Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever get the girl you chased?

Options
  • 08-03-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

I'd love to hear guys experience of this.

Have you ever won over a girl who you were mad about but either she wasn't interested in you romantically or you asked her out already and she was already seeing someone?

I've heard it time and again that you should never chase a girl, she can think you're too easy/not enough of a challenge and lose interest and/or the relationship could be one sided etc.

Equally I know of at least one couple who are married with kids who the wife initially thought the husband was not her type (and never wanted to date him, initially) but through perseverance he won her over.

Is it worth chasing a girl you like? Has it worked for you? Generally, when I get the first hint that a girl might not be interested (even after a period of flirting) or is seeing someone else casually, I back away and forget about her. I hate "chasing" and feel that if she was interested she would make the effort. Maybe I'm wrong and am wondering if "chasing" her could lead to something more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

When guys "chase" girls who've already said they're not interested, it all gets very creepy. They're not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

no she got a restraining order :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Elessar wrote: »
    ...I back away and forget about her...

I think that once you let your feelings be known, you can do no more. You then have to protect yourself by moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If a girl demands that she be chased then she's probably not worth it. If she liked you back properly she wouldn't play silly love games.
    If she's interested she's interested. If not, well, not.
    My 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I had a pretty bad experience. It is too long a story to put here but basically if you watched Ross and Rachel in Friends, you get the idea of what it was like. I did not get the "I'm not interested line", I was getting the opposite so it was difficult to know what to do. Various times it looked like we would finally be in a relationship but it never happened and basically ended up breaking my heart. I tried, I chased, I failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I never chase. I make an effort, if it's reciprocated then something has a chance of happening, if not then I move on. I refuse to get sucked into the kind of games that happen all too often. Likewise if a girl shows an interest in me and I don't feel it, then I let her know subtly and quickly.

Life is too short for Game playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont chase,anyone who tells guys they're not interested but expects them to keep pursuing her clearly has issues

I think this is a question of semantics. What some people call chasing, others call pursuing and others call showing an interest. I'd never get into game playing and that, but I still think it can be used to mean pursuing a girl without becoming game playing or semi-stalking. But again it depends what you define chasing a girl as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I chased and it worked out for a few years of a good, happy relationship. My immediate thought was that she was waaayyyy outta my league, but I was stubborn and had nothing to lose. She was reluctant, but very nice about it and we got on well, even when discussing why she wouldn't go out with me :) and it was chasing to gain her trust and let her see what we could be like together really. We had a great time at the beginning, moved in and had two very happy years, but then had a shít year and broke up.
    I wonder sometimes if the origin of the problems that broke us up lay in the fact that I chased her, but I don't think so. I know a few couples who had a similar start and are doing great a way down the road.

I have no idea if that answers your question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Nah, been years since I "chased" a girl. Prefer to keep it cool now, if I like a girl, I'll ask for her number, text a little, if I'm vibing on her and she seems cool, ask her does she wanna go on a date nice and simple. Have not had a girl say no to a date yet, but had cancellations. My hard and fast rule then is say "OK, cool, how about *insert day*" And if there is another cancellation I am wasting my time so stop texting. No point in setting myself up for multiple cancellations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i say chase!! 20 years after the incident, when your looking back, you can always say tried! imagine how you would feel if you didnt try and you will always be thinking about what could have been!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 LAC

Yes I did, right into a ditch ;)

GV_NRG wrote: »
    i say chase!! 20 years after the incident, when your looking back, you can always say tried! imagine how you would feel if you didnt try and you will always be thinking about what could have been!

On the flip side you could end up thinking "Why was I such a sap? She said no once".

On the flip side you could end up thinking "Why was I such a sap? She said no once".

I'd fall into this category. When I was younger I did a fair bit of chasing (like a dog chasing a car - never gonna catch it) and all I got for my troubles was much wasted time. To think of all that time and energy that could have been spent on someone else more deserving of and willing to recieve my affections! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

The chase is better than the catch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Anytime I've chased a girl it never ended well on my part. A lack of social skills when I was younger meant I didn't really realise at the time when I was getting into creep territory. I'm not proud of that time of my life, I just simply didn't know better.

As such, I haven't really given chase to any girl I was interested in years.

That said, I know of someone who gave chase to a girl, put him through hell but he won her over in the end. I guess its different strokes for different folks.

That said, I know of someone who gave chase to a girl, put him through hell but he won her over in the end. I guess its different strokes for different folks.

Put him through hell? What kind of victory is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Galvasean wrote: »

Beats me, the guy was even writing songs about her at the time ( he had a bit of a knack for playing music. ) I just thought to myself he was really sucking up to her a bit much! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Pyrrhic.

I'd fall into this category. When I was younger I did a fair bit of chasing (like a dog chasing a car - never gonna catch it) and all I got for my troubles was much wasted time. To think of all that time and energy that could have been spent on someone else more deserving of and willing to recieve my affections! :rolleyes:

I did too! Sometimes I think back to the stuff I did because I wanted one girl and think "fcuk you fcuk you **** you" But in reality I'm not the same person, and she is still one of the coolest people I know. In fact, with my current state of mind regarding women, I could probably get a few dates with her, but for the moment I am on hiatus for all but one.

I do feel bad for some friends of mine now though, the types that GOT the girls they were chasing. When they leave their relationships now, (which for a few may be happening soon, and for one hopefully will happen) They won't have a clue how to go about persuing women for a while. It will take them a while to adjust to a casual attitude. But, C'est la vie! :)

That said, I will make different mistakes in the future, and likely make the same ones from the past a couple more times, but I know better how to handle it now! :) Hopefully I won't go puppy dog again for a girl. It's really annoying when I am that stupid! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Yes and no. We were friends but she knew I liked her, she wasn't really interested though, and I got with her one night but it just wasn't right in this case. If she's worth chasing I say go for it but know that it may never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Recent example

Made eyes with nice looking girl in a group of friends.
    Talked for a bit (maybe 10 minutes) and got her number.

Few days later.

Went through the texting courting routine bit (how was your night? etc etc)

Suggested a meetup on certain day.
    She's working.

Suggested a meetup on a more convenient day.
    She's working. (bar work)

After 2 suggestions and no hint of suggesting an alternative which would be convenient for her. I let it be.

Moving right along. So no, I don't chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

I tried, I chased, I failed.

Yeah, but you tried. You failed, but you tried.

You gave it a shot. Pretty much nothing we do here is permanent, fair dues.

I get the impression a few people on this thread are mixing up 'chasing' someone with asking someone out...

Naos wrote: »
    Yeah, but you tried. You failed, but you tried.

You gave it a shot. Pretty much nothing we do here is permanent, fair dues.

Oh I wasn't saying lads shouldn't try, I just thought that was a mildly poetic way to end the post!

I was affected by that girl, so it obviously stayed with me for a while. I t was more than just meeting a girl and having the usual texting at the start and moving on. We both had feelings for each other so it is not like a lot of examples people are giving. I think different people have different definitions of chasing, so the examples will always be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

I had a pretty bad experience. It is too long a story to put here but basically if you watched Ross and Rachel in Friends, you get the idea of what it was like. I did not get the "I'm not interested line", I was getting the opposite so it was difficult to know what to do. Various times it looked like we would finally be in a relationship but it never happened and basically ended up breaking my heart. I tried, I chased, I failed.

I kinda on the same track as you parker kent,except i kinda accepted i wudnt get wit the girl i was crazy about and had really fallen for her and i do go out meet new women at weekends/college etc but still have feelings for this girl ive been mad about for over a year,we get on so well and its not just a friends thing,her sisters love me and think im a great guy but just the girl doesnt want a boyfriend,ive already accepted i wont get her but is it worth still trying?im far from being creepy or pushy but part of me still thinks there is a chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't chase anymore - I've got so disillusioned by it all that it's a 1 strike and you're out for the last while, if a girl makes the one excuse I'll presume there's no interest.

But chasing after some I've been mad about has worked. I'd met her at a 21st and was instantly attracted but felt she was cold. My best friend started seeing one of her best friend's after that night so now and again we'd cross paths and interest never appeared to pick up on her side though I did try charm her in my own little way.
    At another birthday I heard she'd be there so I decided I gave up and wasn't going to make any effort. Every time she joined us in conversation I would coincidentally leave to talk to others and now and again she came my way and we hung out all night and started kissing, mauling each other as others put it. We started going out after that. When we broke up she told me she was always interested from the start but wouldn't show it since she had other things going on (seeing someone else or not sure of a situation with someone).

So if you're not yet jaded by women then do chase if you really like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I've chased slightly. Well my gf had a bf about 18 months ago or so. Asked her for a drink and she said yes, but with it being Christmas we never got round to it. Ended up asking her again a while after and we got pretty serious very quickly, scared both of us off (she ended it after a month or two of seeing each other although I had looked to slow things down). We went a couple of months apart but both of us kept in touch on chat and then she started chasing me and it's been pretty good since then!

When I look back on the time we spent apart I definitely chased her when chatting online, never once did I drunk call or text her though. I've always been of the opinion not chase until my current gf, you'll come across one who makes you discard what you normally do. They're the ones who are usually worth it!

I'd like to draw a distinction between those who permanently chase girls and those who chase a girl once in the blue moon. Big difference in the personality of those guys in my book.

...I'd like to draw a distinction between those who permanently chase girls and those who chase a girl once in the blue moon. Big difference in the personality of those guys in my book...

+1

There is only one girl I've ever met that I'd chase. She's the kind of girl poetry is written about! Unfortunately, she's a serial monogomist.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    ...There is only one girl I've ever met that I'd chase...

And would I get her? I shouldn't think so :rolleyes: I'd rather be a fool who knows for sure, though.

Advertisement