothebone

greenday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

From the top of my head the only bands I can think of are Nirvana, Green Day, Blink-182 and Two Door Cinema Club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

mf14 wrote: »
    hey peopole :)

just wanna know who u tink ar the best three piece bands ever? :) i know, random :P

Thanks guys! :D

mf14: Please proofread your posts before submitting and don't inflict txt spk on the rest of us. You've got a full keyboard, please use it.

Moved to Music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DrGonzo111

nothing comes close to The Band Of Gypsys, Buddy Miles on drums/vocals, Billy Cox-bass and Hendrix! that live album recorded at the fillmore east NYC new years eve/day 1969/1970 is so good it still scares me. esp the versions of Message of Love and Machine Gun. pure genius and funky as ****! its the only live hendrix concert (that ive heard) where the audience is totally silent during the songs, i.e. you dont hear idiots calling out for "Play Purple Haze Man" , the crowd are just stunned at what they are watching, a man totally possessed, and a band as tight as a mosquito's asshole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cream or Rush or Burning Tree or, ah one of them. The Jam were pretty damned good.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

I would have to say Nirvana or REM. Two very different groups but none the less very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Muse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Supremes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Nirvana
    Therapy
    The Fall Of Troy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pixies.

Also REM are not a 3 piece band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

lordgoat wrote: »
    Pixies.

Also REM are not a 3 piece band.

They are since Bill Berry left.

Also Pixies are not a 3 piece band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Jimi Hendrix Experience.

As for todays bands, I like Band Of Skulls

Nirvana, green day (back in the day before they were, what, a seven piece?!) Therapy?, kerbdog and throwing muses.

Btw, I would not categorise beastie boys as a three piece either. I'm sure there's a dj in there somewhere!

Edited to add: yes it's the jimi hendrix trio. I doubt anything will ever come close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

for me its between muse and green day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Jimi Hendrix Experience without a doubt
    difference with the likes of Muse who have addittional live members so they arent a true three piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Babes in Toyland sprang to my mind immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The Police*

*yes, I realise the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

John Zorn's Moonchild, of course not including John Zorn himself, who's the composer.
    Morbid Angel were awesome when they were a three-piece.
    Fun Lovin' Criminals, love their stuff.
    Tomahawk are currently a three-piece.
    Primus, of course!
    Immortal.
    Taste (Rory Gallagher's first record releasing band, for those who don't know)
    The Beastie Boys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

+ 1 for Rush.

I'd also nominate the original three-piece Elton John Band, with Elton on piano, Dee Murray on bass and Nigel Olsson on drums, as best heard on the live album 17-11-70.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Ash.

I know they became a four-piece, but they were at their best as a three-piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Early Rory Gallagher band perhaps? Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double trouble?? Jimi Hendrix???

How about Motorhead, they are a three piece if memory serves

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

Has to be Taste, Hendrix Experience and Cream - in that order. Rory Gallagher and Taste has be top of the list.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

A lot of three-piece bands with great guitarists mentioned here, so it's only appropriate to add another great to the list, Jeff Healey.

Here he is with his band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The Flaming Lips

Alright when they play shows there's five of them, and I think Kliph's been a 'proper' member since Embryonic, but when they made Zaireeka, The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, it was just Wayne, Steven and Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Rush.

Thread can be locked now.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The Shaggs

Advertisement