Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scriptwriting

Options
  • 08-03-2011 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

OK guys, here goes....

I did a BA (media communications) years and years ago. I realised quite quickly that journalism was not my forte, but found the creative writing aspect really enjoyable. In fact, I often topped my class.

Thing is, it has always been my dream to write, not a novel, but scriptwriting.

After 10 years working in Ireland I have now found myself out of work. Financially I am OK for the time being and think this is the time to follow my dream.

I have looked at numerous courses to do through FAS, etc, but nothing appeals as I know what I want to do.

The only problem is I do not know where to begin.

Is there anyone out there that works as a scriptwriter or who knows anything about the business at all in Ireland? I'd imagine it is quite a small market here. Would it be better for me to pitch anything I wrote to the UK?

Ideally I'd love to put together a short 2-part series (comedy/drama).

Any input at all is appreciated. I did see an earlier post about scriptwriting software that I can download for free.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/ - BBC Writers Room. They read all unsolicited scripts - actively request them, in fact.

http://www.amazon.com/Screenplay-Foundations-Screenwriting-step-step/dp/0440576474

Before you get to that stage, you might want to buy/borrow a copy of Syd Field's classic Screenplay. It's the original how-to for beginning screenwriters and is still extremely popular.

But maybe nothing is as effective as reading great plays for stage and screen and seeing how its done.

good luck! (and the Oscar goes to...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Cheers Cosbie, that's really helpful and much appreciated.

Listen out for your name in the acceptance speech ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

In Ireland and the UK it's the norm to approach production companies and try to get one of them to option your script.

They will then approach television stations and try to get the series commissioned. The best way to do that is to research the production companies and approach those who make the type of programme you are writing. Then either follow their submissions process or check with them and find out what it is. Never approach a company that doesn't produce your genre and always follow their submissions guidelines.

You can find out about a number of Irish companies here; http://www.iftn.ie/production/production_companies/production_sub/broadcast/ and the Writer's Handbook lists all/most of the UK ones.

Alternatively, television stations do rarely commission from a script but tbh, it is rare, even on the BBC. Info on commissioning here; http://www.iftn.ie/production/tv_commissions/

You will need to have a treatment prepared, usually a logline, a pitch (the sell) and a synopsis of your story. It's also a good idea to have a script written when you start approaching. I know opinion differs on this but if you don't have a body of existing (relevant) work, anyone interested in your idea will want to see if you can actually write and your script is how you show them.

When you are planning your series idea one (utterly unartistic) thing you will need to bear in mind is budget. Drama is incredibly expensive to make and Irish/British channels don't have huge budgets. So no matter how good your script and idea is, if it will be too expensive to make you will find it extremely hard to sell it. Too many locations, too many speaking parts, scenes in busy public areas and special effects are all very costly.

And lastly. You might be surprised by how little you may be offered for your script if you sell it. It's not usually a route to great wealth. Take a look at the British minimum rates agreement for a rough guide; http://www.writersguild.org.uk/about-us/rates-agreements

Iguana - brilliant advice, thank you.

To be honest, I do actually have a lot of faith in my ability. Friends have been at me to do it for years but it was always a case of not having the time (or the nerve!). I have it now.

I'm not going into this to make millions (although it it were to happen I'd hardly knock it back).... but there is nothing else I really want to do. I do understand I sound like an X Factor contestant here :)

Thank you both for your invaluable advice.

Time to get writing....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Would have to second the advice on Syd Field's books, anything by Field on the topic will really help you to get started, he often lays out explicitly where you'll need plot-points and action to occur in order to have your script read, and hopefully enjoyed.

It sounds vaguely clinical on the page, but when put into use during the writing process, it does help you to 'clean-up' what you've produced.

Also, don't forget competitions etc, having a short time-frame in which to produce something specific is often great inspiration!

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks Bigsmokeireland

I will get the book that's been recommended.

Where is the best place to look out for competitions? That's a great idea and not anything I ever really thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Field is okay to get the basics but is not as great a bible as many make it out to be.

All you should look to get from Field is a basic understanding of the three act structure.

The rest you will get from reading tons and tons of screenplays and analysing them and breaking them down.

I would almost advise you to forgo the book. As this website does the same, for free and better:

http://thedarksalon.blogspot.com/

You should go through the articles there first, and see how much of a grasp you come out with before deciding whether to go further re buying field's bible.

Tons of free scripts can be found on www.imsdb.com. Try and read scripts of the kind of film you want to write. The best way is to read a script, then watch the movie to see how it translates and then read the script once more.

If you really want to make progress, you could spend a couple of days analysing and breaking down the scripts in detail but that is hard, tedious work.

The next stop are the Done Deal Pro forums:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/

This is the best screen writing community I've found online and has a wealth of information, screenplay, feedback and tips.

In summary: Learn about the 3 - act structure, get a copy of Save the Cat's beat sheet (google usually does it.) Read articles on Alexandra's website, read screenplays oh and most importantly: WRITE screenplays.

Good luck.

P.S. Perhaps even more important, watch the movies that are being made today and see how the craft is executed there. You can often find scripts of the latest releases(at least the Hollywood ones) so if you saw a movie you liked, read the script.

Thanks memnoch,

As it happens I have just ordered Syd Field's book. I got it online (free delivery) for under 9e so that's OK.

I really appreciate you taking the time to type all that for me and thanks for all the links.

I feel like I am embarking on a huge (but exciting) venture. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 IgnatiusJ

Thanks for all the info here - I had a similar question to Sunflower27's so this has been very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

Hi OP, and others.

One route I think is worth considering is having a crack at Fair City. With 208 episodes a year, they don't have time to hang around, so obviously most of the writing work does go to experienced TV writers. That being said, they have a policy of keeping the team fresh, and they do regular give shots to new people. The script editors are very generous with help and advice, and they do know their stuff.

I know soap opera isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's a great place to learn some of the fundamentals. It's also a great line to have on your CV if you want to look for other script work.

I can give people a few pointers on how to approach it, if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement

That would be interesting Long Room Hubba. Although it might be worthy of it's own thread? Have you worked as a writer on FC?

iguana wrote: »
    That would be interesting Long Room Hubba. Although it might be worthy of it's own thread? Have you worked as a writer on FC?

Yes, I did some story and scripts. I haven't worked on it for a while, and
    I don't have any trade secrets, but if there's any interest I can certainly start a thread.

Yes, I did some story and scripts. I haven't worked on it for a while, and
    I don't have any trade secrets, but if there's any interest I can certainly start a thread.

I definitely think it's worth a thread. Staff writing is something of a different ball-game to the type of screenwriting normally discussed on here. But it's definitely an interesting area to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

A lot of the advice above is good - except I would advise not to read any of those books, do any courses or read any screenplays until you write your first script / scripts.

The only way you will make it as a screenwriter is to have your own voice. That's what execs look for - not just killer ideas. Then once you've written your first drafts re-read and rewrite your script. Perhaps then get someone you trust to read the scripts. Then and only then would I suggest you start reading books on screenwriting, or attend courses etc.

The fact that you state you want to write a two parter is interesting and suggests that you have an idea in mind. Great - but it must suit that format. Does it have legs to be a series instead of a serial? Is it precinct based or location heavy? As stated above costs are important - even low production value shows are expensive. An ep of Eastenders around £300k per hour. Spooks around £1.2million To give a rough spread. Er was reportedly around $40mil per episode. RTE productions are around the *€550k per hour - which is very low. Sometimes they can raise that by going co-pro.

Once you've written your script and are happy enough with it that you want to get it placed - try and get an agent. Most decent production companies won't read spec scripts unless they come through an agent. There aren't many literary agents in Ireland who rep screenwriters. Most screenwriters will have UK based agents. Get a copy of screenwriters handbook for addresses and details of agents and production companies.

Check Mandy.com for people looking for scriptwriters. A lot of short filmmakers will advertise there and it may well be worth you cutting your teeth on a short film first. That way you can be on set and see how production works.

The state of the industry at the moment is very poor. Given that it provides opportunities for new talent as new talent = cheep. The other thing it buys you is time. Don't rush anything. You generally only get one shot at an agent or production company -

Software - if you want to be taken seriously it's Final Draft and nothing else. FD is now industry standard.

Grow a thick skin and get used to rejection. Writers are quite low in the pecking order and we get dicked around a lot.

If I can think of anything else I'll post it up.

I think I agree with every single thing Fatboydim has said. One particular thing that I would stress is the need for a thick skin.

If you are a professional writer, people will reject your work. They will often do this because they do not like it. That is their right.

Of course it's not fun for the writer, but it will happen, and we have to find a way to react with grace and intelligence.

iguana wrote: »
    I definitely think it's worth a thread. Staff writing is something of a different ball-game to the type of screenwriting normally discussed on here. But it's definitely an interesting area to explore.

I've thought about this, and I feel a bit nervous about doing it. I still have a lot of friends on the show, and a lot of people whose work I admire. I would hate to say anything in a public forum that might be misconstrued to embarrass or annoy them.

Not that I'm planning to say anything abusive, but you know how these things can go.

Having said that, I'm very happy to talk to anyone about my experiences, either offline or over a coffee somewhere. I'm Dublin-based at the moment. If FC is something you're really interested in, drop me a PM at some stage and we'll go from there.

Fatboydim - that was really helpful. Thanks so much.

I am really pleased I posted this now as I have got some great feedback :)

I was using Celtx as I don't have a load of money at the moment. I saw Final Draft online for 250e. Any ideas where I may get it a bit cheaper?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

If anybody here is looking for courses in Scriptwriting, we're hosting a workship with the esteemed Virginia Gilbert tomorrow (19th March). You can find details here:
    http://www.bigsmokewritingfactory.com/Courses_introfilmtvradio.php

Fatboydim - that was really helpful. Thanks so much.

I am really pleased I posted this now as I have got some great feedback :)

I was using Celtx as I don't have a load of money at the moment. I saw Final Draft online for 250e. Any ideas where I may get it a bit cheaper?

For where you're at now - Celtx will do the job. Then when you can afford it go for Final Draft.

You can download the demo version of FD and try it out for free. There may even be old versions on sale at cheaper prices. It's on Version 8 at the moment but anything from 6 upward is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Fatboydim wrote: »

Software - if you want to be taken seriously it's Final Draft and nothing else. FD is now industry standard.

I'm lost here. Are you saying a script formatted properly with another program won't be the same?

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm lost here. Are you saying a script formatted properly with another program won't be the same?

If you send someone a printed script properly formatted it won't make a difference. A trend lately when sending spec scripts is to send them as PDFs - most software allows you to convert your script to PDF format.

But if you actually are commissioned and in production - then you will most likely have to deliver the script in Final Draft format. This is essential with TV productions because of the fast turnover. When you need to track changes and add pink and blues etc.

In film there may be a little more leeway due to the fact that companies can be formed around a single project. But I would say 90% of production companies Film or TV use or expect you to use Final Draft.

If you send someone a printed script properly formatted it won't make a difference. A trend lately when sending spec scripts is to send them as PDFs - most software allows you to convert your script to PDF format.

But if you actually are commissioned and in production - then you will most likely have to deliver the script in Final Draft format. This is essential with TV productions because of the fast turnover. When you need to track changes and add pink and blues etc.

In film there may be a little more leeway due to the fact that companies can be formed around a single project. But I would say 90% of production companies Film or TV use or expect you to use Final Draft.

Thanks Fatboydim.... I think it's best if I just fork out for Final Draft now. I may as well get used to using it anyway. Do you know where is the best place to buy it?

Screenplay is on the way and should be here next week so I plan to read that as a refresher course. It was a long time ago that I did my degree and realised I had a talent... am quite nervous to be honest, but am just going to go for it now. :D

http://www.thescreenwritersstore.co.uk/
    £149.99

£109.95 for academic version. Just pretend you're a student again.

http://www.thescreenwritersstore.co.uk/
    £149.99

£109.95 for academic version. Just pretend you're a student again.

Fantastic. Thank you. That comes to 160e. A lot less than I thought it would.

Off to flex the plastic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I've always wanted to write a book, and I found Nanowrimo brilliant when I was starting. It's where you write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. It helps you get your ideas down, and you polish it in the months afterwards. There's great camaraderie on the discussion boards, and it's free.

The also do a version in April for scriptwriters called Script Frenzy which starts in April. It might help you get past the awkward first few stages. http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/

Either way, best of luck :D

Oooh, that sounds interesting, i-digress. Thanks a million.

Have been reading Screenplay - it's really informative and very easy to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

Filmbase were selling Final Draft software for under €200, check out their website, and I think that being a member makes things cheaper.

Have used Final Draft to write a TV drama script recently, with a co-writer, and we found it worked really well. We could work online, using Skype and the collabo-writer facility to work on script together.

If only broadband providers were as efficient and user friendly as Final Draft.
    Easy to learn as you go, and if you want it read out, it does that too, although it is monotone and electronic voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KlasenMicheal

Firstly, it's great that you're pursuing your passion for scriptwriting! Considering your background and interest in creative writing, you have a solid foundation.

In Ireland, the film and television industry is growing, and there are opportunities to explore. Networking is crucial, so consider joining industry events, reaching out to local filmmakers, or attending scriptwriting workshops.

While FAS courses might not align perfectly with your goals, there are independent scriptwriting workshops or online platforms where you can enhance your skills.

Pitching to the UK is a viable option, given the proximity and the larger market. Research production companies, attend pitch events, and consider submitting your work to script competitions.

Explore scriptwriting software like Celtx or Trelby for free downloads. Use your time out of work to develop your series concept and pilot script. Platforms like BBC Writersroom or Channel 4's screenwriting programs might be worth exploring.

Remember, perseverance is key in the industry. Good luck with your scriptwriting journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

Back in the day, and for a small fee, you could send your first draft to the screen writers guild.

They would keep a copy and give you a digital time / date stamp.

This way if you sent it off to some producer and it was turned down,, Then some time later you saw a movie that looked like your screenplay,, you had a way for redress.

Also a screenplay not formatted correctly will just get dumped in the bin,, They will not read it. Final Draft is the way to go..

• Advertisement
Advertisement