Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

starting strength -no training partner?

• 07-03-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

How can I do starting strength without a training partner, Its a must when doing bench press I feel and how many sets should I rest in between sets and if im too heavy to do even 1 pull up are there any substitutes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Hey,

You dont need a training partner. You can get a spotter for bench once it gets very heavy and you worry about the bar dropping on you.

Are you only starting off? If so you have a long time before you even have to worry about it. I have been doing it for about 9 months and I am nowhere near needing a spotter.

In terms of pulls ups I used to not be able to do any, once I got stronger and the body weight dropped I can gradulaly do more, only max about 8 mind you! Try negative pull ups to get started, jump up and try and lower yourself down as slowly as possible.

In terms of rest, if you are starting off maybe 30 seconds between sets. As the weight gets heavier whatever you need to make sure you complete all the reps. I take 3 minutes in between sets for squats and OH press.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Hey,

You dont need a training partner. You can get a spotter for bench once it gets very heavy and you worry about the bar dropping on you.

Are you only starting off? If so you have a long time before you even have to worry about it. I have been doing it for about 9 months and I am nowhere near needing a spotter.

In terms of pulls ups I used to not be able to do any, once I got stronger and the body weight dropped I can gradulaly do more, only max about 8 mind you! Try negative pull ups to get started, jump up and try and lower yourself down as slowly as possible.

In terms of rest, if you are starting off maybe 30 seconds between sets. As the weight gets heavier whatever you need to make sure you complete all the reps. I take 3 minutes in between sets for squats and OH press.

Best of luck!

He should be talking waay longer than 30 seceonds rest between sets.

Remmy wrote: »
    He should be talking waay longer than 30 seceonds rest between sets.

I can only speak from experience, when I was squatting, benching and pressing the bar I took 30 seconds between sets. As things got tougher that increased to 45 seconds, a minute and so on.

Each to their own I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I can only speak from experience, when I was squatting, benching and pressing the bar I took 30 seconds between sets. As things got tougher that increased to 45 seconds, a minute and so on.

Each to their own I suppose!

Yeah fair enough everyones different.Im the total opposite.I need a good 2 mins in between sets to make sure to make sure im not going into fatigued.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Remmy wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough everyones different.Im the total opposite.I need a good 2 mins in between sets to make sure to make sure im not going into fatigued.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Your level of fatigue and length of time between sets is going to be directly proportional to your level of experience. A dude lifting the bar is gonna need f*ck all recovery time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

According to his log, Mrpink is squatting 140kg 5x5 - even 1 minute seems like f-all!!

But as Hanley said, your rest period depends on the experience of lifter, along with the weight and the intensity of particular lift. As a rule of thumb, just lift when you feel able to. Be honest with yourself though, don't take unnecessarily long breaks.

In relation to the spotter, just ask anyone near by. No one minds! As you lift more you'll become better at judging your fatigue so you can anticipate when you'll fail. As you lift more, this means you'll only need a spotter for top sets or every other work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How can I do starting strength without a training partner, Its a must when doing bench press I feel and how many sets should I rest in between sets and if im too heavy to do even 1 pull up are there any substitutes?
    You won't need a spotter for ages.

Even when you do need one there are alternatives. i never have a spotter.
    you can bench in a cage with pins, although make sure that it isn't the only one availible.
    There are two flat benches in my gym, both have multiple hooks for holding the bar, if I don't get a rep out I just re-rack on a lower hook. Bottom hook, which is right above chest

Sangre wrote: »
    According to his log, Mrpink is squatting 140kg 5x5 - even 1 minute seems like f-all!!
    He said short times starting off.

As the weight gets heavier whatever you need to make sure you complete all the reps. I take 3 minutes in between sets for squats and OH press.

Sangre wrote: »

But as Hanley said, your rest period depends on the experience of lifter, along with the weight and the intensity of particular lift. As a rule of thumb, just lift when you feel able to. Be honest with yourself though, don't take unnecessarily long breaks.

In relation to the spotter, just ask anyone near by. No one minds! As you lift more you'll become better at judging your fatigue so you can anticipate when you'll fail. As you lift more, this means you'll only need a spotter for top sets or every other work out.

And if you read my post above you would have noticed I said I take 3 minutes rest between squat sets.... ;)

Edit: just noticed Mellor covered that off for me!

Advertisement