Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubic sector reform. Finally.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

orourkeda wrote: »
    €20 return flights to London are one thing.

A functioning public sector that treats it's staff fairly is another thing entirely.

how about a public sector that treats the rest of us tax payers fairly and stops taking the piss , and i know we will have some public sector workers getting on having a stroke because i suggest SOME of them really really take the piss

example :
    i work as a IT contractor for a private company who works for various gov departments , i get sent all over the country and have seen some shocking
    piss taking , no only piss taking but laughing about it 2 my face

one time i was in a agri dept outside dublin to install equipment
    arrived at 9:00 am but only 1 person in the dept , by half nine all the rest have arrived , the breakdown gender wise was about 15 middle aged women and 1 man of the same age bracket ( not being sexist its just how the figures breakdown )
    from 9:30 till 10:30 2 groups of women were talking at either end of the office , one about a wedding and the other about big brother

the phones were HOPPING and not one person in the 2 groups lifted a phone , the only person in the office working was the bloke who by the look on his face was in his own hell
    i looked at him with all the phones ringing and the girls yapping and he rolled his eyes to heaven , shook his head slowly and put his hands in his head

come 10:45 ON THE BUTTON the 2 groups left and went to the canteen for the 1st tea break , with not a ****ing thing done ALL morning , NOTHING

i felt like shouting at them 2 do some ****ing work but i would be sacked not them, because i don't have a union wiping my lazy fat arse for me

but this is not a isolated thing , and not just large arsed women either :D
    ** if you saw the job dodging , laziness and indifference some state
    workers have you would crack up **

we have no chance of sorting this out because its part of the system ,
    whos going to be sent to look at this??
    more people from the very system that's ****ed :eek::eek:

really drives me mad 2 see this ****

next time you ring a gov dept and no one answers the phone just think of the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

dj jarvis wrote: »
    next time you ring a gov dept and no one answers the phone just think of the above
    The person whose job it is to answer the phone was probably on leave and their union maybe forbids them to do another's work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

Wake me up,
    When the begrudgery ends ...

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - Don't hold your breath about reform, I'll believe it when I see it.

The problem with the Public Sector is that the longer you're there the more respect you get. That's why people get away with doing nothing. If something is tried to get done these fools run to their unions. What did Eddie Hobbs say recently?:
    “Don’t spend your life working in the public sector, whatever you do. If you’ve ever had the mis-fortune to see how many public sector companies work, it must be physiologically destroying. They clock in and out for many years with no incentive, challenges or reward, they’re basically drones. Also, the only way you can get fired in the public sector is if you are seen by CCTV actually murdering a work colleague. This system needs to be changed and, also, to reward workers that do make an effort.”

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mheykfqley/

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    The person whose job it is to answer the phone was probably on leave and their union maybe forbids them to do another's work?

Sure is that not the problem :confused::confused: "its not my job to answer the phone"
    god forbid some one does some work in this kip
    why are public worker shielded from normal working practices like the private sector???
    but when everyone has left and gone abroad they will have no need for them anyway
    and it not really begrudgry when i see my children have to suffer in the future because no one want to tackle the bloated over staffed civil service
    if it was all ok why are they going mental to do something about it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭amacca

Moan Burton! Jesus, imagine having to live with her:eek:

Do not tell me what to imagine.

Anyway, why would I want to imagine that when I can imagine my own exotic harem incentivized to make me the happiest most sexually fulfilled man in the universe while not moaning or whinging or nagging or telling me ways I could improve myself at all..ever.

Imagination should be reserved for happy things......reality will kick you in the hole often enough.

and it not really begrudgry when i see my children have to suffer in the future because no one want to tackle the bloated over staffed civil service
    if it was all ok why are they going mental to do something about it ???
    What did Garret Fitzgerald say the other night on RTÉ? He wanted to bring an Economist grade into the Civil Service but the Civil Servants objected. Would we be in this recession now if there were more brains and less drones in the CS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Do people honestly believe there will be any meaningful reform in the public sector under Labour. The labour party endorsed by the unions.

Do you expect to see the required correction in reduction of staff and budget? I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I tried to warn the electorate several times that a vote for labour was a vote for the unions, and I was laughed at and jeered. Well who's laughing now eh. You know, I'm not much on speeches, but its so gratifying to......leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed, thank you, bye...

Maybe I wanted to vote to protect the unions?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Having worked in the private sector, semi state and now public sector i have seen just as many wasters and just as many bad practices in each sector, if posters here want to slap each others backs for being private sector workers and choose to ignore the the role the irish private sector had in bring down this economy then carry on, but remember a slap on the back is only a few inches from a kick in the hole which is probally more fitting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Oh the irony...... a ranting thread on whats rotten in the public sector started at 9:48am on a working day and running throughout.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Having worked in the private sector, semi state and now public sector i have seen just as many wasters and just as many bad practices in each sector, if posters here want to slap each others backs for being private sector workers and choose to ignore the the role the irish private sector had in bring down this economy then carry on, but remember a slap on the back is only a few inches from a kick in the hole which is probally more fitting!

missing the point i think , im not paying for ANY lazy bastards in the private sector , they can do what the hell they want , in the end they will be found out and sacked , proper order
    but in the public sector they can sit for 40 years , get a good pension and i pay for it , as do you
    do i not have the right to question its efficiency ?
    and you say the private sector had a hand in the collapse in the economy ?
    funny most people i know that worked in the private sector lost and lost big time , no pensions , no holidays , no contracts , no sick pay , as usual the people working in the hardest of conditions get the most flak

i go to a certain gov dept 3/4 times a week , out back is the post room ,
    EVERY time i go here , 4/5 grown men are sitting playing cards , EVERY time , no matter what the time of day
    now your telling me ALL of us should spend our taxes like this , private or public ??
    these men will also get pensions 2 boot .
    Have NOTHING against ANY sector but if im paying the bills i want the work done for the benefit of all , not the chosen few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I find Revenue pretty good to deal with.
    The helpline has answered any question I ever had.
    The one time I was ever dissatisfied the Executive Officer came, escalated it and gave me all his details and direct line and rang me with updates.

ROS, their online system is a credit to them

On the other hand, the first department I'd go after if I were minister is what's known as "da Department" and that's a nice name for it
    The Department of Agriculture has more wasters and arcane procedures then anywhere.
    You fill up sheets of stock numbers line by line with a biro and a form. And someone types it in their end. I asked if they have an online system, I offered to email it, I offered to post a CD with an Excel file and got laughed at.
    They invent forms just to keep people employed. And don't get me started on their inspectors :mad:

There are brilliant people in the public service and there are wasters.

But I think if you or I joined with a good attitude and ready to work, eventually you'd get worn down by your colleagues.
    Why kill yourself when the person there longer gets ahead of you? :(

Do you think that no one payed through the nose for private sector services during the celtic tiger, half qualified plumbers and carpenters charging crazy money for crap work, i know tradesmen who laughed at public sector pay 5 years ago and wouldnt take up a job in the public sector. Now when things are bad they want to blame the public sector for all the problems. Private sector pay rates drove up public sector rates, private sector speculation drove the celtic tiger out of control.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Do you think that no one payed through the nose for private sector services during the celtic tiger, half qualified plumbers and carpenters charging crazy money for crap work, i know tradesmen who laughed at public sector pay 5 years ago and wouldnt take up a job in the public sector. Now when things are bad they want to blame the public sector for all the problems. Private sector pay rates drove up public sector rates, private sector speculation drove the celtic tiger out of control.

sorry but your talking rubbish in my opinion , some people did go nuts granted , but i worked in a industry where most people got made redundant at the height of the boom , they told us all 2 become contractors or leave , lost all rights and privileges , and don't say go else where and get another job because 95% of my industry done this , hot off the heals of the PD's sponsored race 2 the bottom , i know because im suffering it now , very little work , cant get social welfare , house 2 pay for
    2 kids and can be told tomorrow no more work , no come back ,no home , no help for me
    and i look at these ****ers sitting playing cards and wonder how can this happen

and worse still im broke, i have feck all work but the government still look for taxes off me 2 pay 5 blokes 2 play cards ,
    well **** off 2 that i say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

So they decided to split the dept of finance to give Joan a job...sounds like public reform allright. Come back FF all is forgiven!!!

There are good card players in all sectors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i really hope some of Carlow county council's planners get the boot....... most of them cant even read drawings properly... could never understand how someone that is really a geologist can be considered qualified to be a planning officer. Surely a civil engineer would be better suited to that role.

could never understand how someone that is really a geologist can be considered qualified to be a planning officer. Surely a civil engineer would be better suited to that role.
    Agreed, we need more engineers in the public sector as they are trained problem solvers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Nolanger wrote: »
    Agreed, we need more engineers in the public sector as they are trained problem solvers.

What we need are process engineers. I'd be truly shocked if there were none employed in the PS..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

missing the point i think , im not paying for ANY lazy bastards in the private sector , they can do what the hell they want , in the end they will be found out and sacked

Apart from the private bankers and private developers that we are all paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Brendan Howlin, former secretary of the Irish Transport and General Workers' Union, is now Minister for Public Expenditure & Reform.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Only in Ireland!

sorry but your talking rubbish in my opinion , some people did go nuts granted , but i worked in a industry where most people got made redundant at the height of the boom , they told us all 2 become contractors or leave , lost all rights and privileges , and don't say go else where and get another job because 95% of my industry done this , hot off the heals of the PD's sponsored race 2 the bottom , i know because im suffering it now , very little work , cant get social welfare , house 2 pay for
    2 kids and can be told tomorrow no more work , no come back ,no home , no help for me
    and i look at these ****ers sitting playing cards and wonder how can this happen

and worse still im broke, i have feck all work but the government still look for taxes off me 2 pay 5 blokes 2 play cards ,
    well **** off 2 that i say

I know a number of people working for a large multinational company and they have are have it pretty sweet to be fair, pool tables at work, "working from home (bed)" sometimes when hungover, good pay and good bonuses.

I know a number of people working for a large multinational company and they have are have it pretty sweet to be fair, pool tables at work, "working from home (bed)" sometimes when hungover, good pay and good bonuses.

as i said some done well , but i would imagine they are far and few between ,
    NO ONE i know is doing "well" , plenty hanging on by fingertips
    my point was that certain civil servants ( and not front line , they saved my life 1 year ago ) know they cant get sacked , and do nothing , how is this right???
    one case springs 2 mind , a teacher who was suspended over child protection issues on full pay until the case was investigated , 13 YEARS later the teacher is getting full pay :confused::confused::confused:
    now its not the teachers fault its taken so long , but it is another civil servant investigating the case , me and you are paying for all this crap
    its not right and needs to be stamped out , no one yet has come up with a good reason why each department is not looked at in detail and let chancers try justify the position they hold

if i see they clear out the dead wood , have a quality civil service then i will support them , the way it is , no chance

Advertisement